EPIC Vegan Food!

Breakfast: Granola with soymilk with 1~2 servings of fruit (on the side or in the cereal).
Lunch: Low fat Bean salad sandwich (chickpea salad, black bean salad, etc) on whole wheat bread with a serving of fresh vegetables.
Snack: Almonds with dark chocolate pieces.
Dinner: Red lentil tomato sauce over 100% whole wheat pasta served with a serving of green peas and 1~2 cups worth of sauteed collards or kale.
Dessert: Fruit.

Now take a similar menu that I think would be more common:

Breakfast: Granola with almond milk with some fruit
Lunch: Veggie sandwich with mock cheese on white bread.
Snack: Some chips
Dinner: Tomato sauce with some fake chicken pieces over white pasta with some white garlic bread.
Dessert: Coconut ice cream.

This menu is not nutritionally adequate and too low in protein.

Isn't that natural when you put two extreme diets against each other?

What if it was -

Breakfast: Granola with soy milk and fruit.
Lunch: Sandwich with mock cheese and vegetables; side order of beans.
Snack: Almonds and dark chocolate.
Dinner: Lentils and"fake chicken"-tomato sauce over white pasta with a salad on the side.
Dessert: Fruit.

Reactions: Dedalus and KLS52
It means just wondering.

Also just wondering, maybe you don't 'get' why so many vegans are 'keen on mock meats' because you aren't vegan yourself.

For someone who 1) isn't vegan, and 2) doesn't have some sort of professional degree in nutrition, you sure do have a lot to say about what constitutes a perfectly healthy vegan diet.

*I* think its totally possible to be a perfectly healthy vegan and incorporate some 'junk' mock meats (as you call them) into your diet. Its all about moderation, no?

Just an few observations.

Boom, Scorp. :flower:

Many non-vegetarians have tried vegetarian foods and in terms of ignorance, wouldn't non-vegetarians be better able to compare than vegetarians who will only eat the mock meat? When non-vegetarians tell me that they prefer meats over mock-meats.....I take it at face value.

Well, let see; I ate meat for 40 years. So I think I have a pretty good idea how it tastes.

the issue is that mock meats don't impress non-vegetarians.

...in your experience. In my experience - (as I have already stated) those omni's who weren't impressed - hadn't really given faux meats a chance. Those that did try it with an open mind really enjoyed it.

Clearly FS - you have renounced seitan :devil: , and other mock meats, and will continue to do so, which is perfectly fine. We have differing opinions.

Reactions: ledboots
Also just wondering, maybe you don't 'get' why so many vegans are 'keen on mock meats' because you aren't vegan yourself.
My comment was more so a joke, I get the reason why vegetarians and vegans in the west tend to consume mock meats.....I just think its something that should be largely avoided. Considering I don't eat meat, I reckon I would be in the same boat as vegans regarding mock meat.

For someone who 1) isn't vegan, and 2) doesn't have some sort of professional degree in nutrition, you sure do have a lot to say about what constitutes a perfectly healthy vegan diet.
You asked me about a clinical degree not whether I had a formal education in nutrition. One can learn, formally, about nutrition in a variety of fields.......but my educational background is irrelevant to the issue. Also, I'm not sure why being vegan would be a prerequisite to talking about plant-based nutrition. In fact, vegans routinely quote plant-based advocates that are not vegan (e.g., T Collins Campbell).

*I* think its totally possible to be a perfectly healthy vegan and incorporate some 'junk' mock meats (as you call them) into your diet.
I have not suggested in this thread that one needs to entirely avoid mock meats to be healthy, instead I have suggested that mock meats aren't healthful and many have junk-food status. As such they are the sort of food that should be minimized, like one would do with potato chips, rather than routinely build meals on.

Isn't that natural when you put two extreme diets against each other?
I'm not sure what makes either of the menus extreme, the first was intended to be an example of a healthful and protein rich plant-based menu without the use of mock meat and cheese and the second was intended to be a similar menu, with similar calories, based on more common food choices.

Your adjusted menu, while better than the one I cited, still has some problems and would be more calories since you mostly added food rather than substituted. Part of the issue is that when you eat mock meats, mock cheese, etc you're displacing more nutritious and health promoting foods in your diet. One can only eat so many calories before they start to gain weight.

