The Cat Lovers Thread

1379363_713836568644023_55505791_n.jpg

For Amy SF:

You wrote in that Dog Thread that although you can't take in a dog right now, you would like having an animal companion who would greet you at the door enthusiastically when you come home...

Late in 1994, I took in a cat (Riley) whose owner had to move into a place where cats were not allowed. My cat had recently died, and this time around I felt like taking in more than one cat- so within a month I had adopted another male cat whom I named Phil, this time from the local shelter. At first, Riley resented him somewhat, but it wasn't total war- Riley was pretty laid-back. So at first, when I was not home, I kept Phil in the kitchen with the door securely blocked (or so I thought).

One night I came home, entered the vestibule, and opened the inner door.... to see two little faces looking up at me. They had decided to get acquainted, managed to get the door open, and decided they were BFF while I was at work. It wasn't an over-the-top dog-style greeting, but it was comically cute!

My last cat, Crystal, WOULD greet me excitedly at the door, but our mutual greeting was awfully predictable:

Me: "It's time for BREAKFAST!" (I used the word "Breakfast" for both breakfast, when we got up, and dinner, when I got home or for any meal at any time of the day).
Crystal: "MEOW!"
Me: "BREAKFAST!" Her: "MEOW!"
"BREAKFAST!" "MEOW!" "BREAKFAST!" "MEOW!" etc. until I put her food down on the floor and she started eating. She was very affectionate and liked me for more than her meals, but... yeah... food was a high priority for her.

Last edited: