Is sea moss really as great for nutrition?

Thank you! I can't find any groceries there, just an App and other things.

OK. Cannot find any information of that there. OK, so you have an (free) account there and just can look up the nutritional values of all possible foods. Well, I will try it. But even if I will make it, I will not be able to bin ich nicht fähig bzw. nur eingeschränkt die Nährwerte as I do not have any idea of nutritional values.

But even if I manage to do it, I won't be able to (sensibly) judge these products by their nutritional values, or only to a limited extent, because unfortunately I have no idea about nutritional values (and food).

I found a number of listings in my cronometer account.

I put in 100g of Irish sea moss.

It did not have a lot of nutrition.

FWIW, some of the edible Japanese seaweeds can be very nutritious, but you have issues with possible ocean pollution.

Many thanks for checking!

It did not have a lot of nutrition.
Yes, the old problem, some say it's a super food (as said here), one with the most nutrients, others say something completely different.

FWIW, some of the edible Japanese seaweeds can be very nutritious, but you have issues with possible ocean pollution.
Yes, unfortunately you "never" know whether a product is contaminated or not or to what extent. One can probably only judge by probabilities.

Many thanks again!

Sea Moss MAY be good for a number of things.
I think the main benefit of any sea vegetable is the Omega 3 content.
The science /nutrition of Omega 3 isn't entirely established either.
Vegans do have some issues with getting enough omega 3.
Most of us eat foods rich in ALA but there really aren't any plant based foods with EPA and DHA. So, I, like many other vegans take a supplement. You would have to eat like 50 tbsp of sea moss to get what one capsule contains.

Many thanks for the links.

So it sounds to be quite a normal product (if one could call sea moss that at all), just having some more Omega 3 (that, I assume, others might have as well).

Sea Moss MAY be good for a number of things.
I think the main benefit of any sea vegetable is the Omega 3 content.
The science /nutrition of Omega 3 isn't entirely established either.
Vegans do have some issues with getting enough omega 3.
Most of us eat foods rich in ALA but there really aren't any plant based foods with EPA and DHA. So, I, like many other vegans take a supplement. You would have to eat like 50 tbsp of sea moss to get what one capsule contains.

I don't understand why people think this---the only good sources of omega 3's other than plants are fish, certainly not a staple on most omnivore diets.
Omega 3, 6 and 9 are essential fatty acids--ALA. People have different abilities to covert ALA to the needed DHA & EPA which are only found in their preformulated states in sea foods, both fish (that eat sea veggies) and plants like seaweeds and algae.
I never ate fish even though I grew up omni. I know I get more ALA from all kinds of seeds and nuts than I ever did as an omni

I believe sea moss is more a marketing gimmick than anything you need. It contains lots of minerals, which is not necessarily a good thing, and can contain contaminants

Reactions: Lou
Oops, OK, I thought minerals are always, at least generally, good. It is not like that?

Oops, OK, I thought minerals are always, at least generally, good. It is not like that?
Sometimes it's too much of a good thing.

This is just off the top of my head, the minerals that you have to be careful Not to get too much of

Iron
Potassium
Magnesium
Calcium

You can not get TOO much from food. but it's with the supplements that you have to watch out.

I think all of the above can actually poison you if you take too much. Potassium might be the most dangerous.

Iron also can be very bad. but there is a built in early warning system. When your stools turn black and rock hard - you are getting too much iron.

Also you need to be careful with Vitamin A. But again there are warning signs. You skin, especially on your hands and feet will turn yellow. Also if you go hiking and bunnies start to follow you around.

Last edited:

This is just off the top of my head, the minerals that you have to be careful Not to get too much of

Iron
Potassium
Magnesium
Calcium

You can not get TOO much from food. but it's with the supplements that you have to watch out.

I think all of the above can actually poison you if you take too much. Potassium might be the most dangerous.

Iron also can be very bad. but there is a built in early warning system. When your stools turn black and rock hard - you are getting too much iron.

Also you need to be careful with Vitamin A. But again there are warning signs. You skin, especially on your hands and feet will turn yellow. Also if you go hiking and bunnies start to follow you around.
...and iodine! We do need some iodine, but too much can be bad for your thyroid!
I don't have anything against sea moss, but when I find out of the ordinary foods suddenly touted as 'health foods' it definitely triggers some suspicion.
Another thing to consider is the source- is it free of containments? Also, can the nutritional contents be measured, or can they differ from one place to another?

Lots of vitamins and minerals work both with each other, and against each other. If you get too much of one it can interfere with absorption of another. I remember this is particularly true of B's.
Potassium and sodium work together, where too much of one reduces the other.

Iron
Potassium
Magnesium
Calcium

Ah OK, didn't think it was like that with Magnesium and Calcium.

...and iodine! We do need some iodine, but too much can be bad for your thyroid!
I don't have anything against sea moss, but when I find out of the ordinary foods suddenly touted as 'health foods' it definitely triggers some suspicion.
Another thing to consider is the source- is it free of containments? Also, can the nutritional contents be measured, or can they differ from one place to another?

Lots of vitamins and minerals work both with each other, and against each other. If you get too much of one it can interfere with absorption of another. I remember this is particularly true of B's.
Potassium and sodium work together, where too much of one reduces the other.
Just paying attention to all of this and, of course, much more besides, makes a reasonable / correct diet incredibly difficult, if at all possible. It seems to me that it could only be a coincidence if someone ate "right".

Just paying attention to all of this and, of course, much more besides, makes a reasonable / correct diet incredibly difficult, if at all possible. It seems to me that it could only be a coincidence if someone ate "right".
....mmmmm, no!
Dr Michael Greger has spent his career researching nutrition. He's no shill, and his profits go right back into his work

the daily dozen is a list of food catagories and serving sizes that will give you optimum days nutrition--as written it's only 1200 to 1400 calories so you eat more.
It's not about obsession, but having an understanding of what's best and doing your best

I don't understand why people think this---the only good sources of omega 3's other than plants are fish, certainly not a staple on most omnivore diets.
I think it's from a small group of people who don't want to supplement and get all their nutrition from real food. and if you are vegan its either supplements or

Actually in practice it's not really all that hard.

I've always liked the flextarian's Haiku
Eat food,
Not too much.
Mostly plants.

Also there is the five simple rules

1. Eat Plenty of Fruits and Vegetables ·
2. Get Enough Fiber ·
3. Stay Hydrated ·
4. Eat a Variety of Foods ·
5. Minimize Overly Processed Foods.

Reactions: Brian W
Actually in practice it's not really all that hard.

I've always liked the flextarian's Haiku

2. Get Enough Fiber ·
3. Stay Hydrated ·
Michael Pollan, one of my favorite omnivores :)
I still credit his book "The Ominivores Dillema" with getting people to eat less meat

• Agree
Reactions: Lou
Dr Michael Greger has spent his career researching nutrition. He's no shill, and his profits go right back into his work
Many thanks for the link, yes, I remember seeing information and videos from him from time to time (when I'm looking for answers about nutrition). Just downloaded his App.

I just noticed: under "Whole grain" (of the Daily Dozen) it says that you can eat rice, for example. At least some (experts) say that you shouldn't eat rice anymore because of the heavy metals in it (arsenic, etc.).

Somehow statements like this make me incredibly suspicious:

Epb0xpl.png

"How Not to Die (by by Michael Greger) reveals the groundbreaking scientific evidence behind the only diet that can prevent and reverse many of the causes of disease-related death."

I think it's from a small group of people who don't want to supplement and get all their nutrition from real food. and if you are vegan
That was always my thought, no supplements as a vegan. But apparently that's just not possible / sensible (perhaps not even for an omnivore).

Eat food,
Not too much.
Mostly plants.

2. Get Enough Fiber ·
3. Stay Hydrated ·

Thank you. Yes, that really does seem to be something to be aware of, think that is what many / most "experts" say / would agree to.

Last edited: