Physical Exercise Yoga for dummies

Mikkel

Forum Legend
Reaction score
Anyone doing yoga here?

I have started a bit with yoga, as I think it can help a bit on how stiff my body is, and my cronic muscle tensions (everyone that touches my muscles in my back, neck and shoulders react... ). When I've done the small things I tried on, it feels like it's getting a bit better. :)

So I wonder if anyone had some tips. I've been looking at some YouTube videos, and getting some ideas for programs to put together. I have still bad balance after my strokes, so I can't stand in strange postures on one leg. And I'm not strong at all.

But can I just take a bunch of different exercises and put them toghether? Or is there some program I do have to do? Or things in a certain order? Do I need to warm up first? Anything to think of?

Do you have any good sites or videos to recomend for me?

I would recommend attending a beginner class. Back in the day there was something called Oslo Yoga School or something to that effect. They were really good.

But can I just take a bunch of different exercises and put them together?

I think the idea of a Yoga routine is that the exercises have to be systemic and balanced Dormouse.

Have you considered joining, just watching even, a local yoga class and just adopting a routine from them?

Thanks. :)

Problem with classes, is my balance and that I'm so stiff that's embarrising. :p So I would love to be a bit better balance. And perhaps could sit up straight with my legs in front of me and not need to bend my knees after a short while. :p So I thought to start a bit at home at least. Maybe it's just streching my body here and there in the beginning, and then I can go to class a bit later. :)

I've watched some routines at YT, but they have excercises in them that I can't do at all. So that's why I thought I perhaps just could find some. :p

Took a look at Oslo Yoga's website, and they had workshops over just one evenings. :) I though all classes was like going once a week, and then I can't go on half of the classes. And they wasn't that expencive either. :) Money is a bit issue thiese days, when Noomi cost so much....

Reactions: ledboots
"Yoga with Adriene" on YouTube is wonderful! She goes slowly, has beginner lessons, and has a great sense of humor. She also has a series called "Foundations of Yoga" which shows how to get into and out of each pose, with variations for beginners.

I second Poppy's recommendation of Yoga With Adrienne. I watched some of her videos before going to my first yoga class. I was, like you, intimidated, and afraid I wouldn't be able to follow along.

After you get the hang of it at home, you can also contact the studio and ask which class would be most appropriate for your skill level. There are a wide variety of classes and all types of people who do yoga.

I'm surprised what you say about the workshops. Maybe you were looking at an incomplete schedule. I realize you're in a different country, but here in the US there is a weekly schedule of 60-90 minute classes, and you can drop in to classes as you like and pay for them individually or get a pass for a certain umber of classes.

Thanks. I'll check out those videos! :)

They have all kind of different classes. Example a workshop with yoga for better sleep, for stress and even one about breathing, some that is in weekends (one introduction class example, but it was on my work week), and other classes that last 5-12 weeks (and not possible to just go to drop in). So I guess it's different from place to place.