The Rabbit Thread

:hug: No advice, I just wanted to give you my condolences on Morgan's passing, and I'm glad you (and Winter) were able to give Liberty a loving home.

:hug: No advice, I just wanted to give you my condolences on Morgan's passing, and I'm glad you (and Winter) were able to give Liberty a loving home.
Yes, I second this! Hugs and congratulations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am so sorry for your loss. So so sorry. :'( Your baby is still with you in spirit, and watching over you. You will be with her again one day. Play in peace, Binky free little Morgan, we miss you and love you so much!

And thank you for taking Liberty in and giving her a great, loving home.

Hey, so I adopted a new bun the other day. Its very difficult for me to name my animals. Its usually takes a couple weeks as I need to make sure it matches their personality, their appearance, and that it fits them and their soul.

I was hoping you guys could help a little. Like for my other bun, I named her Luna as she is white with black spits, and black around her eyes. So to me, she looks like Halloween. And luna means moon which to me fit. Well, in the same kind of category. If thus makes sense.

I want a special name like that for my new bun. Also luna is also the name if the moon goddess and I would like a godddess name if able, because its like I'm giving their name importance. Like more meaning.

I'll post pictures of the new bun so you can see what names would fit.

Also here is her background and about her:

She was abused at her old house. Not sure how much. But the lady's son tried to kill her twice. Like literally kill her. So because of that she hates kids and will bite them. (The lady was rehoming this bunny so she wouldn't end up killed by her son. Hope this kid is getting hel . She said he was diagnosed with an attachment disorder).
And all her things were dirty when I got her and her cage was so gross. Bunnies should never be kept in cages and I guess she was only in it when they weren't home but the cage was gross. It was a dog crate but it was filthy.
Anyway, she is very sweet. Very calm. She is happy about small things. Appreciates anything. Very mentally strong bunny. She has long ears. Like helicopter ears. She is brown with darker brown spots on her back. She always seems to have one ear up with the other one out like a helicopter.
She is two years old.

Not sure if this helps.

What name does she look like to you?

She makes me think of Bambi. But the actual name Bambi doesn't fit her.

IMG_20160829_181403.jpg IMG_20160829_183412.jpg IMG_20160829_180035.jpg

She's beautiful! So happy you took her in. I need to think about a name.

I like Stellar. Goes with Luna. And it I think it suits her. [emoji4]

From the definition:
Did You Know?
Stella, the Latin word for "star," shines brightly in the word constellation, but "stella" words have been favored by scientists to describe earthly things as much as heavenly bodies. "Stellar" was once used to mean "star-shaped." That use is no longer current, but today biologists and geologists might use one of thesesynonyms: "stellular," "stellate," and "stelliform." Poets, too, have looked to "stella." John Milton used "stellar" in its infancy when he wrote in Paradise Lost: "these soft fires … shed down their stellar virtue." "Stellar" shot into its leading role as a synonym of "star" (as when we say "stellar pupil") in the late 1800s.

Reactions: Animallover21
I like Stellar. Goes with Luna. And it I think it suits her. [emoji4]

From the definition:
Did You Know?
Stella, the Latin word for "star," shines brightly in the word constellation, but "stella" words have been favored by scientists to describe earthly things as much as heavenly bodies. "Stellar" was once used to mean "star-shaped." That use is no longer current, but today biologists and geologists might use one of thesesynonyms: "stellular," "stellate," and "stelliform." Poets, too, have looked to "stella." John Milton used "stellar" in its infancy when he wrote in Paradise Lost: "these soft fires … shed down their stellar virtue." "Stellar" shot into its leading role as a synonym of "star" (as when we say "stellar pupil") in the late 1800s.

Such a beautiful name.:smitten:

I love your rabbit's face, Animallover! And much praise to you for taking her in. I don't think there's anything wrong with your rabbit being in a cage or someplace else where she can't get into trouble if you're not there to watch her- maybe a special rabbit-proofed room- just so long as she doesn't spend most of her time there. It's a shame that some people buy rabbits, get tired of them, and just leave them in a cage, only giving them food and water (and then complain that rabbits aren't affectionate- well, DUH- animals usually don't bond with someone if they don't interact with them.)

It's cool that you want to wait a bit and decide on a name that really fits her. (I changed 3 of my animal adoptees' names within a week after I adopted them because I thought of something else that fit them better.) But offhand, I can't think of anything.

Last edited:
Hey guys, sorry I didn't reply. I asked for it to send me notifications when I got a reply but it never happened.

I will read all messages tonight after work. I gazed through them and read little bits.

Her original name is Calliope, which is a Greek Goddess. So I was going to stay with that but honestly, that name doesn't feel right in my gut.

I actually like Stella more. And yes, it does go with Luna. I did want to do Goddess theme names but most aren't so simple. Like Luna is very simple. Calliope just has too much to pronouce.

What do you guys think?

I adopted another bun yesterday. I'll share her story and pics late . And I need help with her name too.

You guys are the best.

@Tom
Yeah an xpen is what you should use for a bunny.

