The Coffee House-Come and Chat With Us!(December 2019)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I use a single cup pour over. I love my coffee so much that I don’t enjoy coffee at all when I’m away from home. If I’m visiting my daughters or another close family member or friend, I always bring it with me with my own coffee grinds and Silk creamer so I can have coffee if I want it, lol. It kind of sucks to be this particular as to what I will drink!

What coffee do you use? and what brand of brewer?

Reactions: Qwaychou
What coffee do you use? and what brand of brewer?
It’s this one...
EA6E3FED-357E-4EE7-A19C-B1514743AAFA.jpeg

I like to blend 1/2 espresso/Italian roast (Cafe Bustelo or Madaglia d’oro) with either 1/2 Peet’s dark roast Major Dickason or Sumatra.
There’s no rhyme or reason how this came about. But I just love it so much.
I use use four scoops of grinds per 8 ounces of water.

It’s this one...
View attachment 1330

I like to blend 1/2 espresso/Italian roast (Cafe Bustelo or Madaglia d’oro) with either 1/2 Peet’s dark roast Major Dickason or Sumatra.
There’s no rhyme or reason how this came about. But I just love it so much.
I use use four scoops of grinds per 8 ounces of water.
I've been wondering about Cafe Bustelo! I always see both their regular coffee and the espresso. Aldi even carries it, not sure which one, it's in a brick. You don't get grounds through those holes? I tried a fine mesh filter but hated that last sip!
I do like pour over. I usually buy Aldi med German blend, and Honduras whole bean

Reactions: KLS52
No grinds. Sometimes I use a paper filter when I don’t feel like dealing with the grinds. More water comes through without the filter, too, which means it’s not quite as strong. So I limit better use the filter. But no grinds come through without using one.

I was thinking of buying the reusable coffee filter but I didn't want to bother with the mess. I still can if I change my mind.

I use 3 tbsp to make 12 oz of coffee. or 2 tbsp to make 8.

I have been deliberately cutting down on my coffee consumption. I was at about 10 - 11 cups a week and now I'm down to 4 or 5.

I've been buying Trader Joe's Joe coffee. now I'm thinking I will get some better coffee next time. Trader Joe's has an organic Fair Trade Shade Grown coffee I used to buy regularly. It's twice the price of regular Joe. But I like that it is more ethical and environmental.

Last edited:
Reactions: KLS52
I like pour-over but I make a lot of coffee in the morning and a french press lets me make it all at once.

I recently switched from french roast to scandinavian blend, I'm liking that a lot. I like to try different coffees and always came back to french roast, but the scandinavian is my new favorite.

I like pour-over but I make a lot of coffee in the morning and a french press lets me make it all at once.

I recently switched from french roast to scandinavian blend, I'm liking that a lot. I like to try different coffees and always came back to french roast, but the scandinavian is my new favorite.
I was using a French Press for awhile. It makes excellent coffee. I got tired of cleaning the pot lol. And I don’t drink that much at once do the single cup pour over works for me.

I was thinking of buying the reusable coffee filter but I didn't want to bother with the mess. I still can if I change my mind.

I use 3 tbsp to make 12 oz of coffee. or 2 tbsp to make 8.

I have been deliberately cutting down on my coffee consumption. I was at about 10 - 11 cups a week and now I'm down to 4 or 5.

I've been buying Trader Joe's Joe coffee. now I'm thinking I will get some better coffee next time. Trader Joe's has an organic Fair Trade Shade Grown coffee I used to buy regularly. It's twice the price of regular Joe. But I like that it is more ethical and environmental.
I used to like TJs coffee when I was drinking medium roast Columbian coffee...before I started needing a dark blend. I like the fair trade/ethical aspect. I should see what they have next time I’m there.

I don’t like french roast and sometimes that’s all stores have in dark. I need my coffee super strong as I like it with creamer and sugar. Price is definitely a factor and will be more so once I’m not working.

I drink mostly decaf but my first cup in the morning I will make one of the four scoops caffeine. So I have a 1/4 caff lol. I like to live on the edge, lol.

I never did get the French Press. I had one for a while but I found it made my coffee too strong and there were always some grounds in my cup.

I used to prefer French Roast but over the years my tastes have migrated to not liking strong flavored coffee. I will get a dark roast but I prefer a medium roast when I can find a good one.

The only shade-grown coffee they have at Trader Joe's is Ethiopian. And it's not actually "certified" shade-grown. The other markets that i go to don't have any shade-grown coffees. Although most of them have organic Free-Trade coffees.

Some of the stores used to carry Thanksgiving Coffee. The company is somewhat local and has certified organic, free-trade, and shade-grown coffee. I can still buy it online but I don't very often. It's pricey. Plus it doesn't come ground and I don't like grinding my own.

One thing that I have to get used to is that the coffee that this new OXO coffee maker makes is less hot than normal. I usually have to wait a few minutes while the coffee cools. Now the coffee is at a drinking temperature right away. I have to get out of the habit of waiting or else the coffee gets too cool. It might be even a plus once I get out of the habit of waiting.

I suppose the hot water must cool somewhat as it drains out of the reservoir. I may need to make the coffee directly into an insulated tumbler.

• Informative
Reactions: PTree15 and KLS52
You are supposed to use course grind with a French press

yup, it's a French press for us too and we use a medium or large grind and it works great... my honey laughs but I have a whole process for cleaning it - I keep a sieve in an aluminun bowl and put dollar store paper filter in it and then rince the top of the french press back into the coffee pot and pour the water into the filter and then rinse the pot a few more times pouring the water into the filter and then the last rinse I put the whole contraption back into the pot of swish it up and down to get the remainders and pour that down the sink - I had been putting the grounds down the sink and realized that was probably not a good thing to do

after emptying the water from the sieve/bowl a few times over the day the filter/grounds dry out enough to put them in the compost

Emma JC

yup, it's a French press for us too and we use a medium or large grind and it works great... my honey laughs but I have a whole process for cleaning it - I keep a sieve in an aluminun bowl and put dollar store paper filter in it and then rince the top of the french press back into the coffee pot and pour the water into the filter and then rinse the pot a few more times pouring the water into the filter and then the last rinse I put the whole contraption back into the pot of swish it up and down to get the remainders and pour that down the sink - I had been putting the grounds down the sink and realized that was probably not a good thing to do

after emptying the water from the sieve/bowl a few times over the day the filter/grounds dry out enough to put them in the compost

Emma JC
I don't even drink coffee anymore, but I had two French presses when I did. I used to knock off the grounds into the plants outside - I heard it was good for plants (or a compost if you have one).

I feel like I am coming down with a cold - possibly related to losing a filling in one of my back molars. Now I am not sure that I'll be able to fast on the 2nd unless I start feeling better soon. I'm also more inclined to have a beer or glass of wine if I feel sinusy. Ah.. the best laid plans of mice and men.

Maybe my cold symptoms are contributing to my decade-end deep nostalgia. My roommate caught me crying over a song from 2013 earlier. Afraid I may cry more over the next few days.

Oddly, I also seem to have suddenly developed an attraction to my vegan roommate. Its manageable but what the hell. I can't even.

At least I have a nice meal for NYE, am getting the house clean, and have all this luxurious time off to be a space cadet.

• Friendly
Reactions: Emma JC and KLS52
Status
Not open for further replies.