Suddenly Getting Kicked out of VV - is this a glitch or what?

Amy SF

Dweller in nature
Supporter
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegetarian
For the last couple months or so I've been using IE to read and post on VV. For the last couple days or so, I'm suddenly getting kicked out of VV at random times, usually when I click on the Whats New? link. And I ALWAYS tick the Stay Logged In box whenever I log in.

Is this ia glitch on my end, or is it something about the software, or some weird Alien Gremlin occurrence that nobody can explain? :???:

It's starting to get annoying have to continually log back in even though I ticked the Stay Logged In box. :confused:

ETA: I should clarify that when I say I get kicked out, I mean out of my account, not out of VV entirely. I do get the New Threads page, but I'm not logged into my account.

Hm, I'm not sure ... I didn't think I had changed anything lately that would cause this. Can I ask what versions of IE and FireFox you guys are using?

Are others experiencing this? It would be good to know if it's a widespread problem, or just affecting a small number of users. If the latter, the problem may be more on your side ... sorry!

For those experiencing this problem, does it go away if you use a different browser? E.g. have you tried Chrome? Opera is another browser you could try. And I really need to know the version number of those browsers that don't work. In Firefox you can see the version by clicking the "Help" menu and selecting "About".

Kinda old:

AOL 9.1

for Windows 2000 (SP3 and above), Windows XP and Windows Vista
Revision 4334.5011brought to you by Hewlett-Packard

© 2007 AOL LLC.
All Rights Reserved
This product may be covered by one or more of the following U.S. Patents. See http://about.aol.com/patents for further information.

All trademarks, logos and sensory marks used in this software and on the AOL Online Service are the exclusive property of their respective owners, and should not be used without their permission.

The following notices apply to the third party technologies included in this product:

AOL 9.1 contains Adobe® Flash® Player software by Adobe Systems Incorporated, Copyright © 1995-2007 by Adobe Macromedia Software LLC. All Rights Reserved. Protected by U.S. Patent 6,879,327; Patent Pending in the U.S. and other countries. Adobe and Flash are trademarks of Adobe Systems Incorporated.

Includes Sentry Spelling-Checker Engine Copyright © 1994-2003 Wintertree Software Inc. and WGrammar Grammar-Checker Engine Copyright © 1998 Wintertree Software Inc.

Includes MPEG Layer-3 audio decoding technology licensed from Fraunhofer IIS and THOMSON multimedia.

Includes encryption software from RSA Security Inc. © 1994 RSA Security Inc. All rights reserved.

May contain technology from SupportSoft, Inc. <http://www.supportsoft.com> © 1998-2003 SupportSoft, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Portions utilize Windows Media Technologies. Copyright © 1999-2007 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

Includes LIBJPEG software that is based in part on the work of the Independent JPEG Group and is Copyright © 1991-1998, Thomas G. Lane. All rights reserved.

Includes GIFLIB software that is Copyright © 1997, Eric S. Raymond.

Includes libmng software that is © 2000-2002 Gerard Juyn (gerard@libmng.com).

Includes zlib software that is Copyright © 1995-2002 Jean-loup Gailly and Mark Adler.

Portions created by gSoap are © 2001-2003 Robert A. van Engelen, Genivia inc. All rights reserved.

Includes Dolby VLB technology that is Copyright 1998-2002 by Dolby Laboratories, Inc. All rights reserved. Portions of this product are manufactured under license from Dolby Laboratories. 'Dolby' and the double-D symbol are trademarks of Dolby Laboratories. Protected by one or more patents owned or licensed by AT&T Corporation, Dolby Laboratories Licensing Corporation, Fraunhofer Gesellschaft zur Foerderung der angewandten Forschung e.V., and Sony Corporation. A list of applicable patents can be found at the website located at <www.vialicensing.com>.

For the record, it didn't happen when I used Firefox. But that was an older version and that was a couple months ago.

For the record, it didn't happen when I used Firefox. But that was an older version and that was a couple months ago.
I think older Firefox versions generally behave better (are more standards-compliant) than older Internet Explorer versions.

I'm not sure if your Windows version can run Chrome or newer versions of Firefox? I'd recommend you try that, and you may even prefer them in general over IE after a while.

It just happened to me again. I had been logged in, went to take my dogs out and, when I got back, found that it logged me out.

I'm using Firefox 16.0.1 It's happened to me the last two nights if that's any help.
Okay, that doesn't sound too old. Are you ticking the "stay logged on" button when logging on? If not, the software is configured to (I think) log you off after 15 minutes.

I know Amy has already said she ticks the box, but just to make sure with you other guys: Here's a screenshot that shows the location of the "Stay logged in" tickbox: login screenshot.jpeg