Alex76

Forum Novice
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan newbie
Hi
Sorry i haven't been a round for a while
Am finding things hard at the moment to do with being veggie
I think am lacking in something as i am craving chicken ...i dont want to end up eating chicken cause i know that its wrong to eat it
But my nephew was here the other day eating chicken chow mien and i was craving it
I am recovering from an eating disorder and am just starting to eat right again so it could be that
I do have multi vitamins but i forget to take them most of the time
I think i need more protein as well i eat things like veggie burgers and quorn etc
But am not sure if am getting enough

Maybe i need to look at the videos about the meat industry but i have been avoiding them as they are very gory and i self injure and i don't want to trigger myself in to self injuring again
So am unsure what to do really

*hugs* Welcome back and sorry to hear youre having a tough time.

Was it the chicken or the chowmein you were craving? If it was the chowmien perhaps you are craving that savoury taste and maybe you could make some stirfry with faux chicken? I find the Asda chicken bits the nicest.

I think i was really craving the chow mien as i thought the noodles looked nice the place where we got the take out from dose veggie chow mien as well
so next time we get a take away i can ask for that
but i might add quorn pieces /asda chicken bits to it as well

Its quite common to crave extra tasty things when you are getting back to eating 'normally' I believe.
Sometimes I get cravings for meat/fish but when I think about it I find its the memory of eating that food that I want rather than the food itself, if that makes sence. :/

Yes it dose
I have only started to eat some what normal again before i was eating under 1000 calories a day other days i was eating about 300 calories
Other times i use to eat 700 calories a day

I am finding it hard to eat normally as think am going to put so much weight on and that i will be unhealthy
But i know that the eating disorder is the wrong way to go about it
i dont get any support for my eating disorder as i am obese and o can only get help if my BMI is under 17 my bmi is 41 at the moment
which is unhelpful

I think it's Frys (not) chicken burgers I have that are scarily like chicken! They look, taste and feel just like chicken burgers! I got them from Holland and Barratt. Maybe you could try them? Xxx

Reactions: Freesia
I think that cravings are entirely rooted in taste; otherwise, it would mean that my body is almost constantly lacking in that essential nutrient - chocolate. :cool:

IME, cravings for meat can essentially be broken down into three essential elements - seasonings, texture, and fat. When I get a craving for chicken, it's really for the coq au vin type of flavor that my mother's favorite chicken dish had, which was from the vegetables with which the chicken was roasted, and which I can duplicate, or it's from the flavor of chicken stew, which I can also duplicate using vegetables and lots of poultry seasoning, and which I make with dumplings steamed on the top. In other words, the taste I'm craving isn't really the meat (which actually doesn't have much flavor, in and of itself ) - it's the seasonings and other ingredients which provide almost all of the flavor, that and the fat. The texture part can be taken care of with fake meats, seitan, etc.

It sounds to me as though what you were craving was the low mein flavor - the chicken doesn't actually add to that flavor.

I think you are just plain hungry, and anything would smell good! :) I'm sorry you can't get help for your ED due to the stupid bmi restrictions.

My suggestion is to fill up on foods that are high in fiber, low in calories. Salad with no oil (balsamic vinegar or lime juice instead), or soups made of cabbage, celery, onions, tomatoes, mushrooms.

Have you heard of OA? It might be a place for you. http://www.oa.org/

I think that cravings are entirely rooted in taste; otherwise, it would mean that my body is almost constantly lacking in that essential nutrient - chocolate. :cool:

IME, cravings for meat can essentially be broken down into three essential elements - seasonings, texture, and fat. When I get a craving for chicken, it's really for the coq au vin type of flavor that my mother's favorite chicken dish had, which was from the vegetables with which the chicken was roasted, and which I can duplicate, or it's from the flavor of chicken stew, which I can also duplicate using vegetables and lots of poultry seasoning, and which I make with dumplings steamed on the top. In other words, the taste I'm craving isn't really the meat (which actually doesn't have much flavor, in and of itself ) - it's the seasonings and other ingredients which provide almost all of the flavor, that and the fat. The texture part can be taken care of with fake meats, seitan, etc.

It sounds to me as though what you were craving was the low mein flavor - the chicken doesn't actually add to that flavor.

Do you have recipe for coq au vin sans coq? :)

I usually crave meat (fried chicken especially) when I'm feeling like I deserve bad things like cigarettes or a slap. Maybe that's just me.

You're probably not missing out on anything, eat the veggie chow mein, it'll be just as good without the killing :)

I have herd of OA but am not an over eater ... Like i said before i was eating UNDER 1000 calories a day
i have looked for help before and there is nothing in Edinburgh ,Scotland for anyone like me
I have tried looking at the b-eat web site and they have no groups in Scotland at all
There use to be a group but i think it disbanded

I have herd of OA but am not an over eater ... Like i said before i was eating UNDER 1000 calories a day
i have looked for help before and there is nothing in Edinburgh ,Scotland for anyone like me
I have tried looking at the b-eat web site and they have no groups in Scotland at all
There use to be a group but i think it disbanded
I had an overweight friend who underate and she was helped by OA. She thought about food all the time even when she wasn't eating, so she was helped by it. She did binge sometimes, so maybe that is why she found it good for her situation.
Also, wiki says:
Overeaters Anonymous (OA) is a twelve-step program for people with problems related to food including, but not limited to, compulsive overeaters, those with binge eating disorder,bulimics and anorexics. Anyone with a problematic relationship with food is welcomed, as OA's Third Tradition states that the only requirement for memberships is a desire to stop eating compulsively.[1]

Hope you find a solution. :)

oh i thought it was for over eaters only i think i might try that then
there are meeting in Edinburgh of them