NSFW THE TRUMPOCALYPSE

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think he compares quite favourably to Bush junior as well. I did a comparison of US presidents in this thread here:
History - A good leader vs a good person
There is nothing favorable about W. :brood: Granted, Trump is the worst of the worst, but I loathed Bush Jr... still do... and to liken him to Obama?!? :ttth:

George W. Bush, Jr. - The Dark Side

Trump May Be Worse, But George W. Bush Was a Godawful President

https://www.dailydot.com/via/george-bush-worst-president-ever/

Last edited:
There is nothing favorable about W. :brood: Granted, Trump is the worst of the worst, but I loathed Bush Jr... still do... and to liken him to Obama?!? :ttth:
I'm wasn't (or at least didn't intend to be!) likening Bush jr to Obama, just saying Obama was a better president than both the guy who came after as well as the one preceding him. If Obama was to be likened to any other recent president, I suppose it should be Clinton.

I'm wasn't (or at least didn't intend to be!) likening Bush jr to Obama, just saying Obama was a better president than both the guy who came after as well as the one preceding him. If Obama was to be likened to any other recent president, I suppose it should be Clinton.
Maybe I misinterpreted. Sorry, I've always a real raw spot for Dubya... that Heir Frumpenstein managed to turn into a festering wound. :bag: LOL

Many of the ideas party leaders have latched onto in an attempt to appeal to their lost voters — free college tuition, raising the minimum wage to $15, even Medicare for all — test poorly among voters outside the base. The people in these polls and focus groups tend to see those proposals as empty promises, at best.

The call for free college tuition fosters both resentment at ivory tower elitism and regret from people who have degrees but are now buried under debt. Many voters see “free” as a lie — either they’ll end up paying for tuition some other way, or worse, they’ll be paying the tuition of someone else who’ll be getting a degree for free.

“When Democrats go and talk to working-class voters, we think talking to them about how we can help their children go to college, they have a better life, is great,” said Ali Lapp, executive director of House Majority PAC, which supports Democratic House candidates. “They are not interested. … It’s a problem when you have a growing bloc in the electorate think that college is not good, and they actually disdain folks that go to college.

Medicare-for-all tests better, but it, too, generates suspicion. The challenge is that most voters in focus groups believe it’s a pipe dream — they ask who will pay for it and suspect it will lead to a government takeover of health care — and therefore wonder whether the politicians talking to them about it are being less than forthright, too.
But attacking Republicans on the issue is tricky. The specifics of GOP alternatives are unpopular, but most voters don’t realize Republicans had a plan, so it’s hard to persuade them to care about the details of something that never came to be.

Raising the minimum wage to $15 is as unpopular as it was when the Obama White House tried to make it Democrats’ rallying cry in the 2014 midterms. Participants in battleground-state focus groups said they see that rate as relatively high and the issue in general as being mostly about redistributing money to the poor.

On immigration and trade, voters remain largely aligned with Trump. Data show that voters believe that the economy is moving in the right direction and resent Democrats attacking its progress.

Teflon Don confounds Democrats

These are all reasons why I worry that the Bernie liberals will end up handing the 2018 midterms and the 2020 elections tp the GOP.

These are all reasons why I worry that the Bernie liberals will end up handing the 2018 midterms and the 2020 elections tp the GOP.

Your fear is noted. You could be right. Trump won last time, because the Democratic Party was ignorant of who its base really is. They defeated themselves. As long as they think in terms of election results, instead of legislative results, their strategy will be self-defeating. Without the so-called 'Bernie liberals,' they have no voter base. Unfortunately, they may well cut their own throats again.

Your fear is noted. You could be right. Trump won last time, because the Democratic Party was ignorant of who its base really is. They defeated themselves. As long as they think in terms of election results, instead of legislative results, their strategy will be self-defeating. Without the so-called 'Bernie liberals,' they have no voter base. Unfortunately, they may well cut their own throats again.

I think the Bernie liberals overestimate the palatability of their ideas, and they are going to try to push the Democrats to far to the left to permit them to win. And if the Democrats don't go as far to the left as the Bernie liberals want, then the Bernie liberals aren't going to turn out. And we'll have another four years of dt and/or Pence.

Reactions: FortyTwo
Status
Not open for further replies.