Companion Animal Memorial Thread

Aw. Cute. My husband's mother had a cat that looked like Joon.

• Friendly
Reactions: KLS52
@KLS52 I've heard of something called "tortitude": supposedly, tortoiseshell cats are unusually assertive, or crabby, or just plain mean. But my family's cat Peasant was calico, with mostly a tortoiseshell coat- while my own adoptee Harriet was a straight tortie. These two cats had simply wonderful personalities: generally loving to humans, and not particularly aggressive to other cats or even other animals (except that Peasant hunted houseflies).

• Friendly
Reactions: PTree15 and Raven
@KLS52 I've heard of something called "tortitude": supposedly, tortoiseshell cats are unusually assertive, or crabby, or just plain mean. But my family's cat Peasant was calico, with mostly a tortoiseshell coat- while my own adoptee Harriet was a straight tortie. These two cats had simply wonderful personalities: generally loving to humans, and not particularly aggressive to other cats or even other animals (except that Peasant hunted houseflies).
I hear a lot about tortitude but Joon had none of it. She was the most amazing, sweet girl. She was very active and vocal and even when I was annoying her with unwanted attention, she never retaliated.

Stella is a calico/tortie blend...tortico. In my experience, calicos can be very nasty...kind of split personality where they come to you for attention and then bite/scratch when you least expect it. Stella was like this in the beginning. But over the last two years or so she has calmed down and no longer attacks. She's very affectionate and attention seeking to the point of being annoying. But she gets what she wants whenever she wants.

We had Sophie euthanized. It's been some time already, I just haven't wanted to bring it up. She was with us twenty years, already full grown. Sophie, Mimi, and Cali, all gone!
I really can't come to terms with euthanasia. She was consistently loosing weight, blind, and at the end staggering and not eating. it was such a hard decision, but it seemed so wrong to not know if she would be alright at the end, and alone.
I loved them all so so much, each in their own special way. Sophie was so full of spunk, and curiosity, and love

Now Bobby & Char, the ginger brothers have really stepped in to fill the void. they were always kind of by themselves, and now constant cuddlers

I miss them all greatly

I cannot believe I only have one cat now. It's unimaginable to me. And Stella just hasn't been herself. She was not particularly close to Joon but they did interact daily. I'm not sure if she misses her or not but she's eating less and has just been exceptionally quiet.

I'm also wondering if it's the presence of the puppy. She definitely doesn't like her. So I've put up a gate so that Stella can have access to the three bedrooms without the dog being able to bother her. And the dog gets the kitchen, dining/living room. But mostly she's downstairs or out and about with my son. So it's not like she spends more than 10-15 minutes upstairs, 2-3 times a day. I sit with Stella in the bedroom whenever I'm home, too, so she's getting extra attention.

Oh, @silva I am so very sorry. It's such a hard decision to know when and what to do when our companion animals become old and ill. Hugs to you.

I cannot believe I only have one cat now. It's unimaginable to me. And Stella just hasn't been herself. She was not particularly close to Joon but they did interact daily. I'm not sure if she misses her or not but she's eating less and has just been exceptionally quiet.

I'm also wondering if it's the presence of the puppy. She definitely doesn't like her. So I've put up a gate so that Stella can have access to the three bedrooms without the dog being able to bother her. And the dog gets the kitchen, dining/living room. But mostly she's downstairs or out and about with my son. So it's not like she spends more than 10-15 minutes upstairs, 2-3 times a day. I sit with Stella in the bedroom whenever I'm home, too, so she's getting extra attention.
Aw, poor thing, she has had a lot of changes in a short time.

• Friendly
  • Agree
Reactions: PTree15 and KLS52