Well, let see; I ate meat for 40 years. So I think I have a pretty good idea how it tastes.
Memories fade quickly, I would never use my tastes to determine whether something tastes like, for example, beef because its been many years since I've eaten it.......instead I defer to people that still eat it.

Clearly FS - you have renounced seitan :devil: , and other mock meats, and will continue to do so, which is perfectly fine. We have differing opinions.
If taste was the only issue here there would be no discussion, but there are nutritional issues and cultural issues at play here and I think both point to the avoidance, or at least minimization, of mock meats and mock cheese. But, still, on the matter of taste I think you'd be hard pressed to find non-vegetarians that think mock meats taste as good as real meats.

My comment was more so a joke, I get the reason why vegetarians and vegans in the west tend to consume mock meats.....I just think its something that should be largely avoided. Considering I don't eat meat, I reckon I would be in the same boat as vegans regarding mock meat.

You asked me about a clinical degree not whether I had a formal education in nutrition. One can learn, formally, about nutrition in a variety of fields.......but my educational background is irrelevant to the issue. Also, I'm not sure why being vegan would be a prerequisite to talking about plant-based nutrition. In fact, vegans routinely quote plant-based advocates that are not vegan (e.g., T Collins Campbell).

I have not suggested in this thread that one needs to entirely avoid mock meats to be healthy, instead I have suggested that mock meats aren't healthful and many have junk-food status. As such they are the sort of food that should be minimized, like one would do with potato chips, rather than routinely build meals on.
You said in a previous post: " Vegan/vegetarian food culture in the west is, I think, a total mess."

And your being vegetarian, consuming eggs and or dairy, it is quite easy to avoid mock meats/cheeses. There are many more choices for vegetarians than vegans have, so maybe just let each vegan decide what he will eat.

ETA: potato chips are not comparable to mock meats.

Memories fade quickly, I would never use my tastes to determine whether something tastes like, for example, beef because its been many years since I've eaten it.......instead I defer to people that still eat it.

Sadly - I have not and doubt that I ever will forget the taste of meat - especially beef - rare and bloody - and the occasional spitting out of gristle - not to mention all the cooked / undercooked varieties of fat.

I will happily eat seitan that tastes like cardboard rather than flesh. And not complain about it either.

If taste was the only issue here there would be no discussion, but there are nutritional issues and cultural issues at play here and I think both point to the avoidance, or at least minimization, of mock meats and mock cheese.

I'm confused by this response, because on the contrary - as demonstrated in this thread - we have had and exhaustive discussion about taste. ?

As to the nutritional and cultural issues - my argument would be towards the avoidance of animal products altogether.

I'm not sure what makes either of the menus extreme, the first was intended to be an example of a healthful and protein rich plant-based menu without the use of mock meat and cheese and the second was intended to be a similar menu, with similar calories, based on more common food choices.

Well, no, the problem was that the menu was totally different even if one didn't consider the faux meat/cheese

Your adjusted menu, while better than the one I cited, still has some problems and would be more calories since you mostly added food rather than substituted. Part of the issue is that when you eat mock meats, mock cheese, etc you're displacing more nutritious and health promoting foods in your diet. One can only eat so many calories before they start to gain weight.

The problem here as I see it, is that we have no hard numbers to crunch regarding how much that really is required to stay healthful. Since it's different for most people as well, how can you say that my version will total out as being nutritionally unsound? It's not that I don't consider a viable option, although it might be a tad bit short on the calories and protein, depending on your level of activity.

You said in a previous post: " Vegan/vegetarian food culture in the west is, I think, a total mess."

And your being vegetarian, consuming eggs and or dairy, it is quite easy to avoid mock meats/cheeses. There are many more choices for vegetarians than vegans have, so maybe just let each vegan decide what he will eat.
Yes, I said that I think vegan and vegetarian food culture in the west is a mess.....but when did I say I eat dairy or eggs? But I don't see why eating dairy or eggs would make it more difficult to avoid mock meat, avoiding mock meat is simply a matter of adjusting the way you think about and prepare food.

ETA: potato chips are not comparable to mock meats.
I disagree, the same considerations that make potato chips junk food also make many mock meats junk food. Why is some oil, protein isolate, refined starch and salt more nutritious than some oil, potatoes and salt? The potato chips are actually less refined.... The reason people don't think of them as the same is because they are using rule foods derived from their prior meat-based food culture.

I disagree, the same considerations that make potato chips junk food also make many mock meats junk food. Why is some oil, protein isolate, refined starch and salt more nutritious than some oil, potatoes and salt?