I don't agree with cages in any way. If for some reason you need to have your bunny in there for like 30 minutes that's fine, but as long as its not a cage that will be uncomfortable.
Unfortunately a lot of people use cages and also cages with wires at the bottom. Both very bad. But xpens are great and they have room to run. And won't get out. A cage though, is like being in jail. :(

Also cages with wires at the bottom are terrible for their feet and will cause sore hocks. :( the other bunny I adopted yesterday was in a cage like that and she has them.

Sorry for going all into this. This is more so for other people who read this so they know cages and wire cages aren't good.

And thank you.
And yes you are so right that yes, an animal don't be affectionate if you don't give that animal affection too. And it takes patience.

My bunny Luna is bonded to me, but it takes time to get there. And animals have their own personalities. Maybe they want to be affectionate but when they want to be and not when you want it. Idk why I'm rambling. Lol sorry!

Have you had bunnies? They are awesome animals!

Okay so there is now a new bun as of yesterday.

I found her on Craigslist too, and this is her story:

She has been used for breeding her whole life. She is 5. The owner wanted to get rid of her as she was no longer in need of her. She wanted to trade her for another doe or sell her for 10 dollars. When I saw her I knew I was meant to get her, like she was another soulmate of mine.

I went out yesterday to get her and paid 10 dollars for her but I had to save her life. I thought about not getting her as I already got the other bunny earlier this week. But my gut told me that was a very bad idea, so I knew I had to listen to my gut. The right thing was to get her and for hr to be part of my life.

When I got there yesterday the owners kids were waiting outside. The lady didn't tell me she was going to send her kids to give the bunny to me. So it was awkward. And they were the most awkward kids ever. I got out of the car and I think the kid said hi and I did as well in return. Actually, I think his hi was a delayed hi. I don't remember. all I know is that this was the most awkward situation ever. After he said hi he and his sister, both probably around 13 silently stood there....... And then just started walking off to the bunny. I mean, it was weird. They grabbed her and put her in the carrier and that was it. I asked if they had any other bunnies to make it less awkward but that didn't help. she answered and then went silent. And I said bye but they both didn't, and then I walked off and left.

But they had no care for the bunny. You could tell by the way she was picked up. And they had zero emotion. There was nothing there. They were like aliens.

Maybe the mom is crazy religious and sucked all the life out of them. Idk, but my birth mom was like that and I could imagine her kids becoming that way due to being sheltered from Life and people and the world.

The bunny was so scared. I mean those people really didn't care about her. And I checked the bunny out and she has an eye infection to . Which she has had for several weeks as the ad on Craigslist was posted several weeks ago and you can tell she has it too in the photo. ALSO she isn't spayed. And she is five. So its possible that she could have things wrong with her reproductive systrm or even cancer. I mean its possible that she doesn't but it's very likely bunnies will get cancer in the reproductive system if they aren't spayed before 2. She is also very fat and has sore hocks.

She was never potty trained but she is picking up really well today on where to go. Yesterday she ignored the litter box and went in a corner but I took all her poops and put them in the box and put the litter box over the area where she went potty. I cleaned it up of course and then put the litter box over it. And I just got back home from work and she has only been going pee and poop in the box. So she has picked up on it :)

She is still very frightened. She has never been tamed or socialized. :( she has only been a farm animal her whole life and never a pet.

But here are photos of her (the first three are ones from the Craigslist ad)
In the first photo you can kind of see something is wrong with her eye. Well the hair around it at least. Its like that because its all crusty and goopy. And in the last photo you can kind of see the infection a little.

Also, I need to name her. She looks like the season Fall because of the reddish brown she is. And if I have the second bunny's name be Calliope and then there's Luna.... Those are both goddess names and it would be nice to name this third one with a goddess name but I want one that also matches the season of Fall. Idk Idk, it doesn't have to be that, as long as I find a name that really fits her. What names does she look like that are is both a Goodness name and Fall related? Or both Goddess related and astronomy related?

IMG_20160823_204133.jpg 00Q0Q_fnu9SJqa4mV_600x450.jpg 00w0w_izVH7AJsWm8_600x450.jpg 1472698186624.jpg

Reactions: KLS52 and Amy SF
Thank you. And yes, it us a very cute name. ❤

I tried cleaning her eye with a wet cloth. There is milky white discharge. :( I cannot get her into the vet until the 16th. But I look at it this way..... Her previous owners would have not taken her so at least she is in a better home where she is comfortable, safe, and will soon get treatment.

:'(

I was thinking of maybe making a gofundme account for her but I don't know anyone who would help and I have one friend who could share it on her fb but most likely no one would help. And you kind of need to know people for those type of things.

What about naming her Autumn, or Solstice? Solstice was the name my friend at the shelter gave my bunny before I adopted her, but I already had Winter and I didn't want the names to be too matching. So I changed it to Liberty, which totally fits her back story, what little I know of it, and her free spirited/adventurous nature.

Reactions: Amy SF and KLS52
Thank you.

When I see her to me those names don't fit. I wish they did. She is this gorgeous brownish red.
But this is so diffuclt. What about the name Isabella?

Also for the dark brown one, I really don't like the name Calliope. And I think I am giving up on naming them names related to Luna or goddess type names. When I picked the name luna that wasn't even what I was going for.
When you guys see the brown one what name does she look like to you? Any name, doesn't have to be related to anything as long ad it looks like it matchs her and her personality.