Crockapalooza (July 28-31, 2016)

Looks delicious!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That looks so awesome :) I wish we had the sorts of portabello mushrooms here that I had when i went through Florida-
i had one in a sandwich at Miami airport, it had a really nice flavour, so a whole stew of them = good.

Reactions: MadamSarcastra
That looks so awesome :) I wish we had the sorts of portabello mushrooms here that I had when i went through Florida-
i had one in a sandwich at Miami airport, it had a really nice flavour, so a whole stew of them = good.

Same here. I always eat them when I'm either in the UK or US. They are my favourite mushroom.

I love the flavor of portabellas, but I seem to need them nice & chopped up nowadays.... I've gotten a little funky 'bout the fungus in the last few years.... it's a texture thing with me, I think. LOL

@Jeremy That still looks f*cking amazing, by the way.... :drool: Seriously, making me salivate... cripes, I need food. Dude, that looks so damn good....

Yes, the portobellos in NZ are quite different. They are large and grey and have a lot of that dark stuff under the cap, whatever you call it..

. they are quite rubbery and have a strong, really earthy flavour which is almost a little bitter... very hardcore mushrooms. They make everything I cook them with a sort of slate grey.

So you cant really use a whole lot of them at once.. when i cook with them I tend to use mostly button mushrooms and then add perhaps 2 sliced portobellos 5 minutes from the end of cooking time.

I just got started on this. So I'll have pictures tonight! I'm going with the recipe on this website. Easy Peasy!

Slow Cooker BBQ Pulled Jackfruit - Namely Marly (PIC FROM WEBSITE)

20160124_092026_BBQ_Jackfruit.jpg

After being so certain that I had apple cider vinegar and nutmeg, I can't find either, and since rice vinegar has a bit of that sweetness in it, I used that instead. I didn't sub anything for the nutmeg, I just omitted it. If it wasn't a civic holiday, I'd just go to the grocery store to get these items, but I can't.

I also omitted the fresh cranberries since they were optional and I don't even think I can get those around here, not at the regular grocery store anyway.

I'll just taste it at some point and see what I can add to make it my own!

I just got started on this. So I'll have pictures tonight! I'm going with the recipe on this website. Easy Peasy!

Slow Cooker BBQ Pulled Jackfruit - Namely Marly (PIC FROM WEBSITE)

20160124_092026_BBQ_Jackfruit.jpg

After being so certain that I had apple cider vinegar and nutmeg, I can't find either, and since rice vinegar has a bit of that sweetness in it, I used that instead. I didn't sub anything for the nutmeg, I just omitted it. If it wasn't a civic holiday, I'd just go to the grocery store to get these items, but I can't.

I also omitted the fresh cranberries since they were optional and I don't even think I can get those around here, not at the regular grocery store anyway.

I'll just taste it at some point and see what I can add to make it my own!

I truly hope your experience with jackfruit is better than ours... The texture was there, but it was way too sweet and tangy. Maybe we got an inferior product.

I truly hope your experience with jackfruit is better than ours... The texture was there, but it was way too sweet and tangy. Maybe we got an inferior product.

From what I read, Jackfruit (the young variety in brine, not in syrup) is much like tofu in that it takes the flavour of the other ingredients and flavoring. So, we'll see. :)

From what I read, Jackfruit (the young variety in brine, not in syrup) is much like tofu in that it takes the flavour of the other ingredients and flavoring. So, we'll see. :)

I've tasted fresh grated Jackfruit at RFD. I had their street tacos and it was served as a garnish. I liked the texture but it was very bland.

IMG_6252.jpg

I set up a nummy leftover lunch for my father a short time ago. Nothin' fancy, easy cleanup. ;)
photoalbum_498994996_user70471033-1.jpg

Even pulled out the nooch & chopped some baby spinach into the lettuce....

photoalbum_498995004_user70471033-1.jpg
<---- Dad digs veg*an tacos!! :jump: He ate FIVE of 'em! LMAO :D

Reactions: Freesia and PTree15
I had the slow cooker on for about two hours when we decided to go out on a little family outing and wouldn't be back until way past the cooking time. So I turned it off.

We headed out and realized our tire had a not so slow leak. Looks like it's been punctured or slashed. We put the spare on and headed out to a park within the city as opposed to going to see Hopewell Rocks (Place of the highest tides in the world) which is about 40 minutes away.

On our way back from the park, we stopped near the university and pitched the tent we just bought for our vacation in a few weeks. We just wanted to make sure everything was ok with it BEFORE our vacation. We took it down immediately in case some security or cops noticed.

Then, we came back home and turned the cooker back on, on high this time!

I broke apart some of the Jackfruit and tasted a small piece, and so far so good. :)

My thoughts on this were: next time I'll just use a BBQ sauce I like and just cook the jackfruit in that.

It tasted good. Just a little bit tangy and sweet, but enjoyable. My hubby, who doesn't like to think to much about things that look and taste like meat said he liked it. But that might due to the fact that he's never had pulled pork. Neither have I. It never became a big thing here until a few years ago and I quit meat in 2005.

Anyway, on to pictures.

Apparently my pics are too big. I'll fix the issue and edit this post later.

My thoughts on this were: next time I'll just use a BBQ sauce I like and just cook the jackfruit in that.

It tasted good. Just a little bit tangy and sweet, but enjoyable. My hubby, who doesn't like to think to much about things that look and taste like meat said he liked it. But that might due to the fact that he's never had pulled pork. Neither have I. It never became a big thing here until a few years ago and I quit meat in 2005.

Anyway, on to pictures.

Apparently my pics are too big. I'll fix the issue and edit this post later.

You pretty much summed it up with a mirror of my experience. Maybe sauce would have made all the difference in the world. What we had was pre-packaged bbq jackfruit. It was almost like it was candied, ugh.

You pretty much summed it up with a mirror of my experience. Maybe sauce would have made all the difference in the world. What we had was pre-packaged bbq jackfruit. It was almost like it was candied, ugh.

I didn't feel that it was as bad as that. I wouldn't say it tasted almost candied. There was a full tablespoon of liquid smoke in the recipe, so maybe that helped.