What's in your Garden (& Indoor Plants)

This is interesting 🤔.its a tomato plant that grows in winter in a hot house . I was very sceptical 🧐 but gave it a go , it seems to be growing good 😊 so we planted another one

Attachments

• IMG_0406.jpeg
    IMG_0406.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 10
  • IMG_0408.jpeg
    IMG_0408.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 11
This is interesting 🤔.its a tomato plant that grows in winter in a hot house . I was very sceptical 🧐 but gave it a go , it seems to be growing good 😊 so we planted another one
Nice!

Reactions: Blues
My mom is not giving up! She has put together a barricade along the railing to keep the groundhogs off. That, and the netting, has thwarted them since. Fingers crossed that we get enough basil to make our pesto. :)
I hope it works!! 🤞🏻

• Love
Reactions: PTree15
@Blues Depending on the variety, at least some tomatoes are perennial and you might be able to keep them on for more than one season. I tried that last year with a tomato plant I found being thrown out in the yard waste, but it died this spring when I planted it outside. It had hung on, but hadn't really grown at all.

It looks like I've successfully cloned my Yew bush again. Another low-growing branch in contact with the ground had struck root, and about a month ago I cut it free and planted it near my house's foundation. I think it's going to make it- and if the two of them look like they shouldn't be near the foundation (they're about 1 meter away from it, and don't get large- they're shrubs, not full-size trees) I can still move them.

I decided to move one of the squash plants I mentioned. It wilted, but I've been keeping it well-watered and a bit shaded on hot sunny days: I pruned my yew bush and place a branch over it when it's REALLY hot and sunny. Don't know it it will make it yet. The 4 bush black beans I sowed in planters with the chilies are doing well. They have a short growing season, and I might plant a few more in the ground, a short way from the squash- but I can't figure out why the first ones had such poor germination while the ones on the planters came up just fine?....

@tom
That’s interesting about the perineal tomato plants .
I have never grown one ,but will give it go.
We are having a very mild winter with about 6 frosts so far but the tomato plants ,well all two of them are holding up well.

Reactions: Chryssie and KLS52
@Blues I almost forgot you're in the Southern hemisphere. Here's hoping your tomato plants do well. You could try keeping them going until your next spring/summer, maybe planting them outside, and then bringing them back inside next April or so- maybe earlier.

Reactions: Blues
I saw those, for the first time, in the supermarket last year and had to try them. They were ok. I think I expected more but they tasted like your average grape. I wouldn't buy them again as they were expensive.

• Informative
  • Agree
Reactions: PTree15 and silva
@KLS52 That’s interesting KLS52 they are supposed to be sweet
I guess, maybe like regular grapes, you can get a not a not so good batch...sometimes I try to taste one grape before I buy them but I feel weird doing that, so there are times I just take my chances and hope for the best.

I saw those, for the first time, in the supermarket last year and had to try them. They were ok. I think I expected more but they tasted like your average grape. I wouldn't buy them again as they were expensive.
@KLS52 That’s interesting KLS52 they are supposed to be sweet
I also tried them and found them to be like any other grape, no sweeter, no better texture
I've tried the ones called cotton candy and disliked their sweetness

• Informative
Reactions: Blues and KLS52
I also tried them and found them to be like any other grape, no sweeter, no better texture
I've tried the ones called cotton candy and disliked their sweetness
I haven't tried the cotton candy ones...sounds like they might be right up my alley lol.

I guess, maybe like regular grapes, you can get a not a not so good batch...sometimes I try to taste one grape before I buy them but I feel weird doing that, so there are times I just take my chances and hope for the best.
At the local supermarket I always try before I buy,they normally have three different colours.
I asked the shop assistant if it was o/k to try . She said everyone else does.😀

Reactions: PTree15 and KLS52
At the local supermarket I always try before I buy,they normally have three different colours.
I asked the shop assistant if it was o/k to try . She said everyone else does.😀
That's good to know. I figured it should be ok especially with how expensive fruit is! I just spent $7 on a personal size watermelon...it was awful! I got brave and returned it. It was visibly bad...very light in color and it was bitter. They had no issue with taking it back.

The Kabocha squash plants are growing vigorously (as I've found squash usually does). They appear to be a bush variety- they're staying rather compact instead of crawling or climbing around. I planted a few black bush beans in with my mild chili peppers in planters (in addition to the ones I planted in the ground with the squash); they're growing, but will probably have made their beans and died (I'm pretty sure they're annuals) by the time I'm ready to bring the two planters back in. With the hot weather, I've had to stay on my toes keeping the planters watered, but so far so good.

Huh- the squash plants have been kind of wilted, although I've been watering them. It HAS been extremely hot lately in my area. I hope squash borers aren't attacking them. I mean, I get it: the squash borers are safe from birds, mantises, and other things that might want to eat them when they're inside the squash plant stem- but they can wind up killing the whole plant instead of just munching on it a bit. The plants are hanging in there and getting ready to bloom, so maybe they'll do okay. The beans and chilies are doing well.

• Friendly
Reactions: PTree15 and Emma JC
Well we are just about to eat a :winter tomato 🍅:
They are growing well , the glasshouse is slightly shaded by a tree and with winter in full swing here on cloudy ,rainy days it causes moisture buildup which the plant doesn’t like .
But once the sun comes out all is well.

Attachments

• IMG_0515.jpeg
    IMG_0515.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 7
Last edited:
I didn't plant that many beans- but the ones I planted are growing well. I'm going to let them ripen completely so I can plant them next year.

The Kabocha squash is setting fruit and they're growing- but I planted them about a month late. They're not nearly ripe yet, but I'm sure they will be before the first frost.

My flower garden has been sorely neglected. I just could not seem to get interested in it this year. I did minimal work at the beginning of the season and then lost all ambition. I am duly ashamed. 😞