Is Your Toilet Paper Vegan?

Joe

Forum Legend
Reaction score
I had dinner last night with a friend of mine, Karen, a retired chemist. The conversation eventually turned around to the topic of clogged toilets, and what could be done about them. Both Karen and I have had problems with clogged toilets. Karen's problem seems to stem from her husband, who apparently uses tons of toilet paper, causing clogs.

Then we got into the subject of what materials toilet paper is made of, and what makes it dissolve.

Toilet paper is made out of paper fibers, of course, but these fibers are held together by gelatin.

"What is the source of the gelatin?" I asked Karen.

"That's a good question," she replied. She said that the gelatin could come from either of two sources: 1) pectin, which is derived from apples, or 2) from the hooves of animals (like horses).

Both Karen and I belong to the same environmental organization, the president of which is a vegan. But what kind of toilet paper does he use? And is he a "true" vegan?

I'd hazard a guess that most people have no idea what exactly goes into making toilet paper, and if a vegan unknowingly uses non-vegan toilet paper, that doesn't make him a non-vegan.

This a timely topic for a thread, because I just ordered a ****-ton (pun intended) of Seventh Generation toilet paper from Amazon (actually, four 12-roll-packs), and I believe that's vegan.

Seventh Generation 100% Recycled Bathroom Tissue -- 4 Rolls

I also found this while doing a quick search:

Posted on the YouTube site:

Update: While Charmin uses animal parts in all of their toilet paper, the following don't: Recycled toilet paper, Cottonelle (my favorite is Cottonelle Ultra), Quilted Northern, and Angel Soft. Regarding paper towels, Brawny and Sparkle are animal free. Feel free to add other vegan-friendly brands in the comments. Thanks.

I'd hazard a guess that most people have no idea what exactly goes into making toilet paper, and if a vegan unknowingly uses non-vegan toilet paper, that doesn't make him a non-vegan.

My post was half-joking. I would not accuse someone of being a non-vegan over this.

Thank you for your research on this topic. :)

Hmmm... I always use a paper that specifies a large percentage of recycled fiber content. I used to use Marcal, which appears to take pride in openly advertising that it is "paper from paper- not trees", but started buying a local supermarket brand when Marcal started using plastic wrapping for their rolls instead of offering them individually wrapped in paper.

I think I wouldn't buy quilted toilet paper, either.

But seriously, Joe, thanks for posting! Something more to do research on.
Good to hear that recycled toilet paper is likely more vegen friendly than the branded fluffy stuff...

Asked SCA about this and got this back,
"Thank you for your email regarding our Cushelle toilet tissue.

Strictly speaking, Tissue products (toilet paper, hankies, facials, kitchen towel) cannot fulfill the strict requirements for vegan/vegetarian products. Our products consist of more than 95% of cellulose and 5% residual moisture. The paper making process requires the addition of process aids and chemicals, to ensure the required functionality of the tissue products.

All added tissue ingredients/ process aids have to be approved for safe use according the relevant chemical legislation in Europe. For approval toxicity tests are required. Secondly, we cannot exclude, that some tissue additives/ process aids might be based on animal derived chemistry (e.g. Gelatin, fatty acids, etc.).

We do not test our tissue products or materials on animals unless required by law.
We hope this information helps. Should you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact us again.
Yours sincerely,
SCA Hygiene Products Customer Service"

Cushelle is Charmin in Europe "From February 2010, the product's British brand name was changed to Cushelle by manufacturer SCA. ( see Charmin - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia and Consumer tissue )

..... the kind I use 95 % of the time is angel soft, so I guess I am okay............... And will make sure to stick to vegan only brands. Wow...

Damn...I can't believe I will be switching toilet paper brands after 60+ years...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scott.

It's always been Scott.

Lol

I find this fascinating. You really do learn something new everyday. Becoming vegan is definitely a journey.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Animallover21
I stopped buying Angel Soft TP because the Koch Brothers own the company that makes it, or it's a subsidiary or something, can't remember which. I'm currently buying Seventh Generation brand.

I haven't heard of the Koch Brothers but I assume this means they do animal testings. So I will search for a new brand that's cruelty free at Wal-Mart when I go shopping next.

Wait, WHAT? Does anyone know anything about UK brands? We just buy whatever brand is on offer (I have a thing about the cost of toilet paper - 33p a roll or less I'm okay with, up to 40p a roll if we're running a little low, and 50p a roll if we're basically out, but no more than that because it is literally money down the toilet :p).

I'm having a google now but I can't find anything...

Reactions: KLS52
Cushelle is SCA so ... nope. Ecoleaf at
Ethical Fashion Blog UK - Sustainable Clothing
" This product is Vegan"!
Supplying Vegan Products in wholesale quantities, Buy Vegan Products Online. Suppiers of animal free products. | Suma Wholefoods
Vegan Household and Cleaning Products
We supply Attitude, Bio D, Ecover, Earth Friendly, Faith and our own highly succsessful brand Ecoleaf. All of our cleaning products use the power of plants to create hygenic environments, and are free from irritant chemicals. None have ever been tested on animals.
also -
Buy Recycled Toilet Tissue Case of 10 | Traidcraft Online Shop

Last edited:
re Traidcraft Together Green Fairtrade Toilet Tissue
e-mail reply
"Thank you for your email, our product team have spoke to our manufacturers and they have confirmed that the Toilet Tissues does not contain gelatin and is suitable for vegan use.

Kindest Regards
Nicola Bryden"

re Eocleaf
e-mail reply
"I've never heard of a toilet paper containing gelatine. That's news to me. I do know that the glue on the toilet roll inners doesn't contain any animal byproducts, if that helps, and that the paper on the roll is made from only paper without any bleach or other ingredients.

Is that sufficient? I'm quite happy to look further if there's an aspect I've missed.

Kind regards

Gary Braithwaite
Suma Customer Information"

I replied and asked to be checked out with the manufacturers.