TV & Film The TV Room

so this may seem weird but until the past week we have never watched Game of Thrones - my honey decided he wanted to watch it and so has been doing so while I try to ignore it and read... it is obviously extremely interesting and yet everything inside myself despises it as it feels to me like it boosts division and hatred and violence - I don't feel like it would fundamentally change me however I can imagine that some people would think that shows like that would give them license to treat the world around them the same way people on GoT do - am I over reacting to this in your opinion?

Emma JC
Find your vegan soulmate or just a friend. www.spiritualmatchmaking.com

• Friendly
Reactions: PTree15
I don't know if I can put into words my experience with watching GOT. I resisted watching for so long. It's 100% not something I would normally be interested in. But everyone in my family was watching and discussing it. I finally gave in and admittedly got hooked, even though I hated so much about it lol. I don't know what the draw was. It still has me confused because so much of it bothered me.

• Friendly
Reactions: PTree15 and Emma JC
I don't know if I can put into words my experience with watching GOT. I resisted watching for so long. It's 100% not something I would normally be interested in. But everyone in my family was watching and discussing it. I finally gave in and admittedly got hooked, even though I hated so much about it lol. I don't know what the draw was. It still has me confused because so much of it bothered me.

thank you - you summed up how I feel very well - I know that if I watch it I will find it fascinating as I already do from just the bits and pieces I am glimpsing... and hate it too...

Emma JC

Reactions: KLS52
so this may seem weird but until the past week we have never watched Game of Thrones - my honey decided he wanted to watch it and so has been doing so while I try to ignore it and read... it is obviously extremely interesting and yet everything inside myself despises it as it feels to me like it boosts division and hatred and violence - I don't feel like it would fundamentally change me however I can imagine that some people would think that shows like that would give them license to treat the world around them the same way people on GoT do - am I over reacting to this in your opinion?

Emma JC
I read the first book and that was it for me. This was before it became a thing.
I am sensitive to that kind of stuff and didn't like the book despite that I am a big fantasy fan.
First they kill that pet wolf and then they throw the kid out the window.
I never even started watching the TV show.

• Agree
  • Informative
Reactions: Emma JC and KLS52
I have read all the GOT books and watched the series. I found parts of it extremely disturbing.... but there are dragons.
True. but there worlds with nice people and nice dragons. I.e. Pern, Temeraire, When women...

I generally like both fantasy and science-fiction, but yes- both of those genres tend to be violent, and I think it detracts from the story. "Star Trek" was notably better than most sci-fi in this regard, although Dr McCoy's most frequent line was: "He's dead, Jim". :lol:

As to whether watching shows with such content would influence people to start acting more like the characters, even a little.... Maybe young children would be more susceptible to this, but I don't even know about that- I honestly think that someone's real-life interactions have far more of an effect. But I'm no psychologist. I vaguely remember something about children acting like the comedy show, "The Three Stooges", which was more of a slapstick-type violence- Moe would bop Larry or Curly on the head frequently, and with little provocation, but nobody was maimed or killed.

• Friendly
Reactions: Emma JC
I stopped watching GOT as I found it too violent, especially sexually violent. I did watch the very last episode and it was very dull! Apparently the episode before the very last one was very violent.

• Agree
Reactions: Emma JC
We watched the first episode of Bad Monkey today which is the new Apple show with Vince Vaughan. It didn't really grab me. He looks like he has had a lot of cosmetic work done to his face as well, which I found distracting, lol.

• Informative
Reactions: Emma JC and PTree15
True. but there worlds with nice people and nice dragons. I.e. Pern, Temeraire, When women...

I am quite fascinated with special effects and really enjoy the amazing work that is done on the dragons in GOT. While I like "nice" dragons, I rather enjoy the mean ones too!

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: Emma JC and Lou
I just finished A Good Girl's Guide to Murder. I did enjoy it while I was watching it. It was intriguing and I paid a lot of attention to it and followed the mystery.
However when it was over and I started thinking about it... well.. I wouldn't call it plot holes but there are several important actions performed by main character that don't make sense. Except to provide us with red herrings.
I only just perused the reviews and it seems like there are others complaining about plot holes. and the general consensus was the book was much better.
the book is part of a series - I think maybe I'll read the second book in the series.
I wonder if Netflix will make a second season.

Oh and if anyone who has watched the series and wants to discuss it - send me a PM.

• Informative
my honey is most of the way through the 3rd season of GoT and I keep getting drawn in as it is difficult to avoid - grrrr it is interesting and terrible

I have requested Seasons 1 & 2 of The Americans at the library.

Emma JC

Reactions: PTree15 and Raven
I have been on an animated Star Wars stories binge! I finished The Clone Wars and Bad Batch and now have started another short series about the Jedi. Such fun! And they are short episodes so can be watched when time is a factor.

Reactions: Emma JC and PTree15
I have been on an animated Star Wars stories binge! I finished The Clone Wars and Bad Batch and now have started another short series about the Jedi. Such fun! And they are short episodes so can be watched when time is a factor.
I' m interested. I've been looking for something new and fun.

Where should I start?

I have been watching old series that everybody else had already seen years ago on Netflix recently (Peaky Blinders, Breaking Bad, Better Call Saul) and have now arrived at Mad Men.

Also very good, although it surprises me that there are any characters in the series who are more than 50 years old, given their tobacco consumption habits. On second thought, all those characters I presume to be in their fifties might just as well only be in their thirties....