Nutrition & Diet What supplements do you take?

Also, I thought I read somewhere that it's best to lay off the daily vitamins for about a week every couple of months. Is there any truth to that?

I'm not sure of the reasoning behind that, but I can't think of a reason to do it. I take a Seven Seas Vegetarian Multivitamin and echinacea, along with my usual medication. I used to take a B-Complex one too, but can't afford it just now. I feel worse for cutting it out though.

veg1
multivitamin
B-pills
Zinc
Lysine Amino-acid pill(1gram)

I have to take metformin anyway, so it's easy to bung the rest in the dosset box, except veg1 which has to be chewed or otherwise disintegrated before swallowing.

I was taking a calcium pill, but the Vegan for Life book says not to take calcium with food as it interferes with the absorption of iron....so I forget to take that at other times, plus I am wary of taking pills without food, as I went through a lot of stomach problems, when I used to do that, before I realised the importance of taking pills with food.

I'm not sure of the reasoning behind that, but I can't think of a reason to do it. I take a Seven Seas Vegetarian Multivitamin and echinacea, along with my usual medication. I used to take a B-Complex one too, but can't afford it just now. I feel worse for cutting it out though.
Echinacea works better if you go on and off it, for some reason. I've seen 2 weeks on, 2 weeks off recommended. I take it if I feel I was exposed to someone sick or just coming down with something, for a few days.

ETA: I looked it up. :) http://www.askdrsears.com/topics/childhood-illnesses/echinacea

There are two ways to take Echinacea:

PREVENTION – to prevent recurrent illnesses, especially during the winter season, take the following doses daily. 8 WEEKS ON, AND 2 WEEKS OFF: Adults and teenagers –1000 mg once a day Children 4 to 12 – 500 mg once a day Children 6 months to 3 years – 250 mg once a day Note: if using the children’s drops, just give the recommended number of drops once a day. Some researchers feel that periodically stopping Echinacea helps it stay effective during use. CONTINUOUS USE: There is also research that shows there is NO NEED to periodically go off Echinacea to keep it effective. You can decide.

2 WEEKS ON AND 2 WEEKS OFF: Some research has shown this schedule is also effective and may be preferable to the 8 weeks schedule above. Try either one and see which works best for you. TREATMENT – at the first sign of any illness, begin taking the following doses: Adults and teenagers –2000 mg 3 times a day for 2 days, then 1000 mg 3 times a day for 7 more days.

Evidently, your body becomes immune over time and the supplements lose their effectiveness. The week-long break remedies that.

Interesting. I haven't heard of that, at least in regards to vitamins. I have heard of that happening with hair care products like shampoo and conditioner. :DApparently your hair will get too used to a certain brand after a long period of time and not work as well so it's good to mix it up every now and then.

Evidently, your body becomes immune over time and the supplements lose their effectiveness. The week-long break remedies that.

Good, because for the past year I have done this completely by accident due to my useless memory haha!

I take Holland & Barrett Vegan multivitamin and minerals,which seems to include everything other than the omega oils so I take an omega 3, 6 and 9 tablet (all in one) once a day.

I take veg1, mostly because I want to take a chewable vegan B12 and this was the closest thing I could easily find. Since it only has a few vitamins that vegans are likely to be low in specifically, I think it is probably a good thing anyway, maybe, who knows. I err on the side of caution and try to avoid taking vitamins I don't need, I eat a healthy balanced diet. I'm not really sure if it's better to take veg1, or find a chewable vegan b12 only.

Multivitamins and vitamins are really confusing, it seems that it's just assumed by most people they are good things to take, because they have vitamins we need in them. I really wish I understood medicine, because it's confusing, because going to your GP just for a chat about vitamins feels like wasting their time, and there's so much information available and so little of it trustworthy...

I just read these articles which I found interesting, and are making me think maybe I should just find a b12 only vitamin : http://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/index.php/should-i-take-a-multivitamin/ and http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/dietandnutrition/feature/vitamins.htm

^ I don't think there is any evidence that any of the specific vitamins or minerals in Veg1 is a problem. You certainly want B12 and D2 if you're vegan, and they both have been demonstrated to "work" in pill form. It also has iodine and selenium which I understand can be low in typical vegan diets.

Sublingual b12 (I have absorption issues and the sublinguals work so much better)

Floravital (liquid iron supplement) which I generally only need when my colitis is acting up

D3 drops. Yeah, not vegan but I am deficient (and was frighteningly so during my pregnancy as the little mr sucked all the vit d out of me!). I struggled with d2 tablets for a long time, finally gave in and got a high dose liquid d3 that worked wonders. If I can ever find a high dose liquid d2 that doesn't cost an arm and a leg, I will gladly switch. Strangely enough I live in Florida and get lots of sun and yet struggle with this one. Don't assume that just because you get the required sunlight that your vit d levels are adequate (though my problems with it may be related to my colitis).

I'm almost out of multivitamins, so I ordered the Deva ones from Amazon today. I am also switching to the Deva D2, as it costs a bit less yet has a higher dosage than the VegLife D2.

I've been taking 2000IU per day of D3 for over two years now and as of my latest blood work it's only raised my level from 18 to 33 ng/ml. I guess I will have to up my dosage to get into the optimal range. Ideally I would like to see it over 50 ng/ml. Vitamin D is apparently some tricky ****! You can't just take it for a while and replenish your supply... it requires a long-term high dosage to correct the deficiency and then you have to keep taking that amount to maintain that level.

That's a long time, Digger. Can you get any midday sun? My levels were low a few years ago with resulting crushing depression. I had used sunscreen for years (dad had had a melanoma) and was proud of my pallor and unwrinkliness. I live in Florida and am naturally pale, so it worked for me to get my D level up by eating lunch with arms and legs in the sun. :)

Just a vegan multivitamin that doesn't go insane with the b12. Seriously, who needs so much b12 that your urine turns neon yellow!?

That's a long time, Digger. Can you get any midday sun?
I live in the northeast so sunlight is not a year-round solution. Also, since I've had renal cell carcinoma (kidney cancer) for which low vitamin D status is implicated, I'm determined to get my level into the optimal range. I've upped my dosage to 5000IU per day and will get retested in three months. If it's still being stubborn after that my doc says we'll get more aggressive, but for now OTC supplements are the most cost-effective option for me, and they have at least gotten me out of the deficient range.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11071463

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19523595?dopt=Citation

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20213683