The Coffee House-Come and Chat With Us!(December 2019)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Went out last night to look at decorations around town then to a midnight mass service (I just love to go, it feels festive and you get to sing, carols, and it doesn't really matter what you believe it's a cozy way to celebrate with other people). Then I kinda got turned around at 2 am walking home which was a little creepy, but I did see some goats on a local farm and said hello to them.

Chillin out today and wishing friends happy holidays through phone and FB. Enjoying food and down time.

Merry Christmas everyone!

It's been a quiet and rainy one here. Furnace has died (over 2 yrs ago) so the space heaters have been on all day. Can't wait for the electric bill...

My son just finished installing a surround-sound system that was given to me like 2 yrs ago... So we've been watching movies - mostly stuff he wants to watch - lots of guns, violence, and cars. Most recent was The Dark Night, and the 1st 2 John Wicks.

Got the pooch a new bed for Xmas - but he insists on sleeping elsewhere 1/2 the time, lol.

I'm off work till the 2nd, and have been doing a whole lotta nothing, mostly, except for keeping up with German on Duolingo.
I can' believe it's almost 2020... It's going to be a year with some pretty big changes. A little scary and exciting at the same time, of the 'unknowns.' ...

Merry Christmas vegan friends!! 🎄🎅

It's been a quiet and rainy one here. Furnace has died (over 2 yrs ago) so the space heaters have been on all day. Can't wait for the electric bill...

My son just finished installing a surround-sound system that was given to me like 2 yrs ago... So we've been watching movies - mostly stuff he wants to watch - lots of guns, violence, and cars. Most recent was The Dark Night, and the 1st 2 John Wicks.

Got the pooch a new bed for Xmas - but he insists on sleeping elsewhere 1/2 the time, lol.

I'm off work till the 2nd, and have been doing a whole lotta nothing, mostly, except for keeping up with German on Duolingo.
I can' believe it's almost 2020... It's going to be a year with some pretty big changes. A little scary and exciting at the same time, of the 'unknowns.' ...

Merry Christmas vegan friends!! 🎄🎅
13-19-30-837650770_144660.gif

I had a very quiet Christmas because I had to do some work, but I got to celebrate with my family the weekend before, so I don't feel like I missed out too much. :) Everybody was spread out on the actual day, so it was nice that we got together beforehand. I watched "A Christmas Story" and some other Christmas movies and then a little basketball. I also crocheted after I finished working. I'm making a poncho.

I hope everyone who celebrates had a nice holiday. :)

Our 'first' Christmas was quiet. We had Kelly here and my parents over for dinner. Kelly was pretty happy with her presents overall, so that's a relief, and most things fit (she's put on 2 sizes since she moved into a group home almost 3 years ago. ) For dinner we had Penne "Alfredo" (cashew based) and a wonderful pear salad may mom made and apple pie.

Our 'second' Christmas will be Saturday - and this one will include my son, DIL and the three granddaughters - 6, 4 and 2. They are coming from Philly. It will be wild! And we have tickets to see Roger's & Hammerstein's Cinderella that afternoon (local production). My parents and Kelly will join us out for dinner after the show. My son and two of my granddaughter's have celiac disease, so we're eating at one of the two completely gluten-free restaurants in town.

I hope everyone else had/is having a nice holiday season.

I'm looking forward to the new year.

I had a very quiet Christmas because I had to do some work, but I got to celebrate with my family the weekend before, so I don't feel like I missed out too much. :) Everybody was spread out on the actual day, so it was nice that we got together beforehand. I watched "A Christmas Story" and some other Christmas movies and then a little basketball. I also crocheted after I finished working. I'm making a poncho.

I hope everyone who celebrates had a nice holiday. :)

That sounds like a lovely day!

Drove to Canada's capital (Ottawa) on Christmas Eve and back last evening. Had a really nice time with family, two legged and four legged. Such great weather here for travelling. 52 degrees farenheit today and yet I see southern Cal has snow, say whut?

