How do you differ IRL?

How do you differ IRL?

• Total voters

SummerRain

I dreamed that God would be forgiving.
Reaction score
Just curious!

I was wondering whether people IRL (In real life) would know who I was on a forum, and I wondered what you guys thought about how you are different on forums and IRL. There could have been a million options but I tried to put the ones I thought were more likely and more general.

You can see who put what in the poll btw :)

I selected exactly the same, which isn't entirely true. With me, what you see is what you get. I'm not one of those people who hides behind the anonymity of the Internet or builds a persona to fit the board or situation.

If anything, I hold back more IRL.

I put shy: Because I am at meeting new people, or being in large groups.

Funnier: Because I tend to hold back online, I dont think people will fully get my jokes.

Harsher: Because Im a Northern girl who can and does tell (people who understand my thought patterns) what I think. Sometimes coming across very mean but I dont mean to be.

I'm more shy, especially with bigger groups of people. My introvert personality is more obvious IRL than online. But in smaller groups, and with friends, I feel more comfortable and my humour can be a bit more edgy than what you see on here. I'm also one of those quiet northern types who need a pint of beer to loosen up a bit.

I put exactly the same. I am to the best of my knowledge, at least. I'm usually all in, couldn't hold back if I tried. :)

Generally quieter, I can go for extremely long periods of time without saying a word in social situations.

Much funnier - it's the dominant aspect of my personality irl, but my humour is deadpan and all about timing, which is basically impossible to convey online. I'm big on word play, but without timing, I feel it's not funny, so I don't tend to express that online, either.

I'm a pretty quiet person & shy around people I don't know very well. Also much more of a listener than a talker - seem to post much more about my life & feelings online. Sometimes I think my friends don't even know me that well because I just don't talk about myself much.

Shy - I'm very shy and awkward at first.

Jokier - I wouldn't say funnier, but I'm more sarcastic in real life/always joking around. I tend to turn it off a bit on forums as its hard to detect tone and is almost always taken the wrong way.

I'm funnier IRL - there's nothing like poking fun at oneself to make other people feel comfortable.

Also, since I have a rather soft voice, the things I say undoubtedly come across differently than when I type them. :p

Reactions: RascalsMom
I was wondering whether people IRL would know who I was on a forum, and I wondered what you guys thought about how you are different on forums and IRL. There could have been a million options but I tried to put the ones I thought were more likely and more general.

Interesting topic.:) I have met quite a few people that I met online and the majority are far more quiet and thoughtful then they seem online.

ETA - I'm probably harsher IRL.

Reactions: SummerRain
In real life I'm usually funny first, serious second, like I am on the Internet -- but I'm probably more shy. I'm pretty shy in any environment, online or otherwise, until I feel comfortable in it.

I think... I'm not different on forums but I am more careful to word things in a less flippant/blunt way than I would IRL because people who don't know me personally might take offense, and I never like to offend people, but whereas IRL I can avoid that easily by facial expression/tone/body language/etc, you need to word things carefully on forums and I think that makes me come across as serious. IRL people say I am very blunt... which I think is the main difference between IRL and on forums.

I think forums bring out the "shyer" aspects of my personality too, I like to communicate with people one-to-one generally, and a forum is the complete opposite of that really. So I think I'm more chatty/outgoing in real life because then I can easily talk to people one-on-one, whereas that's difficult on forums. I guess it's weird I'm on any forums at all actually because it's like being at a big party where everyone is chatting, and I really bloody hate that!

Notice I say forums not "online". I think I'm exactly the same on messengers/facebook/email/webchat/private messaging/etc are real life.