US US Politics 2024

Biden calls Kamala Harris ‘Vice-President Trump’ and Zelenskiy ‘President Putin’,

At this point Biden may be passed the point of no return. He's stubbornly refusing to go and staining his legacy by doing so but he may even be pushed out anyway (although unclear to me on the exact mechanism to do this other than pressure from his colleagues public and private to persuade him).

Disappointed to see Kamala Harris emerge as the favourite to replace, she is also unpopular, and unlikeable to some. There are also smarter democrats available.

However The ABC News/Washington Post/Ipsos poll, released Thursday, surveyed 2,431 adults and found that if Harris were to replace Biden on the Democratic presidential ticket, she would lead Trump in the popular vote: 49 percent to 46 percent among all adults. Among registered voters, she held a narrower lead of 49 percent to 47 percent. Source: Donald Trump gets bad news about Kamala Harris

However the Economist poll has Trump ahead National Polls

So might be a slight improvement but we could do with more surveys than just that one.

The polls by Emerson college at the above good link don't look good for the democrats ad they have Trump beating various potential candidates.

Disappointed to see Kamala Harris emerge as the favourite to replace, she is also unpopular, and unlikeable to some. There are also smarter democrats available.
Really curious who you have in mind? I don't think Harris is as near a poor choice as Hillary! I have no issues with the one who's served as VP the last four years to be the candidate--which is exactly as should be
The dems are more concerned with policing their party and keeping the progressives from having any power than they are ensuring republican defeat!
I'm almost hoping RFK is on the ballot just to take some trump votes. may be our best option.
Who the heck thinks it's a good idea to let the person suspected of mental decline be allowed to make the decision? This is more important than just taking away someones car keys 🤔
I'm too upset by this horrific mess we're in to think about it much. It's the young generation who suffers the consequences the most

I'm almost hoping RFK is on the ballot just to take some trump votes. may be our best option.
The polls I've looked at seem to suggest RFK unfortunately takes more votes from Biden than from Trump. I don't know if that would change a lot if Harris were the Dem candidate, but seems unlikely?

The polls I've looked at seem to suggest RFK unfortunately takes more votes from Biden than from Trump. I don't know if that would change a lot if Harris were the Dem candidate, but seems unlikely?
Huh, I've seen very much the opposite. Can't imagine that looney wouldn't attract those debating trump!

Yes, according to that page:
When asked whom they would support in an election with just two candidates, Kennedy supporters are divided: 47% say they would vote for Biden, while 44% say they would vote for Trump. Another 9% skipped the question.
The polls I've looked at seem to support that. I.e. there are polls from the same pollsters on the same day and same sample size, but asking to choose either just between Biden and Trump, or between Biden, Trump, RFK, West, Stein etc. And almost every time Biden loses more than Trump when there are other options. Maybe not a lot more, but enough that it could matter in a tight election. See e.g. polls at Five-Thirty-Eight: President: general election : 2024 Polls

I wonder why pollsters even have ask these questions with only two candidates when the election in November really will include these other candidates. In a way that seems disrespectful to candidates as well as their supporters, but more importantly it will give the wrong result.

Although, when looking at the polls at 270towin, there are in fact a couple of states, such as Michigan and New Jersey(!!!), where (at the moment) including 3rd parties flips the state from Trump to Biden, or narrows Trump's lead (e.g. Pennsylvania).

(There's a tick box at the top of the page to include/exclude third parties.)

• Wow
Reactions: Second Summer
I was hoping maybe one of our US members would comment on this.

Political violence in a democratic country is not likely to contribute towards a better future. It will likely just lead to more distrust, polarization, violence.

Also, I suspect Trump's chances of winning the election just climbed considerably. It might not really matter who is the Democrat's candidate at this point.

• Agree
Reactions: KLS52 and Raven

Political violence in a democratic country is not likely to contribute towards a better future. It will likely just lead to more distrust, polarization, violence.

Also, I suspect Trump's chances of winning the election just climbed considerably. It might not really matter who is the Democrat's candidate at this point.

Same here. It’s been all over the UK news all week end.

Reactions: Raven

It feels like we're being taunted. We have to be civil and condemn the violence, while the right has forever been the ones to spread vitriole,, division, and threaten the very lives of those they disagree with--from memes, twitters, tv ads and even Christmas cards.
This attempt doesn't change a thing, except make it harder because the dems now have to bite their tongue when we alll want to use the same words they;ve used when the tables were turned.
Don't know if it will make much of difference or not when it comes to the election.
Lest anyone forget:

trump picked jd vance as his running mate. i guess 'never' needs a new definition 🙄

Also, I suspect Trump's chances of winning the election just climbed considerably.
My brother told me about what happened when I woke up the other morning and I was floored. I said exactly this after he told me, that he this will win him sympathy and popularity.

• Agree
Reactions: Chryssie and KLS52
It would appear that the Secret Service was either (1) incompetent or (2) complicit. It seems unlikely that Biden or the Democratic Party leadership is responsible; an attempt on Trump's life would only serve to strengthen MAGA politics. Even if Trump had been killed, another Trump-aligned candidate would have been selected to replace him.

Last edited:
A good reminder 👍

From that article:
October 2019: A New York Times report outlined various strategies Trump had allegedly deliberated to keep migrants away from the U.S. southern border, including a water-filled trench with snakes or alligators and shooting migrants in the legs to slow them down.
There's something almost medieval yet comical with his idea of water-filled trenches with alligators and snakes to discourage migrants. I can totally see Disney's Scrooge McDuck building a gator-filled moat around his famous Money Bin building to keep intruders away. Yet I don't see that as a particularly practical solution for the more than 3,000 kilometres long southern border.

Reactions: Brian W
  • Sad
Reactions: Brian W and KLS52