What can we do to retain and engage members?

Don't worry they don't put cheese in them or anything...! People often ask if tampons are vegan if the company test on animals, if there are alternatives, if the tampons are test on animals themselves, and if there are companies that make tampons that aren't tested on animals... so that's what I meant. :D
Yeah usually people end up recommending mooncup...barf.

(gah, was trying to multi-quote reply but taking too much trial and error time, so will need to learn how later.)

just wanted to say that i was happy to see all the positive reasons for keeping the "like" capability, with which i agree.
and to clarify, i 'm not anti-like at all...i was just putting myself in both my most unsure and most confident sides/personas/shoes to point out the possibility of this one thing being a reason for not retaining and/or engaging members.

on a personal note, i enjoy giving and getting likes just like everyone else. :starshower:

and as others have said, this is the friendliest board i've ever posted on and i love the ongoing dialogue here to make improvements/changes to keep it so.

Yes...our frank and open conversations draws them in. :yes:

Actually...there's another vegan forum that I visit and this is one of the reasons why. They are very open and honest about certain taboo topics. I find it relaxing to go there and be able to talk about potentially embarassing subjects and things in general that aren't usually talked about in public.

Reactions: CrazyCatLady
Actually...there's another vegan forum that I visit and this is one of the reasons why. They are very open and honest about certain taboo topics. I find it relaxing to go there and be able to talk about potentially embarassing subjects and things in general that aren't usually talked about in public.

I'm intrigued...Tell me more, please!

^Agreed. I'll avoid mentioning the other board as well. I don't mind jokes but some people will feel confused and left out.

Maybe someone can take on the task of explaining the joke in fine detail every time there is a joke with VB references? That could add a whole new dimension to the humour .... :weird:

I think something that might not be helping to attract new members are the "members only" areas that are hidden to guests. The casual observer could run across VV in a search, read the relevant thread(s) then go on their way, not realizing that there is more community here than they can see. I'm not sure how to rectify that while still maintaining the level of comfort that there is in having the "members only" areas. I do REALLY like that the random chat thread, etc, isn't visible for all of creation to see, and I think there is enormous value in having the specific health threads by approval only.
I haven't logged out lately, so I'm no longer certain which sections are visible to non-members.

I've been thinking about this, and I agree with RabbitLuvr that it would help us attract new members if they could see the social side of VV. Can we not have The Lounge split into two, with more personal threads like The User Picture Thread and The Coffee House in a private sub-forum, but threads like Post Something Cool from the Internet in a public one?

Reactions: Second Summer
I've been thinking about this, and I agree with RabbitLuvr that it would help us attract new members if they could see the social side of VV. Can we not have The Lounge split into two, with more personal threads like The User Picture Thread and The Coffee House in a private sub-forum, but threads like Post Something Cool from the Internet in a public one?

Maybe like a public Lounge, and a Members Only Club?