NSFW THE TRUMPOCALYPSE

Status
Not open for further replies.
I remember my (biological) father deriding my mother for wanting to read the newspaper, questioning why she needs to know what's going on because she had plenty do around the house, what with cooking, cleaning and taking care of us kids. The inherent patriarchal narrative is so entrenched. It's almost like the animal food industry. It's so ingrained that it's not questioned. Her own mother wouldn't pay for her to go to college for teaching because "why would you need to do that? Just get married and have kids; that's what you're supposed to do."

Well spoken. My grandmother wanted to go to school to become a teacher, but her own grandmother (her legal guardian) would not let her do it because getting married and having kids is the thing to do. It's scary to think how that attitude is not that far in the past.

And the rebuttal:

I'm not a fan of the rebuttal. It smacks of condescension. She also talks about herself way too much. Good luck getting the other side to react positively to that. And I say that as someone who supports the women's marches.

Last edited:
I thought the rebuttal was good and a good argument but that womans language is a bit vulgar and made me cringe (sorry) would have been a lot better without it. If I was a "college-educated, professional mom" like her I would not want my kids reading that, that is for sure.

a shame because I thought it was a good post apart from that.

Reactions: Katrina
Eh. I'm not a huge fan of arguments with the person talking about themselves so much. Just keep the rebuttals factual and succinct. She had some good points, but you need to read through a lot of fluff to get to it. Maybe it just annoys me because even though I'm privileged, I live paycheck to paycheck and really don't care to hear about how wonderful and lucky her own life is. I mean that's great for her, but I have no desire to hear all about it.

I found that part annoying too and to be honest I always avoid the kind of humble brag style post but for me, that wasnt the worst thing. I do like a well written feminist post though.

Reactions: Katrina
The point I'm making is that I didn't understand at all why DT would appeal to Americans and I'm just starting to understand why he had some appeal. It's only because it is very similar to what people say about the Labour Party and their voters in the UK. The Labour Party used to have a loyal working-class base of supporters, but the party has been seen to be too interested in minority causes, London-centric causes or causes that the average working-class person in the UK doesn't care about. It's probably what other people on here (Beancounter?) have said about identity politics in American politics. The Labour Party are getting hammered in the ratings now as I think they are around 15 points behind the Conservative party.

Yeah, I agree that it's very similar.

I think we need a crying emoji rating. :(
:sob:There ya go.

I feel like I should put together a scrap book for my futures kids (if I have any) to read some day. This is history happening. Crazy history.

:sob:There ya go.

I feel like I should put together a scrap book for my futures kids (if I have any) to read some day. This is history happening. Crazy history.
That might not be a bad idea, because I think we can be sure that history textbooks will be supplying "alternative facts." :brood:

OFF-TOPIC: Heat-wise, the downstairs is staying warmer than with the furnace! One space heater in living room, sometimes one on in the small hall (angled into bathroom), there's one for the laundry room in the basement (metal water pipes), and one that I put on in the small hall upstairs (pointed at the cats' room) and that warm air circulates enough to heat up the spare room where I hang out.... the last three heaters mentioned all get turned off if no one will be present, the first stays on for Mojo... and all are run on low. Jerry's gonna wait until his next bill and if it's lower, he WON'T get the furnace fixed! LOL

By the way, Jerry can buy a "tape" to prevent frozen pipes at places like Home Depot. It plugs in to an electric socket, it has its own thermostat, and is basically a flat rubberized thing with an electric cord inside the rubber. The rubber wraps around the pipe. When the room temperature goes down almost to freezing, say 35 degrees, the electricity flows through the tape, thus heating the pipe and keeping it from freezing.

By the way, Jerry can buy a "tape" to prevent frozen pipes at places like Home Depot. It plugs in to an electric socket, it has its own thermostat, and is basically a flat rubberized thing with an electric cord inside the rubber. The rubber wraps around the pipe. When the room temperature goes down almost to freezing, say 35 degrees, the electricity flows through the tape, thus heating the pipe and keeping it from freezing.
I know, we have that here. He's got insulating tape & a space heater in his basement laundry room for when the temp dips too low.... Available electrical outlets (that won't blow a breaker) are at a premium. For instance, if the heater in the basement is on, no one can use the toaster oven in the kitchen (same grid)... and no using the toaster oven & the microwave at the same time. :no:

I could not get the video to play properly. Is there a transcript of his remarks somewhere? Or a summary?

I could not find another version of the video. I embedded the code here:

Code:
<!-- TAG START { player: "Embed Player", owner: "Embed Company", for: "Embed" } --><div class="vdb_player vdb_5688f66de4b040e17d9912265688f5c1e4b0f2c97f395156" vdb_params="m.refbcid=56000e19e4b0e4e194b84b31&m.refpid=5668ae6ee4b0b5e26955d6a6"><script type="text/javascript" src="//delivery.vidible.tv/jsonp/pid=5688f66de4b040e17d991226/vid=58825411db4bc662edfe78e9/5688f5c1e4b0f2c97f395156.js"></script></div><!-- TAG END { date: 01/24/17 } -->

Can you do anything with that?? LOL :confused: I'll keep looking, since original video is nearly 40 minutes....

Last edited:
Yeah, I agree that it's very similar.

Finally, I agree. This is the point I've been trying to make and maybe I wasn't being clear. I don't agree with people who voted for Brexit, or voted for Trump, but I'm trying to see their side. I'm not defending them, I'm trying to understand a different viewpoint to my own views.

ETA - what Ledboots said about people on here being out of touch applies to me too. I have no idea why I am so clueless about working-class people and what they think. I spent my teen years living with my mother when she was a single parent on benefits and I was "poor" and got free school meals etc... Somewhere along the line since then, I have lost touch with what some (not all) working-class people think.o_O:confused:

Last edited:
I think the out-of-touch thing goes both ways. I've lived almost all my life in the midst of people who this year voted for DT, and their inability to acknowledge facts that don't conform to their worldview is pretty astounding. (The young man who is the subject of the Mother Jones article I cited above is a prime example of many people I have known throughout my life.)

OTOH, people on the left can be equally ignorant in their own right.

I don't even know what social class I belong to anymore. I grew up in a middle class home, and my parents are well off (not rich, but doing well), and I'm college/university educated, yet I've been struggling to support myself for years. I've gone without health care due to costs (we don't get free dental health checks here anymore or free eye exams), and yeah basically just am forced to be frugal all the time. So I don't even know where that puts me. lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.