Is sea moss really as great for nutrition?

Many thanks for the link, yes, I remember seeing information and videos from him from time to time (when I'm looking for answers about nutrition). Just downloaded his App.

yeah. the daily dozen does make nutrition less rocket science. Just a checklist
I just noticed: under "Whole grain" (of the Daily Dozen) it says that you can eat rice, for example. At least some (experts) say that you shouldn't eat rice anymore because of the heavy metals in it (arsenic, etc.).

many advocates of rice, including Gregar, have workarounds for the arsenic. Soaking rice, washing rice, and types of rice

California grown basmati rice is maybe the safest bet.

Somehow statements like this make me incredibly suspicious:

"How Not to Die (by by Michael Greger) reveals the groundbreaking scientific evidence behind the only diet that can prevent and reverse many of the causes of disease-related death."

Yeah, too much spin. A lot of advocates are guilty of that. "Only"?! C'mon, Really?!
That was always my thought, no supplements as a vegan. But apparently that's just not possible / sensible (perhaps not even for an omnivore).
I keep mine to a minimum. I still take a multi - which may not be necessary. Vitamin D, omega 3, and B12,

many advocates of rice, including Gregar, have workarounds for the arsenic. Soaking rice, washing rice, and types of rice
Didn't know it is possible at all to get arsenic and other heavy metals out of the rice by soaking/washing (because it will probably be absorbed into the rice via the root and / or else). Hope that will not get out nutrients as well.

Many thanks for the links!

the only diet that can prevent and reverse many of the causes of disease-related death."

Yeah, too much spin. A lot of advocates are guilty of that. "Only"?! C'mon, Really?!

But I'm still convinced of course that a "reasonable" diet can do that. And actually I would (want to) believe that Michael's work / website can / should be classified as trustworthy. Or if not his, then whose?

I keep mine to a minimum. I still take a multi - which may not be necessary. Vitamin D, omega 3, and B12,
Ah, yes, that's good idea, just one supplement with the most important substances. Easy to handle. Yes, unfortunately one never knows whether it is really necessary or not (unless a corresponding blood count is made).

But I'm still convinced of course that a "reasonable" diet can do that. And actually I would (want to) believe that Michael's work / website can / should be classified as trustworthy. Or if not his, then whose?
Another good one is Julieanna Herver. She "invented The Vegiterranean Diet. A vegetarian version of the Mediterranean diet. She has several books out.

couple of old threads worth checking out

Ah, great, never heard of Julieanna Herver, thank you!

And many thanks for the links!

Ah, great, never heard of Julieanna Herver, thank you!

And many thanks for the links!
I always recommend her book The Idiots Guide to a Plant Based Diet

Oh, and Dr Greger no longer green lights any rice because of the arsenic levels.
One thing to know about Greger--as fanatical about researching optimum nutrition, and striving for the best, he's really never an extremist, but far more a realist then those who often quote him

Oh, and Dr Greger no longer green lights any rice because of the arsenic levels.
One thing to know about Greger--as fanatical about researching optimum nutrition, and striving for the best, he's really never an extremist, but far more a realist then those who often quote him

no more rice? oh my. I have to figure out some thing else to eat.

no more rice? oh my. I have to figure out some thing else to eat.
rice is so crazy easy, and so good! :worried:.
I've been having it way too often myself. My son can eat it every day, and the Instant Pot makes it even easier.
I don't like it cooked like pasta either.

Dr Greger actually has a 13 part video series on arsenic! And he isn't wrong about rice either-

...and then I bring it up to my son who isn't concerned so much about the arsenic--but the environment damage rice fields enact. The flooding for harvest inhibits the oxygen plants should release in the air, and the amount of water needed....:argh:

I've got oat groats, farro, and barley and need to use those more. Farro is ok as a sub, and I love oat groats for breakfast, barley ok for breakfast.
I need to expand into millet and sorghum
Oh yeah, wheat berries are great!

Reactions: Lou
Many thanks for the book and the other links.

So a very easy-to-handle, good-tasting food is no longer usable, what is a pity.

I've got oat groats, farro, and barley and need to use those more. Farro is ok as a sub, and I love oat groats for breakfast, barley ok for breakfast.
I eat and like oats very much (but I am not sure about their nutritional values respectively if they were processed too industrially, not that good at all. Oat groats, maybe that's the same as bulgur. Or at least very similar. Would say bulgur is a very good substitute for rice (you have to take the coarse bulgur then), made like rice. The others ones, millet, etc. I need to try. Wheat berries, never heard of before, seems to be the same like or similar to full grain.

Sea moss is packed with vitamins and minerals and even some nourishing fatty acids. Plus, it's a great source of vegan protein. It's definitely worthy of all the healthy hype.

Could you recommend a brand / manufacturer or something like that for it?

Could you recommend a brand / manufacturer or something like that for it?
I just discovered this company. I bought some Omega 3 from them.
and while looking at their web page I saw that they also sell Sea Moss.

I'm not really convinced you need sea moss supplements but if you decide to get some this is probably as good a supplier as any. although the bottle was plastic, they donate money to an organization which removes plastic from the environment. They also plant a tree for each bottle they sell

Many thanks for the link!

and while looking at their web page I saw that they also sell Sea Moss.
So sea moss supplements? Or real sea moss?