Because they contain less fat, less simple carbs, more protein and are often fortified with nutrition.

The potato chips are actually less refined.... The reason people don't think of them as the same is because they are using rule foods derived from their prior meat-based food culture.

Being more refined doesn't automatically make it worse.

The candy comment was made in relation to mock cheese, I mentioned in my previous post that mock meats usually have higher nutritional value than mock cheese and that they are at times fortified. But if you fortify a candy bar is it then a nutritious dinner food?

It would then become a meal replacement bar, which is what many people are having instead of dinner or lunch.

I'm confused by this response, because on the contrary - as demonstrated in this thread - we have had and exhaustive discussion about taste. ?As to the nutritional and cultural issues - my argument would be towards the avoidance of animal products altogether.
The point of my comment was that if the only issue here were my particular taste preferences than there wouldn't be an issue. I personally think seitan tastes like cardboard, but I wouldn't use that as a basis to argue against seitan, instead its that non-vegetarians tend to think of mock dishes as inferior to what they are use to eating and as a result think of vegetarianism as some sort of great sacrifice. That is, I think, unfortunate because traditional vegetarian food prepared with whole ingredients is just as delicious....but few people are being exposed to this sort of vegetarian food.

Well, no, the problem was that the menu was totally different even if one didn't consider the faux meat/cheese

The problem here as I see it, is that we have no hard numbers to crunch regarding how much that really is required to stay healthful. Since it's different for most people as well, how can you say that my version will total out as being nutritionally unsound? It's not that I don't consider a viable option, although it might be a tad bit short on the calories and protein, depending on your level of activity
The other major difference was the use of refined rather than whole grains, but the use of refined grains is more common and I find that the routine consumption of refined grains and mock meats go hand to hand. But no matter how you substitute matters, if you replace mock meats and cheese for more nutritious alternatives is going to lower the nutritional value of the menu and at some point the menu starts to become nutritionally unbalanced. To some degree, as you mentioned before, people can offset the poor nutritional value of mock meat and cheese by including foods with very high nutritional value but that requires conscious effort and doesn't seem to be common practice. People that are concerned with the healthfulness of their diet tend to make healthful choices in general, where as routine consumption of mock meats/cheese tends to follow other less than wholesome dietary practices (e.g., consumption of rich deserts, consumption of refined grains, etc). But my second menu wasn't overtly bad, I think many people would think of it as being relatively healthy. A second issue is that mock meats tend to negative attributes above and beyond their low nutritional value, for example, most are very high in sodium (to hide the cardboard taste!) and many are high in refined fats.

I think we have a pretty good idea about what is required to stay healthy and if a vegetarian and vegan follows dietary recommendations it doesn't leave much room for mock cheese, mock meats, etc. I don't think there is much question on this front, I think the question is whether vegetarians and vegans can routinely eat mock meats/cheese and maintain a nutritionally adequate, even if unhealthy, diet. I think the answer to this is, in general, no and the high number of failed vegetarians and vegans is a testament to it. Many ex-vegetarians and vegans report a failure to thrive.

Because they contain less fat, less simple carbs, more protein and are often fortified with nutrition.
Many mock meats contain just as much of fat as potato chips. Having less carbohydrate and more protein doesn't make them more healthful, I think this notion is based on the association between "protein" and nutritious foods (e.g., meat) in western culture and the new anti-carb dietary fad.

Fortified nutrients aren't the same as naturally occurring nutrients and you can fortify anything, for example, if we fortified potato chips, candy bars, etc would they become healthy foods? You say if we fortify a candy bar it becomes a "meal replacement bar", but why? In this case can't we all just take a daily multi-vitamin and then all the junk food we want and be fine? I ask these as a sort of reductio argument, but we know from numerous studies that supplements and fortification doesn't have the same positive outcomes as eating whole foods.

Being more refined doesn't automatically make it worse.
I think it does, refining removes most nutrients and creates a highly digestible food that subverts our metabolic system.

The point of my comment was that if the only issue here were my particular taste preferences than there wouldn't be an issue. I personally think seitan tastes like cardboard, but I wouldn't use that as a basis to argue against seitan, instead its that non-vegetarians tend to think of mock dishes as inferior to what they are use to eating and as a result think of vegetarianism as some sort of great sacrifice. That is, I think, unfortunate because traditional vegetarian food prepared with whole ingredients is just as delicious....but few people are being exposed to this sort of vegetarian food.

