Breakfast?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I slept in this morning, which felt terrific. I'm just stirring my steel cut oatmeal, as I read the forum on my Macbook. Mmm, steel cut oatmeal, fresh berries, hemp hearts, and some maple syrup for a refreshing change. Not that I need the sugar rush :D

Rather large breakfast this morning. I didn't eat lunch until 3pm...

Toast with Vegemite, tomato slices and lettuce, plus tofu scramble, plus oats (as flour) with dates (heated to soften) and blueberries as a shake.

Reactions: Forest Nymph
I had my usual oatmeal, with the last of my fresh berries, and an over-ripe banana as my sweetener. Oh, and a couple tablespoons of ground flax on top.

Does anyone else eat their oats raw? I have no issues digesting them (rolled oats).

Other than weekends, when we have steel cut oats, I have around a half a cup of rolled oats, with my fruit and toppings every day. It is partially raw as I put the oats in a bowl and then pour the boiled and still warm water from the kettle (coffee) on top and let them sit for 1/2 an hour or so before adding the rest. So sorta like overnight oats but without the fridge.

Emma JC

EDIT: Please do not do what I suggested above as since I posted it (due to some issues I had) I researched and discovered that it is not good to eat raw-ish oats. Overnight rolled oats that soak for 5-8 hours are fine, as are rolled oats that are cooked or at least sit in boiling water for a while. Putting a little lukewarm water on them for 1/2 an hour and then eating them is not a good idea. I have been doing this for a couple of months and I will not do it any more! My apologies for suggesting it.

Last edited:
I had a tofu scramble this morning with some leftover pimavera sauce on it. I made some hash brown potaoes with onions to go with it...and some toast. Wow, it was delicious. I am a bit over-stuffed though. I made a bit too much and ate it all...my bad!

Other than weekends, when we have steel cut oats, I have around a half a cup of rolled oats, with my fruit and toppings every day. It is partially raw as I put the oats in a bowl and then pour the boiled and still warm water from the kettle (coffee) on top and let them sit for 1/2 an hour or so before adding the rest. So sorta like overnight oats but without the fridge.

Emma JC

EDIT: Please do not do what I suggested above as since I posted it (due to some issues I had) I researched and discovered that it is not good to eat raw-ish oats. Overnight rolled oats that soak for 5-8 hours are fine, as are rolled oats that are cooked or at least sit in boiling water for a while. Putting a little lukewarm water on them for 1/2 an hour and then eating them is not a good idea. I have been doing this for a couple of months and I will not do it any more! My apologies for suggesting it.

Why do you alternate rolled with steel cut oats? No judgement just curious. Is it for variety? Health? Partner battle on which type of oats tastes better?

I like rolled oats because they're softer and quicker to cook. I do my peanut butter and hemp milk thing when I'm going to school because it's quick before class. Sometimes add maple syrup if I have it or sub soy milk. I tried refrigerator oats once and they were so cold and gross (I live in a foggy temperate area and have no need for cold breakfast now that I'm home and away from the hell heat).

Why do you alternate rolled with steel cut oats? No judgement just curious.

I can't answer for Emma JC, but I can tell you why I do it. It wouldn't bother me one bit to have steel cut every day, but let's face it, variety is nice. Hot cereal is nice. I love steel cut oatmeal, but it does take a bit longer to cook, which is why I cook a few portions at a time, usually. I also do overnight oats, but because it's convenient. I always add a bit of fruit and coconut yogurt to mine, which steps it up a bit, in my opinion.

The truth is I don't like making a huge fuss over breakfast most days. It really depends on the morning. This morning was a worthwhile exception. If I'm in a hurry though, a peanut butter and banana sandwich will do the trick. Heck, I've even been known to eat last night's dinner leftovers for breakfast. I sort of did this morning, only I incorporated it into more of a breakfast item.

I fondly remember my mom making either Red River, Cream of Wheat, or good old traditional Quaker Oats for us kids before school, especially during the cold winter months.

I threw the breakfast rules out the window a long time ago, but cereal is a must for me most days.

Potato and tofu scramble sandwiches with my homemade mustard, ketchup and lettuce.

Reactions: hopeful
I had some orange juice to tide me over, because I am really hoping to hold out for some accidentally vegan apple crumb pie I saw at the grocery store this morning. I'm really hungry now, though, and it will be at least 45 minutes--if not more--before I can dig in. I might have a snack. I really want a piece of that pie though. I haven't had pie in ages.

Why do you alternate rolled with steel cut oats?

I actually prefer steel cut oats as they have body and texture and because I cook them on the weekend it doesn't matter how long they take. I was doing the rolled oats, during the week, just because it was quicker and easier and just for one, as my honey doesn't eat before he leaves in the morning.

I will go back to my berries and bananas with a side of pita/peanut butter and leave the rolled oats for making oat flour or other recipes which cooks them.

Emma JC

This morning I am doing the lazy man's pancakes.

It is Lemon Berry Pancake Berry Bars - so simple and quick, no standing at the stove flipping for ages.

pancakebars.jpg

And here is the recipe - click.

Because I made hummus last night I saved the aquafaba and used it instead of a flax/chia egg. I buy the President's Choice applesauce that comes in 1/2 cup portions so don't have to open a jar everytime.

Also having a side of 'facon' which is smoky tempeh (Lightlife).

Emma JC

I am making some steel cut oatmeal this morning. I found a heap of fresh blueberries yesterday on sale, so I left a couple lbs thaw and froze the rest. Blueberries and banana topping for my oatmeal this morning :)

Reactions: Emma JC
I had left-over Amy's no-cheese pizza and leftover apple crumb pie.

Malted barley* with my coffee, added tahini/date milk.

Nixtamalized brown rice, tofu scramble, purple cabbage, lettuce, nutritional yeast, salt, a few drops of sesame seed oil.

*Not extracted malt that is sold commercially. Basically just 3 day barley sprouts where I stopped the germination process through light cooking and air drying, then pulverized and added to my French press with coffee grounds with hot water. Better than a B complex and with minerals, all natural.

Raw buckwheat porridge made with soaked buckwheat ground up in the blender with chia seeds, cashew butter, pumpkin pie spice and coconut milk topped with fresh strawberries, blueberries, sliced banana, granola, pumpkin seeds and unsweetened flaked coconut.

To start: Coffee with sprouted barley powder and tahini/date milk

Green smoothie: Cucumber, red pepper, tomato, salt, a little cayenne pepper

Then toast with tofu and cucumber slices, lettuce, caramelized onion, garlic.

Last edited:
I made some toast with peanut butter and banana, for now. I'll make some oatmeal in a little while too.

Status
Not open for further replies.