News Plant Based/Vegan

I like this concept
I like that the article pointed out that ultra-processed foods don't make up the bulk of a typical vegan's diet. I mean, omnivores have dead flesh and dairy multiple times a day, while someone like me has a Beyond burger maybe once every couple of weeks. Not that I'm supporting ultra-processed anything, but the implication (that probably comes from dead flesh producers) that vegans are more unhealthy because of something like a Beyond burger is lame (IMHO).

The concept that I liked was that you don't have to an existing produce - like hamburger of chicken nuggets - but make something new, original, unique. Although they are still making sausages - that is just the shape. Hopefully the flavor is something new.

I like that the article pointed out that ultra-processed foods don't make up the bulk of a typical vegan's diet.

yes I agree with that in general but just thinking about me as being typical....
I do have things like nuggets, patties, sausages only about once a week, I do consume what I think is called ultra processed food.
Aren't most plant milks and many breakfast cereals and bread considered ultra processed now. And I have those every day.

Reactions: Emma JC
While Beyond burgers and sausages are highly processed, so are the meat versions. As for replicating meat--where is the replication? Do they taste like cooked flesh? No, they taste like the seasoning, their texture is that of wheat, soy and other plant foods
When stem cell meats become available I will refer to them as replicants, but for now, the plant burgers and sausages are simply using the same seasoning and smoking techniques they use with beef, chickens and pig bases
Geez, people lost their minds when they used turkey for bacon and ham, now plants 🙄

If you want to speak about a healthy diet, why not specify it as wfpb, and leave the word vegan to mean "no animal products"
Gimme that bag of kettle chips, and a diet coke....

I get ticked off about people claiming that in order to be healthy as a vegan you need to log in some website to monitor your daily diet, and really watch how much of everything you eat. While it is true that wfpb is by far the superior diet to prevent and even reverse diseases. just knowing something about nutrition and quitting animals is no worse than the typical diet of an omnivore (with B12, which omnis usually need too...)
The whole "a vegan diet is quite possible with careful meal planning...) 🙄 . Sure if you don't find out how bad your old diet was

Last edited: