TV & Film The TV Room

I have watched the first episode as well and just thought that it felt waaaaaaay too fantastic.
As in - a fantasy story with inhumanly evil villains and very unrealistic things happening.
Specifically - How would the message "please read page 115 and page 132 tomorrow" from her uncle, after she has not seen him for a few weeks, help the Allied Bomber Command to pinpoint the Nazi defenses in a city?
It's been a long time since I read the book (BTW, I totally recommend it). but if memory serves me correctly the secret messages in the book were in morse code. The story around the secret messages was much more convoluted and complicated, too.

In defense of the screenplay I can suggest an explanation. The reading of the pages provided a signal that the bombers could follow for most of the bombing run. And the pages numbers indicated maybe a some fine tuning so that their bombers could make course corrections to attack the defenses and not just head strait into Maries home.

from the library I was able to get the Strike dvds and so we started watching the first last night - so far so good - very similar to the book so I can't wait to get to the next Season which I haven't read - the actors are good

Emma JC
Find your vegan soulmate or just a friend. www.spiritualmatchmaking.com

I recommend reading the books first. But then I loved the books. the DVDs would spoil the books. I read the books first and then it was years before I watched the DVDs and with my bad memory it was like I couldn't remember whodunit. So it was almost like new.

The other thing about reading the books first is that the characters on the screen have more depth and are more appreciated.

I've stated before how good I think the casting was done. As a guy I was fell in love with Robin. I wonder if females fall in love with Strike.

ha. I saw the headline of that review in my NewsFeeder. I didn't know who Joe was so I sort of passed it by.
Meanwhile from Wikipedia, "The review aggregator website Rotten Tomatoes reported an 23% approval rating with an average rating of 5.1/10, based on 47 critic reviews"

Well, I still like it. I was going to finish it last night but I was too tired. So I'll finish it tonight

Another TV show I'm watching that is based on a book I love is Lessons in Chemistry.
Today's episode (yes I'm crazy - I watched it while eating breakfast), has really diverged from the book. not in some needless or inconsequential way like some adaptions. The TV show has added a whole civil rights thread, a morality message, and has become more dramatic, too. Not sure I like it. I loved the book and I would be happier if they stuck more to the source material.
But after reading some of the misogynist and racist comments about the show - I'm not going to complain.

And in contrast to All The Light You Cannot See, it's getting rave reviews.
From Wikipedia, " Rotten Tomatoes reported a 83% approval rating with an average rating of 7.4/10, based on 59 critic reviews. The website's critics consensus reads, "Touching on several hot button issues while benefitting immensely from a perfect pinch of Brie Larson, Lessons in Chemistry's ambitious ingredients add up to satisfying entertainment."[7] Metacritic"

I recommend reading the books first. But then I loved the books. the DVDs would spoil the books. I read the books first and then it was years before I watched the DVDs and with my bad memory it was like I couldn't remember whodunit. So it was almost like new.

The other thing about reading the books first is that the characters on the screen have more depth and are more appreciated.

I've stated before how good I think the casting was done. As a guy I was fell in love with Robin. I wonder if females fall in love with Strike.

yeah, it was definitely a bit less interesting, knowing what was coming - I haven't read the second one yet so will see if the DVD is good still

every female could use a Strike in their life :woo:

Emma JC

Started All the Light You Cannot See last night.
I watched two episodes last night and during the second episode I started thinking that they were going too fast - no way it was going to last 8 episodes. I looked it up this morning and it's just 4 episodes.
I guess I just got acclimated to Netflix's adaptions which are usually 8 episodes.

Just thought I'd mention that the tv show is based on a pulitzer award winning novel. I read it a long time ago and I loved it.
I just checked out the reviews and they are overwhelmingly bad. I read the blurbs on Rotten Tomatoes. I just don't understand people.

This review stood out: This wartime miniseries suffers from the same shortcomings as its source material.
- Brooks Eisenbise Chicago Reader

Wait! What? You mean the Pulitzer Prize awarded source material??

--
I finally got a copy of CB Strike, book 5, Troubled Blood on DVD. Looking forward to watching that later this week.

well we watched the first two episodes last night and we are enjoying it very much - I have not read the book - it is a 7.7 on IMDB

Emma JC

Reactions: Lou
Anyone watch the Devils Hour on Prime? I saw the first two episodes, cause Peter Capaldi, and while intrigued, I'm afraid it's going to just go on and on like so many other new series. Or maybe I just don't have the right attention span?

Anyone watch the Devils Hour on Prime? I saw the first two episodes, cause Peter Capaldi, and while intrigued, I'm afraid it's going to just go on and on like so many other new series. Or maybe I just don't have the right attention span?
I can't really remember, but I know we did see that as I read about it the other day and remembered Peter Capaldi being in it.

I wanted something kind of lighthearted so I started the TV show Chuck tonight. It may take a few months to get through, but why the heck not.

Reactions: Emma JC
I wanted something kind of lighthearted so I started the TV show Chuck tonight. It may take a few months to get through, but why the heck not.
Back when it was on TV I used to watch it. I don't think I got past the first season but back then I thought it was entertaining.

• Friendly
I'm watching Location, Location, Location. It is a British show about buying property. It is set in east London this week so I recorded it as I know some of the areas quite well.

one of these days I will have to visit London. I feel like I know it pretty well from the Detective mysteries I read.
There is SOHO from the Strike novels, Mayfair from CJ Archer novels, East End from the Midwife shows,

Reactions: Raven and Emma JC