Do you feel guilty if you don't read any/many books?

Do you feel guilty, punk?

• Yes I do

Votes: 8 29.6%
  • No I don't

Votes: 9 33.3%
  • I read lots so your question is moot buddy.

Votes: 9 33.3%
  • other

Votes: 1 3.7%

• Total voters
This actor is the reader of all of the A Song of Ice and Fire books (Game of Thrones for those of you more attuned to TV): Roy Dotrice - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

He did such a great job giving distinct voices to the different characters (224 of them in the first book alone), that I had to look him up because I was so impressed. He's 92 years old, and at the rate Martin is writing, he's not going to be around to finish recording the series, which bums me out.

Most books are easy to understand who says who. I have never problem to follow dialogues. I think it missed a bit of the reading experience when it's more people, and if they add noices too (walking, door opens etc) , I turn off at once. :p

Yeah, if sound effects are added, that's really irritating. I don't mind if there are different actors doing different parts of the book (for example, a female actress did the part of And the Mountains Echoed that were written from a female character's POV, and two male actors did the separate segments of the book that were written from male characters' POV), but I too dislike it when it bounces between actors all the time.

Can one read the Kindle Paperwhite in the dark - i.e., at night, without any other light being on?

Yes, that is possible, although my wife keeps claiming that it is "bad for the eyes"... I am not sure about that. Similar to what my parents told me 40 years ago that I would "ruin my eyes" by reading under the blanket with a flashlight...

Interesting thing ... when reading in the dark, you would actually be using a medium / slightly dark setting, while you would use the lightest setting in rooms that are lighted well.

Yes, that is possible, although my wife keeps claiming that it is "bad for the eyes"... I am not sure about that. Similar to what my parents told me 40 years ago that I would "ruin my eyes" by reading under the blanket with a flashlight...

Interesting thing ... when reading in the dark, you would actually be using a medium / slightly dark setting, while you would use the lightest setting in rooms that are lighted well.

Thanks, Andy!

I read a lot ... my husband not nearly as much ... he likes books about maps & I like ... well, history, literary fiction & books of letters ...

as for guilt ... it is a useless emotion ... it seldom solves anything & makes no one feel any better ...

I really enjoy reading but certainly do not read enough books during the course of the year.

I somehow do geel guilty for not doing so and have no idea why.o_O

I haven't read any books in a while, so I can actually answer this question now. No, I don't feel guilty. I do feel a bit embarrassed, or disappointed in myself, that I've been watching so much Netflix that I don't even read anymore. But that's more of a watching-too-much-TV issue than a not-reading-enough issue.

Reactions: KLS52
I went several years without reading a book! I don't think I felt exactly "guilty" about it just kind of amazed that it happened. I use to read TONS of books when I was young! I finally went back to the library and renewed my years expired library card and have gotten back to reading books, but not as much as in the past. Our lives do get so busy and there is so much other stuff... like the internet. :D

Reactions: KLS52
I used to read late at night all the time as a kid and I did end up with very bad eyesight, so maybe there is something in that urban legend.