What did you cook or Bake today? (2018)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pasta salad (tri-color rotini, broccoli, black olives, Zima tomatoes, red onion, red bell pepper) with homemade Italian dressing & my walnut-parm....

PastaSalad.JPG

Reactions: Katrina
I made brown rice in the slow-cooker again last weekend- but this time, without pre-heating the water. It cooked just as well, and maybe a little faster. I wrote down how long I cooked it.

Reactions: Val
I cooked kale and garlic in the Instant Pot, then topped with lots of nooch and rice vinegar
Dry fryed super-firm tofu in a ceramic pan with some watered down Braggs.

I've used cinnamon for savoury dishes, but you can't tell that it's there. It just enhances the other spices (I'm guessing). Homemade jerk sauce uses cinnamon along with thyme, cayenne, nutmeg, ginger, garlic, and something else (allspice?). Then there's the coconut rice that I cook with a cinnamon stick in the pot. Yum!

Today I made fruit salad. Yeah, that's not really cooking, but it still took a long time to make it. And now I am prepping ingredients for our camping trip.

My pizzas look good, smell fantastic, but I can't upload an image. It's not VV... PC usually goes right to what I need to do once I plug in my cam, but I guess one or the other is grumpy tonight, nothing's happening. This occurred once before, everything was fine the next day. So, until tomorrow.... :p

I don't think garam masala is very spicy. Hmm, different tastes. Ah, the difference is that curry powder is based on turmeric and garam masala has a sweeter taste when compared to curry powders and usually includes cinnamon, nutmeg, and cardamom.

I have set up a fruit and veg organic box to be delivered once a week so I am going to try and use up the fruit and veg I have before it is delivered.

I have lots of tomatoes, sweet gem lettuce, avocado and a couple of potatoes. I think I will just make potato salad with vegan mayo and just have a big salad. I have some frozen sweetcorn that can go in the salad too.

I have a pink grapefruit and three satsumas that I will juice.

Not cooking really.:p

Reactions: Katrina and Val
I don't think garam masala is very spicy. Hmm, different tastes.
Hmm, it happened to me that garam masala and especially chat masala, which i'd used to buy, had a tendency to efflorescence.:) They'd been delivered directly from India, and were of a good quality. At first they were extremely spicey and i almost couldn't feel the whole bouquet, but i didn't close their lids, and they became less spicey and even more deliscious :lick:.

I've bought garam masala that was hot, then another that was milk and had wayyyy too much cinnamon for my liking:rolleyes:
Like chai tea- I dislike tasting the cinnamon much

I have a new seitan recipe in the Instant Pot now-
Chickwheat! Chickwheat Shreds
I made some berbere spice blend too

The chickwheat came out great :)
This calls for machine kneading until a taffy like consistency. I used the dough hook in my Kitchenaide stand mixer for almost 15 min:eek:! After it steams and cools down it does shred very well. I missed that! Never missed meat, but I missed that texture!

The chickwheat came out great :)
This calls for machine kneading until a taffy like consistency. I used the dough hook in my Kitchenaide stand mixer for almost 15 min:eek:! After it steams and cools down it does shred very well. I missed that! Never missed meat, but I missed that texture!
Recipe?

Last night I tried a new Greek salad recipe, and wow is it ever delicious. The dressing uses olive oil, umeboshi vinegar, garlic, dried basil, and chopped parsley. Then the salad has a bunch of veggies — no lettuce! I never really liked that creamy dressing that goes with it from the store. This one tastes so fresh! I just had to set some aside just for me before adding the black olives, since I hate those.

I made a big batch of oven-baked dip.... Roasted (frozen) artichoke hearts, a bulb of roasted garlic, tofu, evoo, my walnut-parm, the last of my roasted orange pepper-cheese sauce, a little Just Mayo, a slice of Daiya, emptied the carton of baby spinach, threw in a bunch of baby kale as well... herbs & spices, processed it all & dumped it in a baking dish. :D

Roasted Artichokes & Garlic.JPG

Dip In Progress.JPG

Dip Completed.JPG

And I've just turned my leftover lentil-quinoa mix (that I used for veggie burgers) into taco filling for tonight.... :up:

Last edited:
Last night I tried a new Greek salad recipe, and wow is it ever delicious. The dressing uses olive oil, umeboshi vinegar, garlic, dried basil, and chopped parsley. Then the salad has a bunch of veggies — no lettuce! I never really liked that creamy dressing that goes with it from the store. This one tastes so fresh! I just had to set some aside just for me before adding the black olives, since I hate those.
Hahaha, i hate olives too!:D

Reactions: Katrina
I love, love olives and would eat them all day long if I could. :p
Yay!:yes: My mom adores them as well. I guess, there are 2 types of people: olive luvrs and olive haters. And both feelings appear for no reason. E.g. i'm a real cabbage and sauerkraut maniac, though others hate it as usual.:D

I like olives, but I don't like sauerkraut. I like cabbage and kimchi.

I keep meaning to buy some Korean red pepper paste (Gochujang) to try.

I'm going to make pan fried tofu with potato salad, grilled corn on the cobs with lime and some coleslaw today.

Yay!:yes: My mom adores them as well. I guess, there are 2 types of people: olive luvrs and olive haters. And both feelings appear for no reason. E.g. i'm a real cabbage and sauerkraut maniac, though others hate it as usual.:D
That should be a thread! A playful "Love it or hate it?" kinda thing... regarding stuff like olives, cilantro, mayo, etc.... :p

Status
Not open for further replies.