US US Politics 2024

Can you post the link please, KL?
It's from fb so not sure if will open for everyone which is why I copied/oasted. But here it is:

Can you post the link please, KL?
You can subscribe to here newsletter here.

or if you'd rather listen to her podcast which is just her reading the newsletter....

Reactions: KLS52
You can subscribe to here newsletter here.

or if you'd rather listen to her podcast which is just her reading the newsletter....

Thanks but that wasn’t the reason why I wanted the link. It was just to make sure that as a forum we were not infringing any copyright laws.

Thanks but that wasn’t the reason why I wanted the link. It was just to make sure that as a forum we were not infringing any copyright laws.
I had forgotten about that but realized when you asked for the link. Thanks for keeping me in check. 😊

• Friendly
Reactions: shyvas
I didn’t watch the debate,but out of interest, are there any names being suggested to who could replace Biden or Trump ?

I didn’t watch the debate,but out of interest, are there any names being suggested to who could replace Biden or Trump ?
I don't think that is going to happen. From what I hear, the GOP think Trump gives them the best chance.

tho in 1860 something like that happened. It ended up being a 4 person race. Lincoln won with 40% of the vote. and a few years later we were in a civil war.

I have this foggy recollection that 4 years ago Biden said he would not run for reelection because of his age. Wish he did that.

it doesn't matter who is running - I'm Not voting for Trump. And All the Democrats I know feel the same way.

If something happens to Biden he might withdraw in favor of Harris. but I don't think she could even win an election. However if Biden wins and then something happens to him in office I bet she would not only do a great job but maybe make it easier for future women candidates.

--------------

I didn't watch the debate and I've only just started reading the reports. My big takeaway is that once we get closer to the election people will no longer support Trump. One reporter wrote in his column that he had forgotten how much he lied. And another said he forgot what a POS Trump is.

Reactions: Emma JC and Blues
@Lou It seems in your system if it’s resignations, impeachment and removal, incapacity ,or death .It still goes to the VP. I thought that if someone had the numbers they could roll the top person out,it seem not to be the case

I'm worried most about those so disgusted by the democrats that they won't even vote--and I'm completely sympathetic. It's the republican party that has gone so off the rails to the point of being fascists and nationlists, and the democrats filling their void. Dems are more fearful of their progressives gaining power and exposing their corruption then they are of another rump presidency. After all, the dems had a big part in getting us here.
This should easily be the easiest win for democrats, but we're now between a rock and a hard place
Only thing that could have made this worse would be RFK....

Just read that the New York Times, in its editorial column, has asked Biden to withdraw. That sounds quite serious to me, as the NYT is a longstanding, heavyweight and 'moderate' Democrat institution, if I understand correctly.

As more public criticism is directed at Biden, from his own camp, the more it hurts his chances of winning. Not that his chances of winning were great to start with, of course. At some point, though, it could reach a point where he simply needs to do a reality check and make the only sensible choice.

Just read that the New York Times, in its editorial column, has asked Biden to withdraw. That sounds quite serious to me, as the NYT is a longstanding, heavyweight and 'moderate' Democrat institution, if I understand correctly.

As more public criticism is directed at Biden, from his own camp, the more it hurts his chances of winning. Not that his chances of winning were great to start with, of course. At some point, though, it could reach a point where he simply needs to do a reality check and make the only sensible choice.
Yes, you're right, here's the link although it will likely be partly or entirely paywalled (I am a subscriber)

Ezra Klein wrote opinion pieces in NYT saying much the same thing months ago but this is different because it says
'Opinion:
The Editorial Board' so it's not just one person's opinion

This is a big win for Ezra Klein for saying months ago what a lot more people are saying now

But this is all still leaves the question as to what democrat would poll better against Trump - you kind of need a contest that puts 3-4 of them, perhaps including Biden, in the public eye and then see what the polls say on a head to head for each of them against Trump

Reactions: Second Summer
But this is all still leaves the question as to what democrat would poll better against Trump - you kind of need a contest that puts 3-4 of them, perhaps including Biden, in the public eye and then see what the polls say on a head to head for each of them against Trump
Yes, and to be fair, the answer could turn out to be that none of them would poll better than Biden. The Democrats have got themselves into a pickle.

Perhaps one way forward could be that they pick a really solid VP candidate with the clear understanding (for voters who pay attention) that this person really could end up taking over, and soon? I don't necessarily think Kamala Harris is the best choice.

• Agree
When you vote for a candidate, you are primary voting for their advisors, so there is no need to worry about pulling the lever for Biden.

Because if you don't, you're essentially voting for Trump, and his advisors.

• Agree
Reactions: Emma JC