TV & Film The TV Room

I just remembered that the new series of Seal Team has come out so we will watch that later. It is the final season.

Reactions: Emma JC
I have been watching old series that everybody else had already seen years ago on Netflix recently (Peaky Blinders, Breaking Bad, Better Call Saul) and have now arrived at Mad Men.

I didn't like any of those shows. I did watch the first season of Mad Men.

Also very good, although it surprises me that there are any characters in the series who are more than 50 years old, given their tobacco consumption habits. On second thought, all those characters I presume to be in their fifties might just as well only be in their thirties....

yeah. right. but I don't think lung cancer or cirrhosis occurs to most people until they are older.

I grew up in the time period of Mad Men. If I remember right I did the math and me and the little girl would have been born the same year (1955). I still remember going to the pediatrician and he would be smoking during my exam. my father had both ashtrays and a little bar in his office.

But even worse.... we didn't have seat belts.

Reactions: Andy_T
yes, I can remember at least twice, when my mom was driving and came to an abrupt stop, my face hit the dashboard...

Emma JC
Find your vegan soulmate or just a friend. www.spiritualmatchmaking.com
Did you ever ride in the well in front of the rear window?
Play with plastic bags?

All stuff the kids did in Mad Men.

It's amazing we made it thru puberty.

Reactions: Emma JC and Andy_T
Did you ever ride in the well in front of the rear window?
Play with plastic bags?

All stuff the kids did in Mad Men.

It's amazing we made it thru puberty.

I haven't watched Mad Men but I did ride up on the rear window ledge/well on a regular basis on road trips.

Emma JC

Does anyone watch Love Is Blind? They have a UK version that my daughters are watching. I get caught up in their conversations about it in our group texts. I normally hate reality tv but I find myself being intrigued with the whole concept...better than the Bachelor...I just don't know if I want to get involved lol. But it would be nice to know what they're talking about when the daughters are chatting.

^ I watch Gogglebox (which is a show where people just sit there and comment on TV shows) and I have seen a clip of Love is Blind. They always show Married at First Sight too, the Aussie version.

Reactions: KLS52
ugh, as you all may have suspected I have been watching Game of Thrones along with my honey.... it is hard not to get involved - we are in the home stretch, Season 7

Emma JC

I am a few episodes into House of Dragons and while I do like it, I have to say it is not as good as GOT. The characters are just not as appealing to me as the original people. The cinematography and special effects are awesome and the acting really good though. I will stick with it and hope to feel a little more connected to these pre-GOT people.

• Informative
Reactions: KLS52 and Emma JC
I don't like shows that have what I think is called "shadowing" or as Garp would call it - the undertoad.

as a non-native speaker of English, I have not heard that expression yet. What exactly does it mean?
(Google search was unsuccessful)

as a non-native speaker of English, I have not heard that expression yet. What exactly does it mean?
(Google search was unsuccessful)
Hmm. as far as shadowing goes - I may be misusing that or just plain mixed up. I googled it and didn't find it ..
oh wait... I guess I meant Foreshawdoing.

Foreshadowing is a literary device that alludes to a later point in the story. For example, if a character mentions offhandedly that bad things always happen to them in autumn, then the observant reader will be alert when the leaves in the story begin to fall.

In my case just change the word alert to anxious
I've always considered it to be something in the story that makes you fear the future. (anxiety)

The author who pretty much instilled my dislike of foreshadowing was John Irving in The World According to Garp. If you haven't read the book you should. Or at least watch the movie. (despite the foreshadowing) anyway, don't know if this will make that much sense but Walt, the kid in the book mishears the word undertow for under toad which he then believes is a giant toad that lives in the sea and can suck you down. When his parents figure this out, they adopt the word under toad for anxiety. and for some reason I saw their anxiety as foreshadowing.

• Informative
Reactions: Andy_T and KLS52
we binged Season 8 of GoT last evening and finished around 1am - happy that it is over and can't say I didn't enjoy most of it - detest the fight scenes and there were a few scenes that seemed to drag out... on to The American tonight

Emma JC

I watched a couple more House of the Dragon and there were dragons fighting and it was awesome. LOL They really do a great job with the effects!

• Informative
We are on season 2 of The Americans now.

We've now watched the first 6 episodes of Season 1 and like most shows that have violence I have to ease in until the story lines catch me... it is very interesting and I do wish there was less darkness and more joy.

Emma JC

• Friendly
Reactions: Raven
I watched a couple more House of the Dragon and there were dragons fighting and it was awesome. LOL They really do a great job with the effects!
My brother likes that show.
We've now watched the first 6 episodes of Season 1 and like most shows that have violence I have to ease in until the story lines catch me... it is very interesting and I do wish there was less darkness and more joy.

Emma JC
It is quite dark in places. We are starting season 3 tonight.

• Informative
I have been watching old series that everybody else had already seen years ago on Netflix recently (Peaky Blinders, Breaking Bad, Better Call Saul) and have now arrived at Mad Men.

Also very good, although it surprises me that there are any characters in the series who are more than 50 years old, given their tobacco consumption habits. On second thought, all those characters I presume to be in their fifties might just as well only be in their thirties....
(Bold emphasis mine) Indeed! Cigarette smoking can age a person.