Announcement Post ratings (where is my Like button?)

Interesting, to read about your experiences on other forums / fears for this one.

I have been a member of another forum that uses the same software (Best Fantasy Books), and they always had all the ratings, and as far as I know it has so far not created any problems.

This makes me pause. My thinking was that a bunch of nerds who only have in common that they like to read fantasy books would be a much more heterogeneous group than this group of vegans and vegetarians here, so I would think that even less of such problems might come up here.

On the other hand, of course, for us here veganism (and vegetarianism) is possible something we care about a lot, so it is more important for us than just what kind of books you read.

Nevertheless ... my suggestion would be ... let's try it out and see if it poses a problem ("Cross the bridge when you are there"). Clearly, I have not been a member of the forum for a long time, but so far I have not seen any behaviour that would alert me to potential bullying / mobbing.

Just my thoughts.

Best regards,
Andy

Reactions: Mikkel
This makes me pause. My thinking was that a bunch of nerds who only have in common that they like to read fantasy books would be a much more heterogeneous group than this group of vegans and vegetarians here, so I would think that even less of such problems might come up here.

On the other hand, of course, for us here veganism (and vegetarianism) is possible something we care about a lot, so it is more important for us than just what kind of books you read.

There is more discord among veg*ns than you might imagine. Most are here out of their concern for animal welfare/rights, others are concerned with their own health and animal welfare/rights come second (or third, or last, etc), or plays no part at all. I have even seen some argue in favor of eating certain animals.

Then there is the divide between vegans and vegetarians. Although the people on this board are much more civil about it than you'll find on most other boards.

And then there's those who are here to police what vegans eat, even though they themselves are not vegan.

As for the buttons, it doesn't matter to me either way. If I really, really, really like or agree with something I'll click on the like button, but that's about it. I don't go back to my posts (unless I need to edit something) to see if anyone has liked it, and don't have any notifications turned on, so if any buttons are clicked for my posts I don't usually see them.

Last edited:
what would be good if we are to have a 'disagree' button, is a way to quote that disagreement with one click, so you can address someone; reply to their disagreement.:shrug:
There is another add-on known as a reputation system where members can give pos-reps and neg-reps and optionally add a comment which is only visible to the receiver. Users also accumulate reputation points. My impression is that a reputation system would be less friendly than a post rating system.

I remember SevenSeas making a comment about 'if it ain't broken, don't fix it isn't really the moto at VB'.

I think the mission of this forum is to turn the whole world vegan, so I think homogeneousness is not what should be aimed at.

It is against my interests to turn the whole world vegan, as then there will be too many nice foods on offer at Tesco, and I might end up the morbidlyobesest man in the world.:rolleyes:

There is another add-on known as a reputation system where members can give pos-reps and neg-reps and optionally add a comment which is only visible to the receiver. Users also accumulate reputation points. My impression is that a reputation system would be less friendly than a post rating system.

I was think of something like this:
Untitled.jpg

A person could just click on the name in the disagree box, and something like that would pop up.

Last edited:
That is what it is often referred to, correct, Ledboots.

However, if you analyze what kind of people Fox News is popular with, the Karma idea might again make sense:D

well, that's a silly name for it.

That's like saying punching someone you disagree with is karma......no karma is when the person you disagree with falls down the stairs.

Reactions: ledboots
Well, not everything that came from the Evil Empire was necessarily bad ... :p

Neil Degrasse Tyson said:
The Astronaut Pen
During the heat of the space race in the 1960s, the U.S. National Aeronautics and Space Administration [NASA] decided it needed a ball point pen to write in the zero gravity confines of its space capsules. After considerable research and development, the Astronaut Pen was developed at a cost of approximately $1 million U.S. The pen worked and also enjoyed some modest success as a novelty item back here on earth.

The Soviet Union, faced with the same problem, used a pencil.

from Space Travel Troubles | Neil deGrasse Tyson

Best regards,
Andy

The disagree button is now disabled outside of the Debate forum.

I might post a poll at some point regarding which buttons to have where, once we've become more accustomed to the post ratings.

Reactions: ledboots and KLS52
I need a cheat sheet until I can remember what each icon means so I don't have to click and undo each one every time, lol.

I need a cheat sheet until I can remember what each icon means so I don't have to click and undo each one every time, lol.
Ah yes, I suppose it's a little more difficult on a phone, since you can't hover a mouse pointer over to see the descriptions.

Reactions: KLS52
... not to mention needing very fine and precise fingertips.

I normally have to remove every third rating and re-do it correctly when using my iPad, given that my fingers are none of that....