What can we do to retain and engage members?

IMHO....it wasnt even a good private joke anyway. It was taking something that was possibly a 'heh' moment at the time and flogging it. :shrug:

Im up for publicising some of the chatty threads but agree we should have privacy in threads that include us posting person information like photos etc.
I have noticed a great number of 'guests' viewing threads that arent about veg*n stuff so perhaps they want to see how we are as a community. Either that or theyre just nosey so and so's

As long as we don't all post on the members area leaving the public threads empty lol. Wouldn't give a good impression.

I agree that things like the user pictures is a good one to be made members only xxx

This thread has become very long, so I'm going to make a post here to summarise a bit for future reference, plus address a few issues:
  • Problems on VB, pile-ons, cliquishness: I agree that there were definitely issues with cliquishness and pile-ons on VB. It can be hard to avoid, but I don't think it's too much of a problem around here yet. Part of it definitely has to do with the general atmosphere.
  • Meat eaters (e.g. [1], [2]): It seems there is much opposition to have meat eaters here to discuss, so I'm not going to allow that.
  • Moderation style: I prefer the hands-off mod style as much as possible, unless there is e.g. bullying going on.
  • Welcoming committee / newbie shepherds sounds like a good idea, will discuss with the mods.
  • Hot topics sounds like a good idea. I will take it to the mod forum.
  • Opening up some of the members-only discussions: Definitely something to consider. Will have to mull it over a bit.
A few of the ideas (I think by SummerRain - thanks!) I have now implemented - see the stickied threads in the intro forum.

I have to say, I myself am one of those people who like hard-hitting debates, and I consider myself fairly thick-skinned in that regard. But I must also admit that I'm only human (after all!) and developed antipathies against approximately a handful of members on VB over the years.

These days though, my time is very limited and I don't have the patience to go round after round with people on the Internet who are clearly and obviously Wrong. I now usually prefer more enlightened discussion over the typical debate, although I occasionally revert back to my sinful ways.

Reactions: Lord Snot
I think calling it 'The Shy Members Introduction Thread' might be a bit of a mistake. Shy isn't a very positive descriptor and I don't think I would want to post somewhere that self-identified me as shy, even if I was. Can't it just be 'The Introductions Thread' and say in the OP it's for people who don't want a whole thread of their own? We don't need to assign any reasons for that.

Reactions: Blobbenstein
I think calling it 'The Shy Members Introduction Thread' might be a bit of a mistake. Shy isn't a very positive descriptor and I don't think I would want to post somewhere that self-identified me as shy, even if I was. Can't it just be 'The Introductions Thread' and say in the OP it's for people who don't want a whole thread of their own? We don't need to assign any reasons for that.

This is also my opinon. Nowadays if you're not outgoing and assertive, you are easily put aside by others.

Done!

Reactions: SummerRain