Question Protein needs

J

JStein

I weigh 295 pounds. I should weigh 150 pounds. If I took in the amount of protein, they say I should per pound I would need close to 200 g of protein per day. I don’t see how I could do that, should I base my protein needs on my Goal weight instead?

Reactions: KLS52
should I base my protein needs on my Goal weight instead?
Yes. in fact that is pretty much what everyone says. But being that your current weight is so far from your goal weight - there might be some adjustments or considerations. Come to think of it you really should consult a doctor and maybe have him refer you to a Registered Dietician.

Generally speaking a person should diet to lose weight in a gradual incremental way. One or two pounds a week is considered a safe, healthy, practical rate. But in your case it might make more sense to lose weight faster - at least in the beginning. Again I recommend seeing a doctor and getting good advice.

Another way to look at it is that protein should make up about 20% of your daily calories.
So let's say you limit yourself to 1500 calories a day. that would mean about 75 g or protein a day.

Reactions: KLS52
I remember Dr Greger answering that question as protein needs should be based on ideal weight rather than current weight.
If you're reducing calories it wouldn't make sense to keep your protein (or any macro) at the same value at the same as your calories for maintaining your weight.
Remember that when you lose weight you're pretty much burning the calories you lose. Even cholesterol levels can go up simply because you're consuming your own fat

• Informative
Reactions: Lou and KLS52
Consuming close to 200 grams of protein daily can be challenging, especially if you’re in a caloric deficit for weight loss. Basing your intake on your goal weight would require approximately 120–150 grams of protein per day (using a typical range of 0.8–1.0 grams per pound of goal body weight), which is more manageable. Talk Nutra has some interesting discussion on this topic, looks like people there know a lot about supplements.

Last edited:
Consuming close to 200 grams of protein daily can be challenging, especially if you’re in a caloric deficit for weight loss. Basing your intake on your goal weight would require approximately 120–150 grams of protein per day (using a typical range of 0.8–1.0 grams per pound of goal body weight), which is more manageable.
No, it isn't .8-1 gram per pound, it's .8-1 gram per kilogram---.36 grams per pound . How much protein do you need every day? - Harvard Health.

Calories should be base on goal weight, and protein needs should also be based on goal weight

• Agree
Reactions: Lou
I weigh 295 pounds. I should weigh 150 pounds. If I took in the amount of protein, they say I should per pound I would need close to 200 g of protein per day. I don’t see how I could do that, should I base my protein needs on my Goal weight instead?
yes absolutely. and that would be close to 75 g of protein. a safe minimum would be 55.

However, your weight loss journey is going to be very long. That means that there are some other factors involved. So I recommend you see your doctor and have him/her recommend a Registered Dietician.

another way to figure it out is by percentage of calories. a safe minimum would be 10%. so if you ate 2500 calories a day, you would need about 65.

There are a few tools on the internet that can help with these kind of calculations. Although I like ChronOmeter, you might want one that does meal planning like SparkPeople or EatThisMuch.

There are also vegan meal plans you can just use right out to the box.
Try this one

also in the book, Eat To Live, by Fuhrman, you will find one too. Speaking of books you might check out Dr. Gregar's How Not To Diet.