Physical Exercise Yoga

yally

Forum Legend
Reaction score
I wanted to start a yoga thread so I did! Let's talk yoga!

What sort of yoga do you prefer?

How long have you been practicing?

Do you prefer classes or home practice?

Can you recommend any DVDs?

Which poses do you love?

Which poses are you trying to reach?

Etc! Etc!

I would like to start some sort of yoga but have no idea where to begin. Does anyone know of any good DVDs that I could order? :)

(Sorry to derail the thread a bit!)

What do you do yally?

I've done classes in the past but can't afford them at the moment. I really like these DVDs though:

DK 15 Minute Gentle Yoga - Ive raved about these elsewhere but i really do love how neutral and straightforward they are. http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1405326573/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?qid=1368469781&sr=8-2&pi=SL75

Shiva Rea's Beginners Yoga - VERY hippy Californian but I really enjoy the flow. I feel I get a real stretch from this one and focus more on the breath. I also have her daily energy DVD but it's far too difficult for me at the moment.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B0015FNF0G/ref=mw_dp_sim_ps2?pi=SL500_SY125

I'd really like to do some now but I feel all tight and gross, my head is blocked and my belly is bloated.

I wish I could see my downward dog properly, I know I'm not doing it quite right but I can't see it well enough to adjust.

Thanks yally! I will have a little look at those DVDs.

I used to take classes years ago too & loved it.

Started hacking up my lungs during shavasana this morning. Mmmm...relaxing! :p

i can't get to gym for my yoga anymore but order two dvd's and can't wait for them to arrive. I want to tackle a 30 day challenge when they arrive and do it from home.

i can't get to gym for my yoga anymore but order two dvd's and can't wait for them to arrive. I want to tackle a 30 day challenge when they arrive and do it from home.

What is that? 30 days of yoga everyday?

I'll do that with you! :)

ETA: which DVDs did you order?

jip its 30 days of yoga every day.. it would be awesome if you could join me for support, we could post or progress everyday. I need it to deal with stress in my life at the moment.

:pickle:
got power yoga by susan fulton and
Shiva Rea - Daily Energy - Vinyasa Flow Yoga

Yay! Just let me know when you're ready to start! :)

I really like Shiva Rea!

She's great, that DVD is particularly good because you can build your own sequences. I find a few of them a bit too challenging for me right now but the Earth one is really good. I think you've got a lot more experience behind you than I do so you should be able to find it a lot more doable! :D

I like how she keeps you moving so you stay in an asana for quite a long time but you'll be moving your arms or legs around with the breath which is a really satisfying feeling (you have a sense of 'energy' flow). It feels less about trying not to fall over and a lot more dynamic :)

:rofl:

i am super weak in my upper body and arms... plank and my poor arms burns...

But its a journey so will not judge myself... just enjoy the progress..

can't wait for us all to start.

i also use to dance tiny bit of ballet, modern dancing and hip hop. so love the movement of yoga..

You guys are awesome! A backbend for me is just now is opening my chest so I'm not hunched forward! ;)

I have reasonable strength and co ordination from running and some dance classes but I really need to also work on my upper body and core strength. I also have ZERO flexibility.

I love how quickly things can change though, your body adapts so quickly! :D

Reactions: ledboots