The other major difference was the use of refined rather than whole grains, but the use of refined grains is more common and I find that the routine consumption of refined grains and mock meats go hand to hand. But no matter how you substitute matters, if you replace mock meats and cheese for more nutritious alternatives is going to lower the nutritional value of the menu and at some point the menu starts to become nutritionally unbalanced. To some degree, as you mentioned before, people can offset the poor nutritional value of mock meat and cheese by including foods with very high nutritional value but that requires conscious effort and doesn't seem to be common practice. People that are concerned with the healthfulness of their diet tend to make healthful choices in general, where as routine consumption of mock meats/cheese tends to follow other less than wholesome dietary practices (e.g., consumption of rich deserts, consumption of refined grains, etc). But my second menu wasn't overtly bad, I think many people would think of it as being relatively healthy. A second issue is that mock meats tend to negative attributes above and beyond their low nutritional value, for example, most are very high in sodium (to hide the cardboard taste!) and many are high in refined fats.

I think we have a pretty good idea about what is required to stay healthy and if a vegetarian and vegan follows dietary recommendations it doesn't leave much room for mock cheese, mock meats, etc. I don't think there is much question on this front, I think the question is whether vegetarians and vegans can routinely eat mock meats/cheese and maintain a nutritionally adequate, even if unhealthy, diet. I think the answer to this is, in general, no and the high number of failed vegetarians and vegans is a testament to it. Many ex-vegetarians and vegans report a failure to thrive.

You've made about a zillion claims here, do you want to back any of it up with a link or something?

Reactions: Scorpius
You've made about a zillion claims here, do you want to back any of it up with a link or something?
Sure but some of the claims you highlighted were explicitly phrased to indicate that they were my personal observations and some aren't critical to my argument. The quoted post references two separate arguments, the first is regarding the culinary quality of traditional vegetarian dishes (many of which are vegan) vs mock vegetarian and vegan dishes. This argument is, admittedly, speculative because we'd have to do taste tests, ideally blind, to get an objective sense of how non-vegetarians respond to the respective meals. Right now we have a situation where the producers of mock meat, mock cheese, etc are the dominate marketing force. They sponsor events, they sponsor chefs to teach people to use their products, etc ......but what if these products aren't an effective means of promoting plant oriented diets? I suspect they aren't, and I can of course be wrong, but what I worry about is allowing the food industry to dictate matters before we have a good understanding of how to most effectively promote plant-oriented diets.

The second is, I think, a direct corollary of the current nutritional recommendations and current nutritional science. There are, unfortunately, no official dietary recommendations for vegetarians or vegans in the west but we can look at the standard recommendations and make relevant adjustments, for example Ginny's plant plate:

Plant-Plate-Infographic.jpg

This plate is missing the emphasis on whole grains which has been a standard recommendation for years (do I need to cite this?) and is, I think, a bit oriented towards women in its serving suggestions but if one ate according to this plate there isn't that much room, calorie wise, for other food items. One could use any extra calories on mock meats and cheese but then one would have to be pretty pious in other parts of their diet. For example, no desert, minimal use of oil, etc. My point was never that one needs to completely avoid mock meats and cheese but instead that these items should be properly categorized as a less than healthful food and something you can add to your diet after you've met nutritional guidelines (plant plate) and standard recommendations (e.g., recommendations for sodium). What I think is occurring in the veg community is that people are using the standard plate, which is based on meat and dairy, to guide their meals and using mock foods to make substitutes....but the standard plate isn't applicable to vegetarians and vegans and mock meat and cheese aren't nutritional substitutes for real meat and cheese.

In terms of failed vegetarians, according to surveys the most common reason vegetarians return to eating meat is their health:

Why Do Most Vegetarians Go Back To Eating Meat? | Psychology Today

Last edited:
I couldn't even get through that article it was so ridiculous, sorry. "I'd take a dead cow over anemia" ?? I don't know who these people are, but they aren't the type that are found here or anyone who I would care to associate with.

