Stevia

Second Summer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
I read that Stevia was approved as an additive in the EU last year (although I think you could buy stevia itself (but not products containing stevia) from some health food shops before that), and has been approved in the US for 4 years already.

Does anyone here use stevia in cooking? What are your experiences? Is it really a good replacement for sugar?

I like it in drinks like fruit tea or lemonade but for baking I've had excellent luck with Tate and Lyle's --can't think of the name--it's half sugar/half stevia so you use half as much--e.g. 1/4 cup T&L is the same sweetness as 1/2 cup sugar. it comes in brown (demerara) and white. I have a powder form of stevia I buy at the HFS but would love to try a liquid--but have to order it off internet so am less likely to do so.

I want to get some but all products containing stevia that I've found in stores here seem to only contain a small amount of stevia (mixed with artificial sweeteners or sugar) which seems pointless. Plus they are expensive.

Just checking out shyvas' link. :woo:

I hate stevia. I've tried it in several different foods/drinks, but I can taste it, and it's disgusting.

I'd go hungry before eating anything with stevia again.

Never tried it myself, but yes, I've heard that it has a peculiar tastes.

Might pick up a vitamin water or something so that I report on it.

I hate stevia. I've tried it in several different foods/drinks, but I can taste it, and it's disgusting.

I'd go hungry before eating anything with stevia again.
I can taste it in food, not bitter but a different taste I don't like.

Agreed. Although I've been hooked on the crappy fake artificial sweeteners for years now so that might be why I find it so gross.

I read that the stevia available in Japan is really nice. Here in the US, Nutrasweet paid off the FDA to try to stop the sale of stevia, and they still have control over the quality we are allowed to have, which is way lower than the quality available in countries that have no issue with its sale.

That being said, I do like stevia.

I don't notice a taste--but my husband does. |He says it is not bad, just noticible. The tate and lyle is called Light at Heart and i love it, the powdered one I buy is Sweet leaf--1/8 tsp =1 tsp sugar in sweetness. i prefer this kind than one with lots of fillers. Truvia is full of maltodexterin and tasted "squeaky" like eating sweetened polystyrene.

Oh, gross. Licorice is one of the only tastes I hate. Still worth giving it a try though. :)

I hate stevia with a passion. To me, it has a chemically after-taste. Kind of like what I imagine floor cleaner tastes like.

I've tried all kinds and even GREW my own. I hate it. I hate it. I hate it.

I'm also the kind of person who thinks (dairy) yogurt tastes like spoons. It wasn't hard to give THAT up!

Edit: I also hate the taste of aspartame and Splenda.

I'm amazed to see how many people hate the taste of Stevia. All I can say is that you're not buying a good quality like Nunaturals. It really
has no aftertaste and is very sweet.
When I make desserts or bake, I never tell anyone that the food contains Stevia and nobody has ever made a remark.

Not necessarily. I've read some things grouping stevia in with things like cilantro. It just tastes bad to some people.

The brand that I buy doesn't have any aftertaste. However If you were to eat the Stevia leaf or buy pure unprocessed powder it would have a liquorice taste.