Is Your Toilet Paper Vegan?

"Strictly speaking, Tissue products (toilet paper, hankies, facials, kitchen towel) cannot fulfill the strict requirements for vegan/vegetarian products." SCA's e-mail to me. Re-cycled paper does not seem to use gelatin.

SCA stands for Svenska Cellulosa Aktiebolaget (SCA, English: Swedish Cellulose Company).

But I assume they are talking about the UK market. The Cambridge English dictionary says the term "kitchen roll" is predominantly used in the UK, but also "kitchen paper, kitchen towel, US ALSO paper towel."

I can very easily believe that SCA's products do not full the requirements for being vegan.

But I do not believe that SCA cannot fulfill the requirements for making vegan products, for two reasons. First, the issue is not whether the products use gelatin, but where the gelatin comes from. As was stated before, gelatin can be derived from pectin, which is gotten from apples. Second, the fellow who made the video cited by AmySF in the second post in this thread stated on the YouTube page in his written comments: "Regarding paper towels, Brawny and Sparkle are animal free." If whoever makes Brawny and Sprite can do it, then SCA can do it--it just chooses not to.

I've been wanting a bidet.

In all seriousness, I am not sure that a bidet would be the answer to the toilet paper problem.
There are basically two types of bidet. One is the traditional French kind, which is a separate appliance, that is, separate from the toilet. One problem with them is that they take up about as much space as a toilet, and most American bathrooms do not have sufficient space to add a bidet. A second type of bidet is the modern Japanese kind, which is really a combination of toilet and bidet, and is designed to fit in your bathroom to replace your toilet. Whatever is washed from your bottom by the bidet spray just goes into the toilet and can be flushed away. Whether this could totally replace toilet paper, I don't know.

Another alternative might be the sitz bath. I think you can buy one of these that would fit into your existing toilet.
It has a pouch with a tube leading to a sort of bowl, which fits into the toilet seat. The pouch is filled with warm water, and hangs above the toilet, somewhat like an IV bag in a hospital. I think you can buy these in many pharmacies or medical supply stores for about $40. (You would take this out of the toilet after your "bath," then use the toilet as you normally would.)

I don't always feel clean after using tp.

Same here. There are two things you might try. There are various "wet wipes" or "moist wipes" (or whatever they are called).

For example,

https://www.cottonelle.com/products/cottonelle-fresh-care-flushable-moist-wipes

They are sold near the toilet paper in the supermarket. You would use these after you have used tp.
One caution: only use one before you flush. Otherwise, you might clog up the toilet. If you must use a second one, flush the first one first.

The other thing is to use a wet washcloth. Most of my washcloths are white. But I bought a set of dark washcloths that I use exclusively for washing my heine (sp?). (I hope this is not too disgusting to talk about.) These must be rinsed out constantly, and tossed into the washer whenever you are washing dark clothing. I live alone. But I would not suggest sharing such cloths with other members of the family or people you are living with.

Finally got an answer from Georgia Pacific,
"Thank you for contacting the Georgia-Pacific Consumer Response Center. Georgia-Pacific places tremendous importance on the opinions we receive from our consumers.

Gelatin is not used as raw material nor is it an intentional component of the raw materials sources by Georgia-Pacific for manufacturing Angel Soft bath tissue. I hope this information is helpful.

Georgia-Pacific Consumer Response Center

gpcrc@gapac.com | 800-283-5547

CAS-186743-Q9X4Y6"

Koch brought up Georgia-Pacific in 2005 - CorpWatch : US: Koch Buys Georgia-Pacific
"Koch Industries Inc. agreed to buy Georgia-Pacific Corp. for $13.2 billion, adding Dixie paper cups, cardboard boxes and lumber to fuel and chemical businesses to become the largest privately held company in the U.S."

Reactions: David3
You can buy an inexpensive bidet attachment that simply hooks to the toilets water line, and lays under the back of the toilet seat. It has an adjustable water knob. I simply keep microfiber cloths (Harbor Freight freebie!), or cut up old absorbent cloths.
They're less than $30