Crockapalooza (July 28-31, 2016)

Yup! I didn't find anything else to put in my jalapeno-pea stew... yet... but I put half of it in the fridge and half in the freezer. Instead of reheating it in portions as I have it, I'll cook different things- potatoes, different vegetables, maybe pasta or rice... and add some cold soup/stew to whatever I just cooked. It'll be like I made half-a-dozen different concoctions! (I do that a lot with legume dishes I make, actually- I use them as a base for something which changes every meal, depending on what else I'm having.)
Yay, Tom!! :jump: And that's really the smart way to do it... I'm already drooling over dishes you have yet to make! :drool: LOL

Reactions: Freesia
I'm signing off for tonight. I bought so much sh*t earlier. LOL :rolleyes: I was able to leave pretty much everything I bought at Jer's, 'cuz as I informed him, his house is crocka-taco party central! I just need to bring my Zyliss manual food processor (cripes, I love that damn thing so much), my tiny cutting board, my favorite Santoku knife.... oh, and the slow-cooker. :p

Reactions: Freesia and KLS52
Jeepers, it's quarter to 2 already!! If this sh*t's gonna take at least six hours, I need to get over to Jer's pretty damn soon! Yikes.
Think I've got everything. Forgot the damn salsa last night... oh, well, I'll live. Trying to figure out where the hell I should plug the crock in.... can't use one outlet (where toaster oven is) if you plan to use the microwave (opposite side of kitchen)... if both outlets are used simultaneously, we'll blow a fuse. :confused: LOL

I called Jer & sent two texts, haven't heard back yet.... **sigh** I'm not supposed to feel stressed, dammit. Shake it off! :rolleyes:

Reactions: Freesia
^^^ Don't worry- everything will be fine, even if things don't happen exactly as you and Jer have planned.

ETA: Can you plug the crockpot someplace else in the house, maybe where the wall outlets aren;t on the same circuit as the kitchen? (Hey- that reminds me... quite some time ago I was "mapping" what outlets and switches in my house were controlled by which circuit breaker in the cellar. I did a lot of it but I vaguely remember I didn't finish it. If I pretended it was a text adventure like "Zork", where you usually do a map while you play, I would have finished the thing by now...)

Change of plans. I'm at Jerry's now, using his laptop... no sign of/word from him.... as it is, we wouldn't be eating until close to midnight, and I don't have anything set up or prepped....
SO.... I'm still staying over, but I'll get going on the food TOMORROW, hopefully by noon, then we can eat at a semi-normal time.... and crash here again tomorrow night, pics posted Sunday.
Yeah, I feel way better about that plan. :up:

I was thinking of joining in, but I might be a day late! I am off Sunday, so I'm thinking beach day (a friend is coming down from my hometown), and Monday is a civic holiday, so maybe I'll do it then.

I got my hands on a couple of cans of Jackfruit (Yay, Asian market!), so I was thinking a vegan pulled pork type thing. I'll have to find a recipe!

Loving the sound of all this- jalapeño soup, tacos and pulled jackfruit... all sounds interesting :) .

I am done and dusted with my cooking (I actually did it on Wednesday!) but I have yet to sort the photos out and write it up here. Perhaps I will this evening :) .

There is a tree at the botanical garden in the tropical greenhouse which grows jackfruit. Interesting looking things they are.

Reactions: MadamSarcastra
Ok, so I will put the photos up now...

Firstly, there are the things that came into play on Wednesday.

The oven...

cpl1_zpsv9yer7in.jpg

The vegetables...

cpl2_zpswyym3mrz.jpg

The tofu..

cpl3_zpsb4ckysgm.jpg

The fried tofu, and toasted pine nuts..

cpl4_zpszad51vu0.jpg

The accomplices...

cpl5_zpsrvusoigx.jpg

cpl6_zpso1nnjizl.jpg

Then, it was all put together somehow. It wasnt easy, quite a bit of prep- chopping all those vegetables into little cubes and then making the liquidy tomato stock... putting the spices in.. tbh it came out a little bland, but the garnishes helped..
Also, I overbought... so I had difficulty fitting it in the baking dish.

cpl7_zps9iek7nre.jpg

Finally it was ready to take out of the oven...

cpl8_zpsgqybyl1m.jpg

Served, with the garnishes... chopped green olives, toasted pine nuts, avocado pieces, fried tofu cubes, and flat leaf parsley.

cpl9_zpshjvx9jmh.jpg

cpl99_zpswhllxrvx.jpg

Probably went a little overboard with the prettying it up.. I think I have been watching too many cooking programs.

Reactions: Chryssie and KLS52
You did an amazing job with all of the photos...everything looks so wonderful!

And yes, my favorites are the accomplices. :yes: [emoji176]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: MadamSarcastra
You did an amazing job with all of the photos...everything looks so wonderful!

And yes, my favorites are the accomplices. :yes: [emoji176]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They have both tried hard to eat my food too, after I prepared this dish.. :)

Reactions: KLS52