Announcement Post ratings (where is my Like button?)

True.

"I really can't explain what is wrong with your posting, but I somehow don't like it."

Nevertheless, in a discussion it can make it actually more obvious (and quicker) if some post has 10 "likes" (the old, and therefore great, way) or 5 "dislikes" than to have to wade through 25 answers to the post and its answers.
I didn't actualy disagee with this at all.

I just couldn't be assed to read it ..

CG, you learn to live with it :)

But, I must say, I am a tad disappointed that there are - so far - no "negative" ratings.
Being on the "Notable members" list in the "most negative ratings received" category might not be much, but it would be a start :)

vote-hiding posts is really a bit weird for a forum like this.

I disagree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it and I'ma gonna hide it so other people might not see it.

CG, you learn to live with it :)

But, I must say, I am a tad disappointed that there are - so far - no "negative" ratings.
Being on the "Notable members" list in the "most negative ratings received" category might not be much, but it would be a start :)
Where's the "blow me!"' button?

Last edited:
vote-hiding posts is really a bit weird for a forum like this.

I disagree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it and I'ma gonna hide it so other people might not see it.
Most people who claim that they will defend to the death your right to say whatever, would probably run in fear.

Most people who claim that they will defend to the death your right to say whatever, would probably run in fear.

I know; it is probably pathetic hyperbole most of the time..

That's why I think it should be changed to 'I would become homeless for 5 years to defend your right to free speech'.....people might think more carefully then.

Reactions: Tom L. and Spang
A message from your humble administrator:

We're going to find a configuration of the post rating features that most (or even all) of us can find acceptable. Post ratings work really well on another forum I'm on, and I have heard only good things about it.

The post hiding feature appears to be too controversial, so will probably be turned off. (It's effectively disabled at the moment as we don't have any negative rating buttons.)

"Disagree" is now a neutral rating. The "disagree" rating should probably be restricted to a few forums, such as the Debate forum.

Seems we need to define some "negative" categories ...

... my suggestions would be e.g. "dumb" (which I have used a few times on one other forum I attend that has the same forum software), but of course, we need some ideas better suited for a veg forum.

So I give you "Speciesist", "Preachy", "Inconsistent", and "Offensive" :D
I personally would like to have one or two negative (but not too unfriendly) rating buttons, for certain forums, but not sure what these buttons should be. Maybe a "sad smiley" button? Maybe a "raging angry smiley"? Maybe a "troll smiley"?

As for positive ratings, how about "constructive"?

Reactions: Andy_T
A message from your humble administrator:

We're going to find a configuration of the post rating features that most (or even all) of us can find acceptable. Post ratings work really well on another forum I'm on, and I have heard only good things about it.

The post hiding feature appears to be too controversial, so will probably be turned off. (It's effectively disabled at the moment as we don't have any negative rating buttons.)

"Disagree" is now a neutral rating. The "disagree" rating should probably be restricted to a few forums, such as the Debate forum.

I personally would like to have one or two negative (but not too unfriendly) rating buttons, for certain forums, but not sure what these buttons should be. Maybe a "sad smiley" button? Maybe a "raging angry smiley"? Maybe a "troll smiley"?

As for positive ratings, how about "constructive"?

There is already a "useful" option. I think that works for "constructive".

what would be good if we are to have a 'disagree' button, is a way to quote that disagreement with one click, so you can address someone; reply to their disagreement.:shrug:

This is probably controversial, but I've also configured the ratings feature so that if a post receives a high number of negative ratings (currently 7), the post will be "hidden". Users can still view the post by clicking a link from within the thread.

The post hiding feature appears to be too controversial, so will probably be turned off.

I think that is a good idea as hiding posts seems a bit pointless. If I'm understanding what you meant you could end up with a lot of posts hidden during a debate if there were two opposing points of view and only the bland, "on the fence" posts would stay.

I'm relieved that the hidden feature is disabled; I think that is horrible on forums.

I think the new buttons will be divisive, but since I can't see them on the tapatalk app, I won't be bothered by them anyway. I just have to stop liking posts on tapatalk because I don't know which category they would fall into. There is just a like button.

I've gotten two 'Agree', two 'Funny', and two 'Optimistic', for a total of six positives that aren't 'Like'. I've also gotten two 'Disagree'. As of this post, the number in the white column is '4', or 6 minus 2.

Ratings: 2189/0/0

What will the middle figure stand for?

I guess we are to few here to start bullying eachother with the dislike button. But I've been on forums that had to remove it becaue of bullying... :p

I was going to disagree with one of Spang's earlier posts just to break his berries.

If you get a "disagree" from me its likely meant to be funny and/or ironic.

Or i hate you. Heaps. :rofl:

I was going to disagree with one of Spang's earlier posts just to break his berries.

If you get a "disagree" from me its likely meant to be funny and/or ironic.

Or i hate you. Heaps. :rofl:

I love it - you have already broken the new system! I would give you a 'funny' rating, but I'm staging a silent protest.

If I 'Like' a post, it is also to be assumed that I in some way agree with the content and find it funny. And if you make me laugh I consider you useful, informative and friendly and in turn that makes me optimistic, therefore the post is automatically a winner.

***Warning: clicking the 'Creative' icon will cause this post to be hidden, because it has unwittingly morphed all the positive icons into one.
Click 'Disagree' to win an all expenses paid vegan brunch with IS.