NSFW THE TRUMPOCALYPSE

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's all fun and games until he gets impeached and all the Republicans scurry off the sinking boat, is what I'm saying.

With a Republican House and Senate, he'd have to do something massively, obviously, screamingly in the nature of "high crimes and misdemeanors."

A Republican Congress is not going to be launching investigations of a Republican president, much less start impeachment proceedings. There would have to be a truly huge groundswell of voters exerting pressure before that would even be a possibility.

I'm "liking" that for all the good it will do, Lol.
ETA: Hilary's 1.7 million votes.

Yeah, it wouldn't have helped her. The Electoral College is what screwed things up. Her "extra" votes were in the states she won by large margins, and the states which Trump won by large enough margins to not make a difference if recounted.

As many as 30-40 million people are excluded from voting.

The most common form of systemic disenfranchisement targeting citizens is through the racialized politics of mass-incarceration that strip 6.1 million citizens of the right to vote. Again, many countries allow inmates to vote, with participation rates often comparable to those of the broader society they are a part of. As Michelle Alexander masterfully points out in The New Jim Crow: Mass Incarceration in the Age of Colorblindness, imprisonment has been a primary means of disenfranchising African-Americans. There are currently 2.2 million individuals behind bars in the US (including those who haven’t been convicted but are unable to post bail), as well as 3.9 million former inmates. Of this number, 1.4 million are African-American males (13% of the African-American male population in the US). In effect, 2.4% of potential voters with citizenship are rendered ineligible to vote as a result of felony disenfranchisement.

This is a crucial demographic of US citizens who have been stripped of one of their core rights due to policies that are systematically racist in their effects.

Actually, I think the voting age should be lowered. If you're old enough to drive a car, you should be old enough to vote.

I also agree that being convicted of a felony shouldn't invalidate you from voting, at least not for your lifetime.

The guardianship thing is another matter, IMO. People who are under guardianship are pretty significantly impaired cognitively. Giving them the right to vote would, in almost all cases, effectively give whichever caretaker has the most influence at any given time a second vote.

Last edited:
Corporate media refers to these scumbags as alt-right. That's political correct nonsense. They're neo-Nazis.

That's not so easy. Even if you limit protests to public parks, if the protest is of any size, traffic is going to be affected.

Also, if you limit a protest to a public park, by definition you're going to be severely limiting its effectiveness - out of sight, out of mind.

Traffic gets snarled up for all kinds of reasons - professional sports games, motorcades, Mardi Gras and other celebrations and parades. Targeting political speech while managing to live with all of the other things that mess up traffic seems problematic to me.

I might buy that it wouldn't be effective if they didn't block streets except that I've been on way more protests than these dumbasses probably ever will, and we got heard without blocking streets/interstates/routes to a major hospital. And I'm not calling them dumbasses because they're protesting; blocking streets is what earns them that title. It creates a safety hazard for everyone involved, including their own dumb selves.

Last edited:
13669065_10209625098161361_827388370184268452_n_zpsgfqqfw7w.jpg

So if your loved one dies because the ambulance was stuck in traffic while the protesters played in the street, you're okay with that? I'm not. And I wouldn't want to "kill them all" under normal circumstances but if they are between me and a critically ill loved one in a hospital I'm not sure what thoughts would cross my mind.

So your activism didn't make that big of an impact, and you want to punish those whose activism did? That... kind of undermines the purpose of activism, doesn't it?

Where did I say we didn't make an impact? I said we protested without blocking streets and endangering people. That makes us smart, not ineffective.

So if your loved one dies because the ambulance was stuck in traffic while the protesters played in the street, you're okay with that? I'm not. And I wouldn't want to "kill them all" under normal circumstances but if they are between me and a critically ill loved one in a hospital I'm not sure what thoughts would cross my mind.
Or what if I was stranded on a deserted island? You're asking the wrong person. I am completely in favor of people protesting in the streets, or anywhere, peacefully or violently. Nonviolence only works if your opponent has a conscience. It's clear that the people in power, and the police who protect them, do not.

I might buy that it wouldn't be effective if they didn't block streets except that I've been on way more protests than these dumbasses probably ever will, and we got heard without blocking streets/interstates/routes to a major hospital. And I'm not calling them dumbasses because they're protesting; blocking streets is what earns them that title. It creates a safety hazard for everyone involved, including their own dumb selves.

Sure, small protests can be made without interfering with traffic. But when you start getting into thousands or tens of thousands of people protesting....

We can't normalize this under any circumstances, but I'm afraid we're going to see a lot more of this in the next few years.

See, when people talked endlessly about how there would be 'checks and balances' on Dump, how the President's role 'didn't really matter all that much' or how he 'wouldn't really have that much power'... this is the **** they refused to acknowledge.

Dorito Fingers Scuzzball has enabled all the worst kinds of people, made them comfortable giving white nationalist speeches applauding grotesque traditions of imperialism and openly disparaging Jewish people. His victory has made them even feel comfortable doing a nazi salute out in the open, which even the most conservative of conservative politicians would have lambasted before. Nazis are kind of the universal bad guys in the United States for a reason; now their ideological offspring are getting cozy and trying to open us up to the idea of their hideous way of thinking being a normal part of this country.

It's true that there aren't any more or less racists in America before, that the effects of racism and bigotry have always been felt hard by those at the bottom. But there's always been a barrier, however flimsy that barrier might be, between openly Fascistic people and the means to power. That barrier is gone now.

Reactions: KLS52
Status
Not open for further replies.