Reactions: ledboots
"My doctor recommended that I eat some form of meat as I was not getting any better. I thought it would be hypocritical of me to just eat chicken and fish as they are just as much and animal as a cow or pig. So I went from no meat to all meat." :fp: If I was feeling ill and my GP suggested I needed meat as a treatment I would get a new doctor.
I'm sure the doctor in this case wasn't vegetarian and was just trying to help his patient the only way he knew how, that is, the doctor probably didn't know enough about vegetarian nutrition to help his patient resolve his issue while maintaining a vegetarian diet. And, yes, if someone is dedicated to a vegetarian diet and was having health problems that may be attributed to the diet they should seek a doctor that is familiar with vegetarian diets.

I couldn't even get through that article it was so ridiculous, sorry. "I'd take a dead cow over anemia" ?? I don't know who these people are, but they aren't the type that are found here or anyone who I would care to associate with.
What was ridiculous about it? The article was based on a survey, according to the survey the top reason vegetarians return to eating meat are health issues. You may not like that these people didn't seek help, but I was citing this as evidence that many vegetarians and vegans have trouble thriving due to poor nutritional information. This is one of the few surveys on the topic.

I'm sure the doctor in this case wasn't vegetarian and was just trying to help his patient the only way he knew how, that is, the doctor probably didn't know enough about vegetarian nutrition to help his patient resolve his issue while maintaining a vegetarian diet. And, yes, if someone is dedicated to a vegetarian diet and was having health problems that may be attributed to the diet they should seek a doctor that is familiar with vegetarian diets.

I don't see why they would need a doctor familiar with vegetarian diets at all, they would just need a competent doctor who would rule out other reasons for them feeling ill like taking blood tests/ checking thyroid function and then if they thought that their health issue was in any way related to a vegetarian diet then they could refer them onto a nutritionist. They could have a gluten allergy or something.

I have to say anyway that I've been vegetarian since 1993 and vegan since 2006 and I don't buy that so many people have to go back to eating meat because of their "health" problems. I think it is much more likely that it is a psychological pull to go back to eating in a familiar, more socially acceptable way. There is so much nutritional information online that I find it hard to believe that people could be getting a vegetarian/vegan diet so wrong.

I would think a vegan diet could potentially cause more health problems but most vegans I've encountered are quite careful about B12, calcium, vitamin D supplementation etc... to avoid deficiencies.

Reactions: PTree15
I don't see why they would need a doctor familiar with vegetarian diets at all, they would just need a competent doctor who would rule out other reasons for them feeling ill like taking blood tests/ checking thyroid function and then if they thought that their health issue was in any way related to a vegetarian diet then they could refer them onto a nutritionist.
I'm sure these people's doctors did run tests, it would irresponsible not to, and have concluded that part of their problem is their diet. If the doctor ate meat and in addition wasn't familiar with plant-based nutrition I can see why they would recommend a return to eating meat....its just the easy way to deal with the issue. Your average nutritionist wouldn't necessarily be of more help either....many aren't familiar with plant-based nutrition. You can become a nutritionist or dietitian without learning much of anything about plant-based nutrition. Anyhow since the US medical system is so focused on drugs and procedures as primary care, medical professionals that are both medical and nutrition savvy are somewhat rare. But I only quoted the article for the survey.

I have to say anyway that I've been vegetarian since 1993 and vegan since 2006 and I don't buy that so many people have to go back to eating meat because of their "health" problems. I think it is much more likely that it is a psychological pull to go back to eating in a familiar, more socially acceptable way. There is so much nutritional information online that I find it hard to believe that people could be getting a vegetarian/vegan diet so wrong.
But people do routinely get it wrong, much of the information online is conflicting and industry promoted junk. The survey I cited included social reasons as one of the options, I see no reason to believe that a significant percent of the people that said they stopped for health reasons were deluding themselves. When I see how many vegetarians and vegans eat I have no trouble believing many return to eating meat, dairy, etc due to health problems.

I would think a vegan diet could potentially cause more health problems but most vegans I've encountered are quite careful about B12, calcium, vitamin D supplementation etc... to avoid deficiencies.
I'm not sure whether people are having more trouble with vegan diets than vegetarian, both have potential weaknesses but vegetarians have an easier time getting high quality protein. I don't think most vegans are careful with those things, there are a lot of myths that circulate in the vegan community. For example, many believe that protein leeches calcium from your body and if you're not eating a lot of protein you don't have to worry so much about calcium. According to the EPIC-Oxford data, vegans have higher hip fraction rates than non-vegans and this appears to be due to low calcium intake:

Comparative fracture risk in vegetarians and... [Eur J Clin Nutr. 2007] - PubMed - NCBI