TV & Film The TV Room

Oh, boo, that's disappointing. I had high hopes for that one. My sister DVR'd it, as she thought it might be a good one, too.

I skipped Ms. Christmas Comes to Town. The premise is that a shopping channel host gets a terminal diagnosis, blah, blah, blah. I stopped there. I don't like movies where people are dying, especially on the Hallmark channel!
It's getting rave reviews by most of the people in the hallmark groups so it could just be me.

I actually liked Ms. Christmas. It wasn't terribly sad. Normally I skip those kinds of movies because I don't like sad/drama in a Christmas movie. The dialogue was a bit over the top imo...extra sappy/cheesy, even for hallmark. That stood out to me for some reason. But overall it wasn't a waste of time for me. I was surprised. Maybe because I love Brennan Elliot.

• Informative
Reactions: Emma JC and PTree15
It's getting rave reviews by most of the people in the hallmark groups so it could just be me.

I actually liked Ms. Christmas. It wasn't terribly sad. Normally I skip those kinds of movies because I don't like sad/drama in a Christmas movie. The dialogue was a bit over the top imo...extra sappy/cheesy, even for hallmark. That stood out to me for some reason. But overall it wasn't a waste of time for me. I was surprised. Maybe because I love Brennan Elliot.
I love Brennan Elliot as well! I'm glad it wasn't awful. My sister informed me that she thinks I will like Mystic Christmas. :) So we will see!

Reactions: KLS52
As I really liked „The Rookie“ and no new season is coming up on any of my streaming services (Netfilx, Disney, Prime), I have started to watch all the old „Castle“ series to get my Nathan Fillion fix.

Reactions: Emma JC
I was able to get hold of The Mandalorian from a friend. I binge-watched the whole three seasons. I quite enjoyed it, but I thought it should have ended after season 2. Season 3 was just OK.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: KLS52 and Emma JC
As I really liked „The Rookie“ and no new season is coming up on any of my streaming services (Netfilx, Disney, Prime), I have started to watch all the old „Castle“ series to get my Nathan Fillion fix.
Don't forget Firefly.
oh. and maybe Dr. Horrible's Sing a long blog

We finally finished Bodies.

We watched a film called Locked In after. It is number 1 on Netflix UK. It was watchable.

I'm now watching the end of the Sly documentary on Netflix. Quite obsessed with Netflix at the moment!

After reading the latest Strike novel I decided to re-watch some of the TV shows.

They are very hard to find streaming for free. Ended up going to the library. I found the first 4 but not the fifth. Even the librarian couldn't find the 5th.

Anyway over the last couple of days I've finished the first 3.
They are pretty short. The first 3 are just about 7 hours long.
I thought the last one, Career of Evil seemed a bit rushed at the end. The other ones were very good.

Maybe the only benefit of having a poor memory is that even after having read the book and seen the TV show - I had mostly forgotten whodunit.

• Haha
  • Friendly
I got caught up on a couple shows today. "Transplant" is a regular network medical drama that I have to stream on Peacock because the channel won't come in over the air. It's a Canadian show and pretty good. I read that this season, the 4th, will be the last. And the title refers to the main character who is a Syrian immigrant, not to transplant operations. Also watched the latest "Generation V". I am starting to lose interest in this one. Then I watched a few "Clone Wars" episodes. It will take me forever to get through this one!

• Informative
Started All the Light You Cannot See last night.
I watched two episodes last night and during the second episode I started thinking that they were going too fast - no way it was going to last 8 episodes. I looked it up this morning and it's just 4 episodes.
I guess I just got acclimated to Netflix's adaptions which are usually 8 episodes.

Just thought I'd mention that the tv show is based on a pulitzer award winning novel. I read it a long time ago and I loved it.
I just checked out the reviews and they are overwhelmingly bad. I read the blurbs on Rotten Tomatoes. I just don't understand people.

This review stood out: This wartime miniseries suffers from the same shortcomings as its source material.
- Brooks Eisenbise Chicago Reader

Wait! What? You mean the Pulitzer Prize awarded source material??

--
I finally got a copy of CB Strike, book 5, Troubled Blood on DVD. Looking forward to watching that later this week.

• Informative
I watched two episodes last night and during the second episode I started thinking that they were going too fast - no way it was going to last 8 episodes. I looked it up this morning and it's just 4 episodes.
I guess I just got acclimated to Netflix's adaptions which are usually 8 episodes.

Just thought I'd mention that the tv show is based on a pulitzer award winning novel. I read it a long time ago and I loved it.
I just checked out the reviews and they are overwhelmingly bad. I read the blurbs on Rotten Tomatoes. I just don't understand people.

This review stood out: This wartime miniseries suffers from the same shortcomings as its source material.
- Brooks Eisenbise Chicago Reader

Wait! What? You mean the Pulitzer Prize awarded source material??

--
I finally got a copy of CB Strike, book 5, Troubled Blood on DVD. Looking forward to watching that later this week.
I keep reading very different reviews of that too!

I have watched the first episode as well and just thought that it felt waaaaaaay too fantastic.
As in - a fantasy story with inhumanly evil villains and very unrealistic things happening.
Specifically - How would the message "please read page 115 and page 132 tomorrow" from her uncle, after she has not seen him for a few weeks, help the Allied Bomber Command to pinpoint the Nazi defenses in a city?

Last edited:
from the library I was able to get the Strike dvds and so we started watching the first last night - so far so good - very similar to the book so I can't wait to get to the next Season which I haven't read - the actors are good

Emma JC
Find your vegan soulmate or just a friend. www.spiritualmatchmaking.com