Do you feel guilty if you don't read any/many books?

Do you feel guilty, punk?

• Yes I do

Votes: 8 29.6%
  • No I don't

Votes: 9 33.3%
  • I read lots so your question is moot buddy.

Votes: 9 33.3%
  • other

Votes: 1 3.7%

• Total voters
I feel a little guilty when I look at the pile of unread/half-read books by my bed, as several of them belong to friends who probably want them back by now :p I always finish books that I start, but I often get bored, so I have four or five on the go at once. It can take me months to get through one cover-to-cover, but in that time I will have read other books as well.

But rather than feeling guilty over not reading as much as I used to/would like to, I feel more... wistful, I guess. Reading is something I enjoy, that I just don't have as much time for any more, because I like to submerge myself in a story for several hours rather than reading for 15 minutes here and there.

I don't feel guilty about not reading a lot.

But what I feel aggravated by is when I go through a period of not being able find a book that engages me. Recently, I purchased three books in a row that just didn't capture my attention and now they are collecting dust.

The good news is, the next time I go to the library, I'll have a few books to donate.

I won a Kindle Fire recently in a contest. I haven't used it for much except yoga videos (lol). It's not paperwhite kindle, it's lit up, but maybe there is a setting like that that will make it easier, thanks. I really miss reading long long books.

Reactions: Poppy
I won a Kindle Fire recently in a contest. I haven't used it for much except yoga videos (lol). It's not paperwhite kindle, it's lit up, but maybe there is a setting like that that will make it easier, thanks. I really miss reading long long books.

Yeah, I watch videos on my Kindle Fire and read books on my iPod. :rolleyes:

Reactions: ledboots
Read More: The Simple System I Use to Read 30+ Books/Year
100 Good Books to Read: Book Recommendations by Topic

I thought I would finally try Audible as I could get a free book and started listening last night in bed. The first part was narrated by a woman and that was fine, but then the next part was narrated by a man and I did fall asleep!

I thought I would get an expensive book as it is free, but I just realised that it is almost 13 and a half hours long! It's going to take me ages to get through it. I know people on here said that you can do chores while you are listening, but I would estimate that I don't do that much housework in a fortnight.:p

I love the idea of audio books but I have an attention issue and I find myself getting distracted. So listening while doing something would not work for me. I would need to sit, quietly, somewhere and concentrate on what I was hearing. Actually, the more I think about it, this might be something worth looking into. Maybe sitting for 30-40 minutes with a good (calm) audio book would help me to relax and ease my anxiety. I've been saying how I really need to find some form of calming method and I can't seem to get into real meditation. Maybe something like an audio book would help. Watching the Walking Dead sure isn't the way to do it, haha.

KLS - have you listened to podcasts with guided meditations?

I cannot listen to an audiobook if I'm doing something that requires serious attention. I can only enjoy them when I'm walking or driving routes I'm very familiar with, or on the treadmill, or when I'm painting - which might sound odd, but the painting has to be to the point where all the issues are worked out and I'm "in the zone". Then audiobooks are a great help because my inner art critic is put on the back burner! :p

I purchased the Kindle keyboard

I also had the Kindle Keyboard (a few of them, to be precise, and some "Kindle Non-Touch") for a long time.
I was sceptical when the first paperwhite came out - the screen of the version I received was simply not as sharp as the one of my Kindle Keyboard when turning on the light, so I sent that back.

However, I have had the second version of the Kindle Paperwhite now for some time, and it is an incredible upgrade over the non-lighted one.

As far as the Kindle Fire is concerned, I also have one of these, but it is a tablet with all the disadvantages. The screen does have a refresh which puts some strain on the eyes, as opposed to the e-Ink versions, where the letters are firm and do not move. Also, it is quite hard to read when sitting outside in the sunlight.

So, if you have a possibility to try out an e-ink Kindle (preferably a lighted one), do give it a try. It is very different to reading on a phone or tablet.

KLS - have you listened to podcasts with guided meditations?

I cannot listen to an audiobook if I'm doing something that requires serious attention. I can only enjoy them when I'm walking or driving routes I'm very familiar with, or on the treadmill, or when I'm painting - which might sound odd, but the painting has to be to the point where all the issues are worked out and I'm "in the zone". Then audiobooks are a great help because my inner art critic is put on the back burner! :p
I tried a few links, a while back, that ledboots had posted. Not sure if they are considered podcasts.

I do feel guilty. I always have a book going but I'm a slow reader. I feel guilty for being on the internet or watching TV instead of reading.

I made a bad choice with the Audible book as it already has a animal cruelty part involving vivisection. It seemed worse hearing it instead of being able to read and skim over it.

I feel guilty. Like I should be enriching myself more lol. I was an English major at Ohio State University 24 years ago (and a dance major and a journalist minor lol...any wonder why I dropped out?). As of now, I read hundreds of doctors notes all day and many surgical op reports all day. by the time I get home, make dinner, and relax, I can't even see straight, let alone read anything more than a magazine article in the bathtub.

I did recently get some books from the library but I can't read more than a handful of pages each night. I can't seem to get into the ones I chose either.

I am a very creative person, and I love to write, so you'd think I would be drawn to more fiction and poetry readings. But I haven't read a fiction book in a very long time. I seem to be really picky when it comes to those. Even snobbish.

Reading books broadens your mind.

Reading some books on the topic was the main reason I recently decided to become vegetarian and partly/mostly vegan. I would be eating meat now if I hadn't.

Reading books gives you much more detailed and deep perspectives on things and gives you a better ability to look beyond the status quo. TV and to some extent the internet just feed back and reflect and recycle status quo.

I mean, you just turn on the TV and it's bombings this and that in Palestine, I mean, what is really going on. Purchase 2 books on my kindle and suddenly I understand way better than if I'd judged watch a TV report on the latest and supplemented it with some Wikipedia articles.

I like Thomas Hardy and Jane Austen and I think you learn about human nature and the world more by reading things like that. You understand people better from reading novels. My understanding of how girls think and typical relationship issues probably comes at least in part with novels. Thomas Hardy had one novel that changed the whole way I think about marriage.

Books combined with real life experience beats only the latter especially for interpreting issues such as animal rights or understanding things like world issues and politics.

To tie back to the vegan issue, I once read a science fiction novel, I think by Arthur C Clarke, although don't recall which one, where aliens come to our solar system, and they are from a purely herbivorous planet so have no concept of carnivores and become disgusted by it and struggle to accept humans. That is another interesting take on veganism.

Reactions: Blobbenstein
All I've heard has been read by real people. Most only one person, but a few is more like a radio show with several people (I hate those...).

Here in Norway, several actors have read different books, so they are good. And they won't sell good with a bad reader...
I would have thought that having different people read different parts would make it easier for the listener to keep the different characters in the book from getting mixed up.

I read, but it's mostly nonfiction. If I feel guilty, it's because the fiction I read isn't as high-quality as it should be (science fiction, fantasy).

I would have thought that having different people read different parts would make it easier for the listener to keep the different characters in the book from getting mixed up.

I read, but it's mostly nonfiction. If I feel guilty, it's because the fiction I read isn't as high-quality as it should be (science fiction, fantasy).

Most books are easy to understand who says who. I have never problem to follow dialogues. I think it missed a bit of the reading experience when it's more people, and if they add noices too (walking, door opens etc) , I turn off at once. :p