Emma JC

Drove to Canada's capital (Ottawa) on Christmas Eve and back last evening. Had a really nice time with family, two legged and four legged. Such great weather here for travelling. 52 degrees farenheit today and yet I see southern Cal has snow, say whut?

Emma JC
Yup - it's a high of 60F down to a low of 43F where I am, but just a 90 minute drive to the San Bernardino mountains where there's snow. You can see the mountains from here - so pretty!

I started journaling with some tips from the internet, and i have been writing my goals for the day in the a.m. So far i have done very well with getting my goals accomplished. I feel very good about myself today!

I decided today that we had done enough sitting around on the computers and/or watching Netflix, so I took my teenage son ice skating for the first time! We went to the late session... We had so much fun!! I hadn't been in a really long time - long enough to have forgotten how slippery that stuff is! LOL. He had so much fun that he wants to get some of his friends together and go again next week. ....On the way home we stopped at Carl's Jr. so he could get a Beyond burger. It was a good night! :)

I got a single cup drip coffee maker for Christmas. Its sort of cool.

I've been using the same plastic single cup drip Melitta coffeemaker for like 20 years. It might have cost $4. I always thought it made a good cup of coffee. I prefer my coffee to Starbucks. But I have had better coffee in places. Maybe call it a 7.5.

This new one is an OXO. I'm sure it cost more than $4 but ... present. It has a little reservoir on top and some scientifically designed holes in the bottom which are specifically designed to spread the water over the grounds evenly. I tried to do that with my old coffee maker but it takes some patience. Anyway, I timed it this morning and it takes a minute or two for the reservoir to empty. So way more patience than I ever had.

I'm using the same grounds and measurements and the coffee this morning went up to a 8. I'm even feeling motivated to buy some better grounds next time.

Screen Shot 2019-12-28 at 8.23.58 AM.png

Attachments

• 41uruL9HHeL.jpg
    41uruL9HHeL.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 0
I'm just so happy to have a break from everything and everyone. I'm using this time to decide what I am going to do next. I'm getting an early start on Dry January, and am also planning to do a liquid fast next week for one day for Animals First on the Second. Animals First is a movement where people don't eat solid food for 24 hours on the 2nd of each month, and post Xs on their hands in pictures on social media to draw attention to how farmed animals go without food and water before they are slaughtered. Some people just don't eat anything, but I am going to allow myself tea and clear veggie broth, I really hate fasting, but I thought this break would be a good time to participate in a different form of activism.

Last night I watched A Street Cat Named Bob. It's so sweet and inspiring, I highly recommend it. It's free on YouTube movies.

I got a single cup drip coffee maker for Christmas. Its sort of cool.

I've been using the same plastic single cup drip Melitta coffeemaker for like 20 years. It might have cost $4. I always thought it made a good cup of coffee. I prefer my coffee to Starbucks. But I have had better coffee in places. Maybe call it a 7.5.

This new one is an OXO. I'm sure it cost more than $4 but ... present. It has a little reservoir on top and some scientifically designed holes in the bottom which are specifically designed to spread the water over the grounds evenly. I tried to do that with my old coffee maker but it takes some patience. Anyway, I timed it this morning and it takes a minute or two for the reservoir to empty. So way more patience than I ever had.

I'm using the same grounds and measurements and the coffee this morning went up to a 8. I'm even feeling motivated to buy some better grounds next time.

View attachment 1327
I use a single cup pour over. I love my coffee so much that I don’t enjoy coffee at all when I’m away from home. If I’m visiting my daughters or another close family member or friend, I always bring it with me with my own coffee grinds and Silk creamer so I can have coffee if I want it, lol. It kind of sucks to be this particular as to what I will drink!

Reactions: Emma JC and PTree15
We had our family celebration today with my two daughters, son in law and grandchildren. My son was sick and couldn’t join us. 😕 Check out this shirt my daughter gave me. She bought the plain shirt then added the lettering herself. It’s so perfect for me lol.
D43D4682-7399-4F62-9841-9A5D0EA6E699.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.