The former are shown as sold out. No price to see.

Supplements is a good idea for sea moss. But some real sea moss could be good as well if you had recipes including sea moss.

I'm not really convinced you need sea moss supplements
Yes, it is often so difficult or impossible to find out (for normal people, even vor scientists may be) which products are basically good or not good, some "experts" / studies say its absolutely great / needful others do not or do restricted or the opposite.

they donate money to an organization which removes plastic from the environment. They also plant a tree for each bottle they sell
So for each plastic bottle (this is certainly not verifiable or at least with enormous effort)? But it perhaps somehow might be odd when a company sells supplements in plastic packaging at all. Respectively when the manufacturer (of such kind of products) uses such. Apart from the (possibly proven or unproven) adverse effects of plastic on food and skin contact, of course. It could seem very strange that this would not be taken into account at all (with manufacturers / sellers that sell such kind of products). Glas bottles cannot be that much more expensive. Respectively the price for those supplements is high anyway so a higher price for glas could not be that noticeable.

Glas bottles cannot be that much more expensive. Respectively the price for those supplements is high anyway so a higher price for glas could not be that noticeable.
I think they are. Plus they break. Personally, I do not like having glass bottles in the bathroom (where I take my vitamins and I regularly are bare foot). Although it hasn't really come up. Manufactures love their plastic bottles. They are so much lighter and sturdier than glass - so the shipping costs are much less. (which also saves energy).
It seems I rarely have a choice between glass and plastic in supplement purchases. so it's nice that this company actually recognized the issue and then does something about it.

How about this

or this

Yes, many thanks for the links. I could imagine that the gel and powder could be used to create the same texture in recipes as the sea moss.

Glass bottles cannot be that much more expensive.
The big problem with glass bottles is that it takes a lot of energy to make them new and recycling takes almost exactly the same amount of energy. That's a significant environmental problem. Then, when you consider that a discarded glass bottle causes many of the same problems for wildlife as a discarded plastic bottle, you get to see that glass containers only make environmental sense if they are reused multiple times.

This is made practical in Germany for soft drinks bottles by the widespread scheme of charging a deposit on a glass drinks bottle and then refunding it on the empty bottle's return, but I'm not aware of any similar scheme for medicine bottles or supplement jars. If, as in most countries, a supplement is bought in a glass jar and the empty jar is then thrown away, the environmental cost is far greater than if the packaging was plastic.

rice is so crazy easy, and so good! :worried:.
I've been having it way too often myself. My son can eat it every day, and the Instant Pot makes it even easier.
I don't like it cooked like pasta either.

Dr Greger actually has a 13 part video series on arsenic! And he isn't wrong about rice either-

...and then I bring it up to my son who isn't concerned so much about the arsenic--but the environment damage rice fields enact. The flooding for harvest inhibits the oxygen plants should release in the air, and the amount of water needed....:argh:

Oh yeah, wheat berries are great!
I have had "rice" made from pasta here in Sweden. I don't know if you can buy it in other countries because I don't know who makes it but I will be looking out for it in future.

EDIT: It's called Orzo

Orzo - Wikipedia

Last edited:
The big problem with glass bottles is that it takes a lot of energy to make them new and recycling takes almost exactly the same amount of energy. That's a significant environmental problem. Then, when you consider that a discarded glass bottle causes many of the same problems for wildlife as a discarded plastic bottle, you get to see that glass containers only make environmental sense if they are reused multiple times.

This is made practical in Germany for soft drinks bottles by the widespread scheme of charging a deposit on a glass drinks bottle and then refunding it on the empty bottle's return, but I'm not aware of any similar scheme for medicine bottles or supplement jars. If, as in most countries, a supplement is bought in a glass jar and the empty jar is then thrown away, the environmental cost is far greater than if the packaging was plastic.
OK. Somehow I remind completely different informations about that (as I regularyly do with everything).

And somehow I seem to remember the (skin) contakt with plastic, the contact of plastic with food is not good because of pollutants / poisons / hormones and / or whatever (according to some "experts" at least, other "experts" or other persons say different things or according to a complete failure of my weak memory).

...somehow I seem to remember the (skin) contakt with plastic, the contact of plastic with food is not good because of pollutants / poisons / hormones and / or whatever (according to some "experts" at least, other "experts" or other persons say different things or according to a complete failure of my weak memory).
Some plastics do indeed leach out some chemicals, although that quickly tails off over time. That's one reason a new car smells like a new car even though that isn't particularly healthy for you.

However, food-grade plastics have to be specifically designed not to do that (for all the obvious reasons). There's no more problem with milk coming in a plastic bottle than a glass one - at least from a consumer health point of view.

How the plastic breaks down and degrades once its useful life is done is a separate question. However, plastic polymers are VERY stable (hence why they take so long to break down) and so the very thing that makes them such a problem when thrown away into the environment is also exactly why they are so incredibly safe when destined for a landfill.

I suppose it's like everything; if people are careless with it then it'll cause lots of problems. Dealt with responsibly and it's very manageable.

Reactions: Brian W and Lou