US US Politics 2024

I just heard. Damn. I hope Newsom steps up.

😭

I mean I kind of get it. But it's so late.

I believe if they open the election they've handed it (more easily) to Trump.

@silva is Newsom not good? I just heard Biden nominated Kamala.

I'm so bad at this ... can someone explain how the process works? Lol.

I guess I should try and find a news station to listen to. I just don't want to get a stomachache. I'm so upset.

• Friendly
Reactions: Brian W
I don't remember any election where the incumbent didn't run so I have no idea how it works! You would think logically Kamala would be the candidate.

Reactions: KLS52
I think it has to be decided at the convention. But if no one else serious than Harris puts themselves forward, then you'd think it would be her by default. We'll just have to wait and see. It's probably a good thing that there is a bit of process so at least theoretically the party has some alternative options. It's still a while until the convention, though, 19-22. August.

I guess I should try and find a news station to listen to. I just don't want to get a stomachache. I'm so upset.
I don't know. Honestly, the past years I've realized my sons pretty knowledgable politically, and he's certainly gone on some Newsome rants! I don't know....
I am 100% backing Kamala Harris-- well, concerned with the vp pick.
I think the #1 in my mind is Katie Porter, though don't even think that's a possibility

Since Biden is just the "presumptive" nominee. there isn't any legal issues. The Democrats will pick a candidate at their convention. The only question is if the nominee will have a clear majority going into the convention. If not the convention is an "open convention" The last open convention was in 1968. that went badly for the Democrats with Hubert Humphrey becoming the candidate. And losing to Nixon. LBJ was president then and I can't remember if he wasn't allowed to run or if he just didn't have the support. Humphrey was his VP.

I'm feeling pretty confident that the Democrats will back Harris for president. There are some problems with her "electability". She is a woman and a person of color. However I think those things might be of benefit too. There are a lot of women who can vote. and there are a lot of people of color who can vote.

I think the other issue is that hardly anyone who doesn't follow the news closely knows who she is. Political operatives have been working on that since before she became VP but I don't think they have made a lot of headway. Of course the people they are trying to reach don't pay attention to the news and most people don't care about the VP.

That too might be turned into a plus. When Hilary ran against Trump she was fighting an uphill battle.

The other plus is that the possible VP candidates are a pretty good batch. this next election pretty much comes down to about 5 swing states. I think the best bet would be to pick a VP that would carry one (or more) of those states. Maybe North Carolina Governor Roy Cooper, or Michigan Gov. Gretchen Whitmer, or Pennsylvania Gov. Josh Shapiro.

Although I'm a fan of Newsome - California is already very blue.

One thing I think will happen regardless is that the Democratic Voters will be energized. And I think that is the most important thing in a close election. They say that one third will vote Republican and one third will vote Democrat. And one third won't vote. If you get one third of those non voters to vote democrat, the democrats will win.

Also energizing Dems can really help out the Down Ticket candidates. I've already heard people say Blue Wave.

Reactions: Emma JC and KLS52
The other plus is that the possible VP candidates are a pretty good batch. this next election pretty much comes down to about 5 swing states. I think the best bet would be to pick a VP that would carry one (or more) of those states. Maybe North Carolina Governor Roy Cooper, or Michigan Gov. Gretchen Whitmer, or Pennsylvania Gov. Josh Shapiro.
My cousins mentioned the swing states and that makes a lot of sense. Thanks for the post. It is very helpful.

I don't know. Honestly, the past years I've realized my sons pretty knowledgable politically, and he's certainly gone on some Newsome rants! I don't know....
I am 100% backing Kamala Harris-- well, concerned with the vp pick.
I think the #1 in my mind is Katie Porter, though don't even think that's a possibility
Admittedly I don't know that much about him but now, taking the swing states into account, he probably wouldn't be a smart choice.

I will back whoever is chosen, including Kamala. I just worry that we're not ready for a woman, let alone a woman who is a person of color, to be elected. Now that the shock has wore off, this is definitely going to be a very interesting next few months.

Admittedly I don't know that much about him but now, taking the swing states into account, he probably wouldn't be a smart choice.

I will back whoever is chosen, including Kamala. I just worry that we're not ready for a woman, let alone a woman who is a person of color, to be elected. Now that the shock has wore off, this is definitely going to be a very interesting next few months.
It isn't as much she's a woman, or that she's black, as prosecutor, her 'tough on crime' history rivals that of the Clinton era. She certainly wasn't well received as vp pick, and I'm not certain those same have forgiven her.
I broke the news to a friend, who now swears she'll skip the election :(

• Informative
...and it keeps getting worse. I've kept msnbc on while doing stuff, and now they're announcing Manchen :brood: is considering a presidential run!
I want to move away.....Canada? Mexico?

I'm listening to Heather Cox Richardson and she is making me feel a little better. I'm sure I'll be waffling from happy to sad every five minutes between now and November.

• Agree
Reactions: silva
I'm listening to Heather Cox Richardson and she is making me feel a little better. I'm sure I'll be waffling from happy to sad every five minutes between now and November.
Yeah, manchen isn't taking too many democrat votes. If anything, if anything, it'll be trump
My sons been relating how screwed the magas are now, in lacking any response

Last edited:
President Biden has announced he will step down from the race.
All the talk of opening the election, which I don't even understand--I would have expected it to be automatically the vice president to step up.
The money from their pact sounds so vulnerable, and convoluted!

I'm just so disgusted with how the party has handled this whole thing. And fearful
I agree. I think we are screwed big time.

• Sad
Reactions: KLS52 and Brian W
I am very very excited to hear the banter between Kamala and rumpy! Couldn't say that about Biden....
I feel much better now. I bet trump is reconsidering his choice of Vance!

as prosecutor, her 'tough on crime' history rivals that of the Clinton era.
I'm not sure there is that much truth to that "misgiving".
Let me see....
I found this article which includes a lot of the things I've been hearing for years.

Also back in 2004, "tough on crime", and "Progressive" had different meaings than they do now.

Reactions: PTree15 and silva