Do you feel guilty if you don't read any/many books?

Do you feel guilty, punk?

• Yes I do

Votes: 8 29.6%
  • No I don't

Votes: 9 33.3%
  • I read lots so your question is moot buddy.

Votes: 9 33.3%
  • other

Votes: 1 3.7%

• Total voters
I've always read a lot. In recent years,my eyesight has made reading a chore, so I listen to audio books. I don't even have to go to the library to get them - I can download audio books from the library onto my laptop, and from there, I transfer them to my mp3 player.

I used to be a very fast reader, so listening to them is a lot slower. On the plus side, I can listen to them while I'm doing other things, such as taking care of the animals, doing housework, chores, even while I'm on the internet. As a result, I get through as many books as when I read books on paper, even though it takes many more hours per book. I "read" anywhere from 5 to 7 a week.

I don't think there's any point to feeling "guilty" if you don't read, but I confess I feel a bit sorry for people who don't - you're missing out on a lot. (I feel the same about people who don't have an appreciation for animals, nature, music, good food - all the things that add depth and richness to life.)

I prefer to put audiobooks under "reading", as the story is the same. And I do listen to a lot of books during the year. I just (today) discovered how great Storytel has turned out, and planning to have a subscription on that now. :) A lot of great books there. :)

I like audiobooks, as they give the opotunity to listen to books where you can't read. Like in the car. :)

I used to read a lot when I was younger, now I mainly read on the internet. I feel like something has been lost.

Of course I don't have a much time as I used to have to read but I feel I should read more books, both fiction and non-fiction.

I was thinking of signing up to the free trial of Audible to see if I liked it, but when I've listened to a book instead of reading it I'm frustrated by how much time it takes up.

Reactions: ledboots
I was thinking of signing up to the free trial of Audible to see if I liked it, but when I've listened to a book instead of reading it I'm frustrated by how much time it takes up.

My experience is that it depends very on how fast you read. I guess most people that have no struggle with reading will read a bit faster than the audiobook, as it's faster to just read than read out loud. But in the other hand, audiobooks can be listen to a lot of places you can't read a book. :)

are audio books read by a real person, or is it done with a voice synthesiser?

I've only listened to a couple of audio books but they were both read by real people.

I do read in bed before I go to sleep sometimes, but I think if it was an audio book I might just nod off. I might still try it as the trial is free for the first 30 days anyway.:D

Stephen Hawking could narrate one without really being involved.....might be quite a good idea.

are audio books read by a real person, or is it done with a voice synthesiser?

All I've heard has been read by real people. Most only one person, but a few is more like a radio show with several people (I hate those...).

Here in Norway, several actors have read different books, so they are good. And they won't sell good with a bad reader...

Reactions: Poppy
I used to read a lot, and still read more than most people I'm guessing. I used to read 2-3 books a week until I got a car, because I used to spend several hours a day on public transport. I tried audio books in the car but found that I'd have to zone out to concentrate on the road and then miss bits. Now I probably read between 1 a week and 1 a month depending on how busy I am at work and how good the book is.

I do feel guilty for not reading as much as before. Also I'll admit I'm a little bit of a book snob. I love translated literature but recently I've just been too tired to concentrate on it. i picked up a hungarian book in a shop the other day, and the whole first page was one sentence. A few years ago I'd have seen it like a great challenge but now I just think "Meh let me find a young adult book instead" haha. I also feel guilty for not finishing books. Before I'd slog through no matter how dull, now I cant be bothered.

To everybody who would like to read more but finds it difficult due to deteriorating eyesight ... I would suggest you try out one of the new generation of lighted e-Ink e-readers (e.g. Kindle Paperwhite/Voyage, Kobo, Nook etc.)

Those are vastly superior to reading on iPads, phones, computer screens as you do not have a flickering screen that strains your eyes and that you can hardly read if you are sitting in the sun, and they are also superior IMO to paper books, because you can simply increase the text size to a size that makes it easy for you to read. Also, if you live in a country where there is not much light for a large part of the year (e.g. Northern countries), having a lighted screen allows you to read on badly lit public transport or similar.

For example, when I go to the gym, for my 10-minutes warm-up run on the treadmill, I put my Kindle on top of the display of the treadmill, increase the text size so that is easy to read even with the increased distance and the vibrations of running and have 10 minutes that are much less boring than if I was simply running. To flip pages, I simply touch the right side of the reader with my hand. Works like a charm. The downside is, in case of a really interesting book, I would continue to read a few pages between every set of weight lifting exercises instead of simply relaxing for one minute to catch my breath and continuing. When I was reading "The Martian", that book effectively sabotaged my workout, as I was much more interested in finding out what happened next than in doing my exercises, and my workout lasted for 2 hours instead of 45 minutes that day.

On top of that, e-readers are small, light (similar to a paperback book) and you simply open the e-reader and are at the last page that you were reading before (so even taking it with you to the loo for a mere 5 minutes makes a lot of sense as no time is wasted with searching where you were earlier).

My New-year reading resolutions typically are to spend LESS time reading, as lots of people are complaining that I am spending too much time with my nose in books.

Best regards,
Andy

Last edited:
Reactions: Mikkel and ledboots
Andy, I had wondered whether something like the Kindle Paperwhite would be a solution to my problem. Thank you for your input.

If your problem is reading, then yes. (It is not a computer or tablet, regarding your other thread).
I think you can order one from Amazon and try it out. I guess if you don't like it, you can send it back within some time.

There are also a number of other e-readers available, I personally have been using Kindles for some years, when there was not so much else on offer. There is one thing you have to watch out with any e-ink e-reader - do not bend it. The glass screen can easily break, simply by putting it into your pocket and bending it. I learned that the hard way, 3 weeks after I had bought my first kindle, I put it into my pocket to go to the beach, between my iPad and my iPod. When I was at the beach 20 minutes later, the screen was broken, although I had not mishandled the bag in any way. The good thing, however, was that Amazon ... just sent me a new one. If I had bought, e.g., a Sony e-reader, they would have regretted it but stated that I had unfortunately broken it myself. As Amazon wanted to keep selling me e-books, however, they immediately offered to send me a new one. If you use a good cover and do not throw it around, it should not be a problem, however.

The huge advantage, of any e-reader, however, is, that you feel the need to read a certain book, you connect to the internet (Wlan) and 5 minutes later you are reading the book. And there are a lot of older books where the copyright has expired that are available totally free, you can simply download them at Amazon.

@Andy_T Thanks for all that good information. I've put quite a few books on my iPhone since I got it in June, and I keep the screen bright so there's less eye strain, but it's nice to know there are other options.

I also want to add that if anyone is going to buy an e-reader, it's worth it to buy a protective case or sleeve and a screen protector for it. :yes:

Last edited:
I read the most when a family member was first diagnosed with MS. I purchased the Kindle keyboard and read every book out there on MS. If I am going to read at all, the Kindle helps me do that. I was never good at holding books and getting comfortable.

I downloaded the kindle app and now all of my books are available on my phone which is nice.

I read the most when a family member was first diagnosed with MS. I purchased the Kindle keyboard and read every book out there on MS. If I am going to read at all, the Kindle helps me do that. I was never good at holding books and getting comfortable.

I downloaded the kindle app and now all of my books are available on my phone which is nice.

What is the average price of an e book ?

As a Prime member many are free. I probably pay anywhere from $2-8. Occasionally I see some for $15 but I think they are new releases.