Announcement Post ratings (where is my Like button?)

yea, I don't mean disagreeing with someone, I mean simply clicking 'disagree'. I mean whatTF are you supposed to do about it? How can you reply?
If you get several disagrees, you may want to reevaluate your position. If you only get one or two, then the problem is probably with them. However, I don't foresee someone pouring their heart out into a post, and then a bunch of people clicking 'Disagree'.

• Disagree
Reactions: beancounter
And why only one selection per person per post? Can't something be simultaneously funny and optimistic, or informative and useful?

Yea, I guess the decision was made to hide it. Besides "disagreeing" with a post isn't necessarily negative in the sense that you believe it should be suppressed.

That's more appropriate for a dislike button anyway.

If you get several disagrees, you may want to reevaluate your position.

I disagree...I think it is possible for one person to be right and the whole world be wrong. Ask Galileo.

And is it really just too much trouble for people who disagree to explain why?

Reactions: Tom L.
I use the dislike button on news sites, but they are a bit more wild west than forums...it can be a bit hurtful to get dislikes, and nothing you can argue with, but that's the wild west....

There is a news site that I go to where people often get 80 dislikes, but that is just one person deleting their cookies, and multiply voting.....it still feels hurtful though. :p

one thing: so at the moment, a post could have 30 likes, but if it gets 7 disgrees, it gets hidden?

Wow, lots of thoughts on this! :)

I don't like that we can't click on more than one icon.
And why only one selection per person per post? Can't something be simultaneously funny and optimistic, or informative and useful?
That is a limitation of this feature. I don't think I can change that, unfortunately. I guess you'll just have to click the one button for which you feel the strongest.
Depending how people use this feature, this could just drive away anybody that doesn't fit in with the current set of active members. That is, it will tend to prevent the forum from evolving. Also even without hiding the post I imagine the "disagree" feature could discourage some people, especially newer members, if they are sensitive to such things.
I don't think there is a huge risk it will be used like that, at least not to a large degree. And I also think that while newcomers should be welcome to argue for their views, the other members should have an opportunity to give their feedback.

yes, it seems a bit like censorship....if someone doesn't like a post, they don't have to read it(barring mods, sometimes); if someone doesn't like a poster, they can put them on ignore(bar mods)
... and if someone doesn't like a negative rating, they can just ignore that too?
Yes, and it would only take 7 people that dislike a particular poster to effectively censor them. Given all the other buttons, I would think the disagree button would be more a friendly "hey, I disagree with that" but in that case it doesn't make sense to censor the post. Censoring the post makes the disagree button more like a report or red flag button.
7 ratings are actually quite a lot. In the past it's very rare that post has received as much as 7 likes. You make a good point though about the disagree button. In the default configuration, the disagree rating is categorized as neither positive nor negative - it's a neutral rating. For various reasons I changed it to negative, but I think now I would like to change it back.

Perhaps you(Indian Summer) can say what you hope to achieve by having a 'disagree' button.
Sometimes when you're disagreeing with someone in a thread, the discussion goes on back and forth for a while, until it's clear the opponent just doesn't have a very strong argument, but they are still producing blocks of text, just to get the last word. In these cases I think a simple "disagree" rating is the perfect response.

Maybe the use of disagree button should be restricted to the Debate forum and a few others, though. This is technically possible.
IS, to clarify...if a person receives a combination of 7 dislike and/or disagrees, the post will be hidden? Or is it solely the dislike button that will cause the thread to be hidden?
7 negative ratings. I have to define which ratings are negative in the configuration. (Currently, it's only "disagree".)
I don't think there is a 'dislike' button, only a 'disagree' button.
There was one, but I have disabled it.

Under ratings, what does the white number represent?

stats_zps669eb684.png

... and if someone doesn't like a negative rating, they can just ignore that too?

that's a joke, isn't it......if someone doesn't agree with what someone has gone to the trouble of writing, then they should be the ones who ignore the poster.....why make things easy for passive negativity?
Sometimes when you're disagreeing with someone in a thread, the discussion goes on back and forth for a while, until it's clear the opponent just doesn't have a very strong argument, but they are still producing blocks of text, just to get the last word. In these cases I think a simple "disagree" rating is the perfect response.
does that happen a lot?

doesn't seem worth all the potential passive aggression, just for that.

Last edited:

you don't get notifications for 'disagree's.(eta, well sometimes you do)

And there doesn't seem to be a way of finding out what posts were disagreed with........

So you get a kick in the balls, from who knows who.

Even VB hasn't got anything like that.

well notifications used to be a nice thing. Not any more.

Last edited:
Maybe we could simply try it out.
I have seen this in other places (e.g. on Amazon reviews) that there is an entry in the list where there is simply a message saying something like "Most posters think this message does not contribute to the thread" with a button "Show anyway" that allows to see the content. (I admit, most of the time this makes me curious and I click the button).

So we can just try this out - Please all "disagree" with my next posting, so we can see what it really does.

PS: And YES, in the "Alerts" (top of the page, right side) you will receive entries like "XXX rated your post 12345 "Disagree"