The Cat Lovers Thread

Yes!:cat: It was so sweet and that Surrey village looks a nice place to live.

I was thinking I want to live there, but that might have something to do with the fifty cats in a small radius :D

I lived in a house in the suburbs once and there were loads of cats - about 15 across the 20 houses - and I would spend lots of time sat out in the street with them because I can't resist. Might have looked just a little crazy.

tumblr_mf00csd7Qf1qfufjwo1_500.jpg

What do you mean, vet’s office? YOU SAID WE WERE GOING TO THE PHILHARMONIC!

Ok, so here's my dilemma:

I am fostering these two kittens. I, honestly, had every intention of only fostering them. I had my hands full with Bogart being sick when I took them in. Then four days later Bogart died. So, of course, I am grieving and these two kittens have filled a void and I am becoming attached, more so for the fact Benjamin is missing Bogart and he really likes these kittens. Plus that fact that I have control issues, and if I really knew they could go to a really good home and stay together, I might not feel so bad. Obviously, I do not have what it takes to foster if I can't let go.

I can keep them, no problem. And I could probably continue to foster since I will be be satisfied (ha) with Benjamin, the new kittens, and of course, Cybil. But that will close the door for any future rescues. And I really like the idea of rescuing adult cats. What if there is another Bogart out there (without health issues, hopefully)? I would love another cat with his temperament. In fact, there is a six year old, female, declawed Persian who just came to my local rescue group...she supposedly is very docile. Her elderly owner is going into assisted living and cannot take the cat with her. Not saying I would take her, but these kinds of adult cats are out there needing to be adopted. *Sigh*

If I keep the kittens, it is likely I will enjoy their company for years to come.

If I dont' keep them and continue to rescue adult cats, I could end up with another sickly cat and be heartbroken in a year like what happened with Bogart.

I realize I have to decide this for myself but feel free to give some input in case I'm missing something.

Ok, so here's my dilemma:

I am fostering these two kittens. I, honestly, had every intention of only fostering them. I had my hands full with Bogart being sick when I took them in. Then four days later Bogart died. So, of course, I am grieving and these two kittens have filled a void and I am becoming attached, more so for the fact Benjamin is missing Bogart and he really likes these kittens. Plus that fact that I have control issues, and if I really knew they could go to a really good home and stay together, I might not feel so bad. Obviously, I do not have what it takes to foster if I can't let go.

I can keep them, no problem. And I could probably continue to foster since I will be be satisfied (ha) with Benjamin, the new kittens, and of course, Cybil. But that will close the door for any future rescues. And I really like the idea of rescuing adult cats. What if there is another Bogart out there (without health issues, hopefully)? I would love another cat with his temperament. In fact, there is a six year old, female, declawed Persian who just came to my local rescue group...she supposedly is very docile. Her elderly owner is going into assisted living and cannot take the cat with her. Not saying I would take her, but these kinds of adult cats are out there needing to be adopted. *Sigh*

If I keep the kittens, it is likely I will enjoy their company for years to come.

If I dont' keep them and continue to rescue adult cats, I could end up with another sickly cat and be heartbroken in a year like what happened with Bogart.

I realize I have to decide this for myself but feel free to give some input in case I'm missing something.

Goodness! I haven't been on here for a while, deepest sympathies! I had a huge soft spot for Bogart as he looked just like my cat Goomer.

I can see your dilemma. If it wasn't for Benjamin becoming attached to the kittens I would say to continue fostering/rehome an older cat as I'm sure the two kittens would be spanned up in no time, and hopefully together.

Makes if difficult that it's not just for you though and your other cats are being taken into account :-( xxx

Reactions: KLS52
I don't think your missing anything but if you have really got your heart set on a specific type of cat then I would continue to foster.The kittens will find good homes.People tend to want kittens more than adult cats.If you are really worried about the kittens being separated just don't give them up until someone can find them a home together.If one isn't found maybe it's a sign you should keep them.I don't know if that helps but good luck with your decision!

Reactions: KLS52
My advice (somewhat unpopular perhaps) is to keep the kittens. They seem like nice cats, and it is great that they get on with your Benjamin. Perhaps it is because I have had a kitten so recently and she is still a young cat, it is nice to have some pets at the beginning of their lives and she has helped mend my broken heart a little from losing two elderly pets.

Reactions: Dedalus and KLS52
I vote to keep them. Personally I wouldn't be able to deal with the loss if I were to give them up. Plus I'd be concerned about Benjamin and how he would react to another loss.

I'm not sure if keeping them is the right decision, but it would be the decision I would make.

Reactions: Dedalus and KLS52
I had no idea Bogart died. I'm so sorry, Karen. :( :hug:

Here are my thoughts on the matter:

You have one big advantage with the kittens. If Benjamin and the kittens have bonded with each other, that's a very good thing. Because cats are so territorial, unrelated cats don't often get along with each other. If the kittens end up being adopted out to other people and you take in one or two other cats to foster, these new foster cats may not get along with Benjamin as well as the kittens already in your home. I'm not saying they won't, but there's always the possibility. As I said, the kittens already in your house have already bonded with Benjamin.

So another vote for keeping the kittens. :)

Thanks for the responses/opinions...they are appreciated.

Love the kittens with their mom pics, especially the last one. :)