EPIC Vegan Food!

That food looked pretty disgusting. Its unfortunate, I think, that the emphasis is so often on making greasy things with fake meats, daiya, etc rather than more sophisticated dishes.

Last edited:
That food looked pretty disgusting. Its unfortunate, I think, that the emphasis is so often on making greasy things with fake meats, daiya, etc rather than more sophisticated dishes.

you talk about non-analogue food....what are these more sophisticated dishes you speak of?

I would agree it would be nice to try and convert meat eaters by using healthy/whole foods but I think one of the biggest roadblocks we have in the conversion process is that people don't want to give up the foods they love, and sadly, those foods are usually greasy, cheesy bad for you foods. I'm for whatever gets 'em over to our side.

Last edited:
you talk about non-analogue food....what are these more sophisticated dishes you speak of?
There are many Indian, Asian and Mediterranean dishes that are delicious and sophisticated culinary wise. While the Indian and Asian ones do require a bit of acculturation, the Mediterranean dishes usually have familiar flavors and ingredients. In a limited sense these traditions have been incorporated into western vegetarian food, for example, the use of hummus and tofu is common......but most is ignored.

I'm guessing that flyingsnail's favourite program isn't Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives...:p
They have that show in the UK? But yeah.....the stuff on that show looks gross. Nearly everything in it is some greasy dead animal.....I wonder at times if the show is funded in part by the meat industry.

..conversion process is that people don't want to give up the foods they love, and sadly, those foods are usually greasy, cheesy bad for you foods. I'm for whatever gets 'em over to our side.
I didn't really have in mind dishes that are necessarily more healthful, instead dishes that are more sophisticated and flavorful. The greasy foods highlighted in the video lack depth, flavor and are just mouthfuls of grease and refined flour. I understand that many people are hooked on such foods, but the alternatives are in general inferior. Daiya, fake meats, etc are inferior to their real counterparts so I think when you emphasize such foods you also emphasize the idea that vegetarian food is inferior food.

Vegetarian/vegan food culture in the west is, I think, a total mess.

I don't really like too spice foods...I didn't like the Indian curry I had once...although I use to like the Cantonese curries...I find some spices a bit depressing for some reason...

They have that show in the UK? But yeah.....the stuff on that show looks gross. Nearly everything in it is some greasy dead animal.....I wonder at times if the show is funded in part by the meat industry.

Yes, they have it on the Food Network. on free satellite.

I get the feeling that a lot of the programs on there are 'encouraged' by the meat industry....it's just non-stop meat most of the time.....do people really eat that much meat?

Some of that didn't look that nice but I bet most of it tastes delicious.:D I'm going to have to make a crispy tofu sandwich with homemade chips for dinner now.:lick:

Reactions: KLS52
I didn't really have in mind dishes that are necessarily more healthful, instead dishes that are more sophisticated and flavorful. The greasy foods highlighted in the video lack depth, flavor and are just mouthfuls of grease and refined flour. I understand that many people are hooked on such foods, but the alternatives are in general inferior.
Well, eye of the beholder, and all that. :)
Not to mention this particular issue is based on "the unhealthy vegan".

Reactions: Dedalus
I don't really like too spice foods...I didn't like the Indian curry I had once...although I use to like the Cantonese curries...I find some spices a bit depressing for some reason...
Indian cuisine is very diverse, it varies from region to region, so trying one curry once isn't going to tell you much about how well you like Indian food. But appreciating another cultures food will require a bit of acculturation, you have to get use to eating new ingredients, new spices, etc.

@flyingsnailOne thing I like about veg*nism is that people try different varieties of foods and tastes
Don't people do this in general?

Well, eye of the beholder, and all that. :)
Not to mention this particular issue is based on "the unhealthy vegan".
Taste is, to some degree, in the eye of the beholder and as I mentioned I realize that some people are hooked on greasy junk foods.....but there are also many people that are not. The sort of vegan food that is touted as "epic", or otherwise desirable, is typically greasy foods that are targeted towards teenagers and young adults that aren't worried yet about the quality of food they eat. So while this sort of thing may appeal to one demographic, its likely to alienate others.

But food traditions aren't just about taste, they are also about nutritional value....a veg*n food culture that routinely promotes foods with poor nutritional value will set people up for failure.
Failure to thrive will effect teenagers and young adults just as much as older folks and, in the former case, will have a big and lastly impact on their view veg*n diets.

Last edited:
I get the feeling that a lot of the programs on there are 'encouraged' by the meat industry....it's just non-stop meat most of the time.....do people really eat that much meat?
I'm not sure, growing up my family never ate a large amount of meat, I found this on US meat consumption:

A Nation Of Meat Eaters: See How It All Adds Up : The Salt : NPR

It says that in 2012 people eat 270 pounds of meat, which I don't think includes seafood, a year. But given this is an average and there are a good number of vegetarians, meat reducers, etc most people probably are eating closer to a pound or more a day. I think the dip starting in 2010 was likely due to the recession, I couldn't easily find more recent numbers.

Many omnis cook the same boring stuff over and over. This article is British but I'm sure a similar list exists for Americans.
Mothers rotate nine recipes to feed their families | Daily Mail Online

"Nine in ten mothers polled admitted cooking the same meals over and over again while one in four make the same meals on the same day of the week."...~snip~

..."And nine most relied-upon meals are....

1. Spaghetti Bolognese

2. Roast dinner

3. Shepherds Pie/Cottage Pie

4. Pasta dish

5. Meat and two veg

6. Pizza

7. Casserole/stew

8. Sausages and chips/mash

9. Indian/Curry"