OSes Windows 10: Free upgrade for Win 7 & 8 users

Win 7 seems pretty stable to me. Yea Linux maybe. I had a bad experience with a Mac back in 1987. Never again.

What you reported happening to Windows 10 users could happen to Windows 7 users at any given time, and it has happened. It partly has to do with shear amount of hardware in the wild and the fragile nature of the Windows registry. If you use a version of Windows that gets updates there's no exemption from it happening, though it may never happen to you. Or it could happen to you tomorrow. It's been the same deal since at least 95. The Windows registry is a mess, the concept is pure garbage and in some cases it's a ticking time bomb. That's not even getting into the terrible management of the file system, or I should say lack there of, in which using Disk Fragmenter on platter drives is just a band-aid for.

Quick question ...

I have a Windows 8 Tablet lying around at home unused, a Samsung ATIV Pro 700T, not really a bad device, 4 GB ram and a 128 GB SSD HD, but fouled up by the Windows 8.1 upgrade, as most of the drivers did not work any more and I simply lost patience with it at some point in time.

I found windows 8 not very usable without a mouse (right-click requirements) and was just wondering if Windows 10 might be better in that respect?

Best regards,
Andy

Quick question ...

I have a Windows 8 Tablet lying around at home unused, a Samsung ATIV Pro 700T, not really a bad device, 4 GB ram and a 128 GB SSD HD, but fouled up by the Windows 8.1 upgrade, as most of the drivers did not work any more and I simply lost patience with it at some point in time.

I found windows 8 not very usable without a mouse (right-click requirements) and was just wondering if Windows 10 might be better in that respect?

Best regards,
Andy

I know the upgrade from 8 to 8.1 was bumpy for some people, and I imagine the upgrade from 8.1 to 10 isn't the best transition for some people either. It's the nature of upgrading Windows and not having a clean slate, it's that pesky Windows registry again. There's certainly no promise of Windows 10 being any better on that device.

I've not used a Windows tablet myself but from what I've read right clicks are a bit of a pain. Something like touch and hold? I would think the easiest solution for that is Bluetooth or wireless USB peripherals.

So, I upgraded this weekend after my wife and son got their invites and dutifully clicked "upgrade me" like good consumers.:p

My primary motivation is to create a home network. I tried it with Win 7, but it didn't play nice with Win 8, so I'm hoping now that we're all on the same platform, that will be easier.

It's nice that I can remove the metro apps, but there doesn't seem to be a way to reduce the start menu width, so it just leaves this blank gray space were the metro apps were. I think I'll get classic shell or Start 10....

The default email and calendar apps are ugly. Much like many of the Win 10 apps...Whitewashed open space... Ugh. (and don't even get me started on the icons.) Maybe it's my bad eyes, or maybe my old school ways, but I prefer sharp solid lines and borders. Sure, some of the apps have hair-thin light grey borders and lines, but from my perspective they might as well not be there if I have to struggle to see them.

Thank goodness we can still use third party programs. If MS wants to be a one stop shop for apps, they've got to get away from this metro look.

So, I upgraded this weekend after my wife and son got their invites and dutifully clicked "upgrade me" like good consumers.:p

My primary motivation is to create a home network. I tried it with Win 7, but it didn't play nice with Win 8, so I'm hoping now that we're all on the same platform, that will be easier.

It's nice that I can remove the metro apps, but there doesn't seem to be a way to reduce the start menu width, so it just leaves this blank gray space were the metro apps were. I think I'll get classic shell or Start 10....

The default email and calendar apps are ugly. Much like many of the Win 10 apps...Whitewashed open space... Ugh. (and don't even get me started on the icons.) Maybe it's my bad eyes, or maybe my old school ways, but I prefer sharp solid lines and borders. Sure, some of the apps have hair-thin light grey borders and lines, but from my perspective they might as well not be there if I have to struggle to see them.

Thank goodness we can still use third party programs. If MS wants to be a one stop shop for apps, they've got to get away from this metro look.

You can drag from the right edge to make the menu smaller... I honestly don't mess with many apps from the Windows store, and especially not apps developed by Microsoft themselves. I don't think Microsoft does very well with general purpose apps, and they never have. The worst part about their stuff is how many security flaws rear their ugly heads. Internet Explorer, and Outlook both have had the Department of Homeland Security post warnings about using them more than a few times. But in terms of general aesthetics what Microsoft is doing is they're following Apple's lead. The latest version of OS X is pretty texturally flat much to the dismay of a good chunk of people in their user base. It's only natural for everyone to follow suit with what Apple is up to in GUI design.

Actually taking another look at it bean, the horizontal resizing snaps to a grid... It doesn't look like it's working, but if you keep dragging it does.

Actually taking another look at it bean, the horizontal resizing snaps to a grid... It doesn't look like it's working, but if you keep dragging it does.

OK, I'll give it another try.

Another thing that annoys me is that you can't uninstall the Windows native apps (Just like a phone with pre-installed apps) - heck you can't even remove the native app icons from the start menu.

I only use the start menu to open infrequently used apps (ones that aren't worth attaching to the task bar), but I hate having to scroll through endless junk to get to them.

You should be able to unpin anything from Start... Or at least *I* can, but again I am an Insider, so I got Windows 10 Pro

I keep getting the pop up box for the upgrade...I'm so scared! My computer is two years old and I went with the option of windows 7 since it's what I have on my work computer and the Windows 8 debacle terrified me. There's a part of me that just wants to "go for it". But I'm afraid I will never be able to use my desktop again! [emoji30]

My computer is older than that... I think close to 4 years old and the upgrade has been fine. I know how you feel though as I really HATE reinstalling an OS. This is pretty easy though and all your stuff is still there unlike a total reinstall.

Reactions: KLS52
I agree with Chryssie,

My PC is around 4 years old too. When I installed Win 10, it took about 2 hours, but the process was smooth and uneventful.

I had to force Win 10 to load because I didn't get the invite. I suspect for those with the invite, the installation time will be less.

I keep getting the pop up box for the upgrade...I'm so scared! My computer is two years old and I went with the option of windows 7 since it's what I have on my work computer and the Windows 8 debacle terrified me. There's a part of me that just wants to "go for it". But I'm afraid I will never be able to use my desktop again! [emoji30]

My computer is older than that... I think close to 4 years old and the upgrade has been fine. I know how you feel though as I really HATE reinstalling an OS. This is pretty easy though and all your stuff is still there unlike a total reinstall.

Ok, I think I'm going to do it this weekend!

I did it. Worst decision of my life. I'm going die. [emoji30][emoji24][emoji30][emoji24]

You'll get used to it. Microsoft isn't giving you much choice at this point. They're ending support and security updates on everything else to show they're serious about everyone moving to Windows 10.

If you're using a laptop it may be defaulting to Tablet Mode. In the system tray to the right click on the icon that looks like a chat bubble and you can toggle Tablet Mode off from right there.

You'll get used to it. Microsoft isn't giving you much choice at this point. They're ending support and security updates on everything else to show they're serious about everyone moving to Windows 10.

I had read that MS would continue support for Win 7 for another 5-years. Is this not so?

I got the invite, but so far, have elected not to go for it.