The introductions thread

Hello everyone! I'm Avni and I'm a new vegan (have been for about 6 months) and am feeling quite isolated and angry, and was hoping for a safe space in which I felt heard and understood. Some things you should know about me: I'm British, a metalhead, a bookworm and a beginner guitar player.
Congrats on going vegan and welcome on board!
I can confirm that feelings of anger and a lack of support from friends and family are not unheard of for new vegans.
London is a great place for vegan food, so at least that should make your life a bit easier.

Hello everyone! I'm Avni and I'm a new vegan (have been for about 6 months) and am feeling quite isolated and angry, and was hoping for a safe space in which I felt heard and understood. Some things you should know about me: I'm British, a metalhead, a bookworm and a beginner guitar player.
:welcome:

• Friendly
Reactions: veganteen1994

welcome - a life hack to remember... life is a journey and each day is part of that - no matter what new thing we are learning and growing into it doesn't happen all at once - and becoming vegan is like that too as it is not only you that has to learn and adjust it is also all of those around you who are steeped in an omnivore world - imagine a child learning math and be expected to be good at calculus... it is a learning curve and the vegan one can be steep and yet spectacular...

it does help to watch other on YouTube etc - yesterday we watched Derek Sarno (youtuber) talk about why he became a vegan chef and it was a wonderful heartbreaking uplifting video - you might enjoy it too

you sound like a lovely and interesting person and we are happy to have you here with us

Emma JC
Find your vegan soulmate or just a friend. www.spiritualmatchmaking.com

Reactions: Raven and PTree15
Welcome! I don't feel angry (or even isolated, exactly), but I don't know many vegetarians (let alone vegans) in real life. So I come here a lot.

I love all kinds of music, but my favorite is classical- from Renaissance to Impressionist, with even some of what I would call modern (Aaron Copeland, Randall Thompson...). I also like classic rock, oldies (60s music), some country/western, and maybe bluegrass and jazz (I'm just starting to explore those last two). I've seen both Robert Plant and KISS in concert (different days!). Plant did a number of Led Zeppelin songs; I had to leave the KISS concert before Gene did his fire-breathing-blood-spitting thing, and neither Ace nor Peter were with the band at that point (ggrrrrr). But it was all good. Def Leppard was playing right before KISS, and I had really gone to see them primarily.

Edited to add: WHOA- I just went back and noticed you're 13. Impressive! I didn't even become pescatarian until I was 16. People have been accepting of my care for animals, but unfortunately, they generally haven't followed my example as far as diet goes. You're learning about nutrition, right?

I taught myself some (acoustic) guitar but didn't take lessons, so I'm still a beginner there. I did study classical piano, but don't practice enough since I stopped taking lessons. And I always had trouble playing anything fast (like the last movement of Beethoven's C# minor sonata for piano, popularly known as "Moonlight"- what a finger-buster!- I think I played it at only about 1/10th the correct tempo).

Last edited:
  • Friendly
Reactions: PTree15 and Emma JC
welcome - a life hack to remember... life is a journey and each day is part of that - no matter what new thing we are learning and growing into it doesn't happen all at once - and becoming vegan is like that too as it is not only you that has to learn and adjust it is also all of those around you who are steeped in an omnivore world - imagine a child learning math and be expected to be good at calculus... it is a learning curve and the vegan one can be steep and yet spectacular...

it does help to watch other on YouTube etc - yesterday we watched Derek Sarno (youtuber) talk about why he became a vegan chef and it was a wonderful heartbreaking uplifting video - you might enjoy it too

you sound like a lovely and interesting person and we are happy to have you here with us

Emma JC
Find your vegan soulmate or just a friend. www.spiritualmatchmaking.co
Hi Emma,
Thank you for your kind words and the video you shared. Both were very comforting. I'm so glad that I found this forum!

Welcome! I don't feel angry (or even isolated, exactly), but I don't know many vegetarians (let alone vegans) in real life. So I come here a lot.

I love all kinds of music, but my favorite is classical- from Renaissance to Impressionist, with even some of what I would call modern (Aaron Copeland, Randall Thompson...). I also like classic rock, oldies (60s music), some country/western, and maybe bluegrass and jazz (I'm just starting to explore those last two). I've seen both Robert Plant and KISS in concert (different days!). Plant did a number of Led Zeppelin songs; I had to leave the KISS concert before Gene did his fire-breathing-blood-spitting thing, and neither Ace nor Peter were with the band at that point (ggrrrrr). But it was all good. Def Leppard was playing right before KISS, and I had really gone to see them primarily.

Edited to add: WHOA- I just went back and noticed you're 13. Impressive! I didn't even become pescatarian until I was 16. People have been accepting of my care for animals, but unfortunately, they generally haven't followed my example as far as diet goes. You're learning about nutrition, right?

I taught myself some (acoustic) guitar but didn't take lessons, so I'm still a beginner there. I did study classical piano, but don't practice enough since I stopped taking lessons. And I always had trouble playing anything fast (like the last movement of Beethoven's C# minor sonata for piano, popularly known as "Moonlight"- what a finger-buster!- I think I played it at only about 1/10th the correct tempo).
Hi Tom,
I'm so jealous that you got to see Def Leppard live. They are one of my favourite bands :) Seeing Robert Plant must have been awesome too, and the KISS concert seemed rather eventful!

I guess going vegan should have been easier from me because a lot of my family are lacto vegetarians as they are devout hindus. However, my family's views on non suffering didn't get through to me at all - at one point I would join my dad in teasing vegetarians and waving chicken under my vegetarian mum's nose. Eventually, youtube videos showcasing delicious vegan food convinced me that vegan food could taste good and, a documentary and a podcast later I was vegan.

I told myself that I was going to practice guitar for 5 hours a day during the holidays. So far the longest I have practiced is an hour 😬. I struggle to motivate myself, especially without the guidance of a teacher during the holidays, but am still going to give my rigorous practice routine another go. Classical guitar seems incredibly difficult to me, so I admire the effort it must have taken to learn!

• Friendly