How vegan are you?

How vegan are you?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
YYY. A bit unrelated, but after telling my friend I'm Vegan and explaining it to him he said "Oh, so you don't eat any animal products. That's cool. Is there a diet where you don't eat..like..anything?"

I said "Yeah, it's called being dead.". We still laugh at him to this day.

I think you're a vegetarian. Questions 2 and 3 would be an automatic "no" to a vegan.

I don't care if someone is my friend or if the waiter is charming, I'm not a humanist, so I would politely refuse to my friend and briefly, evenly explain why (she clearly needs to know) and waiters are charming because they want tips. There will be a larger tip for the waiter who efficiently replaces the offending item with a coffee containing soy milk.

Question number 1 lies outside of most rational vegan philosophy. The "desert island" or "plane crash" scenario is almost completely unlikely to occur in most people's lives and is often used as a red herring argument by carnists. People eat other people when dying on a glacier covered mountain so I am not especially moved by this question on any level.

No to all 3 choices. Yes I have been starved for a week when I was 13 because I would not eat a piece of fish, that same piece was put in front of me 3 times a day for a week.

My grandparents used to try to force me to eat meat and even they never did something so horrible. I'm sorry.

The problem though is that three or four days of climbing (not just walking) in below freezing temps requires a lot more calories than light activity at room temperature.

I would not bother with an animal the first or second day, I'd still be searching for any plant based foods, nuts, etc.

The bird could actually kill you faster of food poisoning if it hadn't been cooked so there's also a problem.

However, people do things they thought they would not do in moments of desperation. Like eat their neighbor. Donner Party you know.

However I think the question is silly because it doesn't have anything to do with rational veganism - which is the choice to eat plants when you're not dying in the desert. That people can technically eat meat in a famine doesn't mean they should other wise.