July Health Challenge (2016)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I lost a little better than three quarters of a pound this week. First week where I've lost less than 2lbs, boo!

Reactions: KLS52
That's still awesome, Jeremy. Your body has to get used to your new weight, plus, now you don't have as much to lose, so it might slow down some. You are doing great!

I lost a little better than three quarters of a pound this week. First week where I've lost less than 2lbs, boo!

Well done. However, being a young man it is far easier to lose weight than for a middle aged woman. The kilos just don't seem to budge anymore.:)

I find the challenge of keeping weight off after a diet far more difficult than actually losing it.

I find the challenge of keeping weight off after a diet far more difficult than actually losing it.
No truer words...

After doing so well with Weight Watchers, I did keep the weight off for six months. But as soon as I stopped keeping track of my points, (I was sure I "knew" what I needed to do on my own), I slowly started to put a few pounds back on. At first I didn't mind at all because I lost more weight than I needed to. Even though I am still several lbs lighter, I am at the top end of where I should be. I would like to drop 5-6 lbs. but this seems to be the weight my body is comfortable at even if my mind is not. As long as I don't gain anymore I will be ok.

No truer words...

After doing so well with Weight Watchers, I did keep the weight off for six months. But as soon as I stopped keeping track of my points, (I was sure I "knew" what I needed to do on my own), I slowly started to put a few pounds back on. At first I didn't mind at all because I lost more weight than I needed to. Even though I am still several lbs lighter, I am at the top end of where I should be. I would like to drop 5-6 lbs. but this seems to be the weight my body is comfortable at even if my mind is not. As long as I don't gain anymore I will be ok.

I'm not familiar with WW's even though I have heard of them numerous times. I'm not a fan of counting points or calories as it seems far too restrictive to my mind. However, whatever works for each individual is fine. Everyone is so different when it comes to losing weight. We also have different relations with food. Moreover it is very difficult to lose weight when you're + 50.

What kind of a daily menu did you have?

I need to lose quite a lot of weight as not only it is bad for my health but I don't feel good when I'm overweight. Since being on a veggie diet I have gained quite a few kilos.
None of my clothes fit and I'm certainly not going to buy a new wardrobe.

It is so not fair that men lose weight with a lot less effort! I have been trying to lose 10 pounds forever it seems! The counting calories works but it is so tedious! I am not sure I can keep that up after I drop these pounds. I do think the portion control has to be a lifelong commitment but sometimes it is so hard. Eating out is a really huge challenge as the portions are enormous!

It is so not fair that men lose weight with a lot less effort! I have been trying to lose 10 pounds forever it seems! The counting calories works but it is so tedious! I am not sure I can keep that up after I drop these pounds. I do think the portion control has to be a lifelong commitment but sometimes it is so hard. Eating out is a really huge challenge as the portions are enormous!

There certainly are not over here.:D

Argh I know! My husband snacks quite a lot, and still remains a beanpole. All I have to do is look at cake and I gain a couple of pounds :p

Although, to be fair, it might be genetics too... his mum is naturally slim, whereas both of my parents are on the stockier side. I'm trying my hardest not to focus on the weight - I'm working instead on loving my body, trying to feed it mostly things which are good for it, and making it super strong. A little weight loss should come naturally with that, but if it doesn't I won't care if as long as I can bench press my wonderful stick-husband :p

Well done. However, being a young man it is far easier to lose weight than for a middle aged woman. The kilos just don't seem to budge anymore.:)

I actually have a theory about that. I think that maybe a "diet" that you go on, and then go off of perhaps isn't the way to go. Make your diet a permanent lifestyle change that there's no coming back from. Once hitting your goal weight, it's figuring out what sort of work will go into maintaining. I'm sure there is a formula for maintaining with a calorie budget, just like there is for losing.

I actually have a theory about that. I think that maybe a "diet" that you go on, and then go off of perhaps isn't the way to go. Make your diet a permanent lifestyle change that there's no coming back from. Once hitting your goal weight, it's figuring out what sort of work will go into maintaining. I'm sure there is a formula for maintaining with a calorie budget, just like there is for losing.

Yep. Pretty much just eat about the same amount of energy as you use. There are more complicated ones, like things to eat to maintain weight whilst toning up or building muscle, but basically... just eat a little bit more than you would to lose weight.

Argh I know! My husband snacks quite a lot, and still remains a beanpole. All I have to do is look at cake and I gain a couple of pounds :p

Although, to be fair, it might be genetics too... his mum is naturally slim, whereas both of my parents are on the stockier side. I'm trying my hardest not to focus on the weight - I'm working instead on loving my body, trying to feed it mostly things which are good for it, and making it super strong. A little weight loss should come naturally with that, but if it doesn't I won't care if as long as I can bench press my wonderful stick-husband :p

Don't you just hate those people ? :p

Yes and no. Theory and practise is quite different.

I like all kinds of food except for junk food. The only problem is that I have a hearty appetite. As I have previously stated, woman tend to be naturally a bit overweight once they hit the 50 mark.

I agree it is very hard to lose weight when one is "middle aged." I will be happy to have less "muffin top" and will never be "skinny." I think if you are too thin you look bony and unhealthy! And older! A couple extra pounds is ok!

Don't you just hate those people ? :p

Yes and no. Theory and practise is quite different.

I like all kinds of food except for junk food. The only problem is that I have a hearty appetite. As I have previously stated, woman tend to be naturally a bit overweight once they hit the 50 mark.

Oh yeah, what you're saying is true. And trust me, my appetite has been known to be quite demanding :D Making a permanent lifestyle change is not an easy ordeal, you're not wrong. I can also agree that it isn't as easy to lose for women, especially women of a certain age.

This month is really tough for me. I am struggling with depression, anxiety, self doubt. I have a rib/muscle injury that will not completely heal, getting worse again, going on 10 weeks, and I am starting to wonder if it is related to my diet, or what. I am unable to dance the way I want to, can not go full out with my weight lifting/calisthenic routines. I have to be so careful with my cycling, always worried about making my injury worse to the point of not being able to breath or move again. I see my rheumatologist again but not until late August. :/

I try to be social but it is a struggle for me. I went to a vegan Meetup again last night but I just didn't feel like part of the group. Sometimes I just want to isolate into my own world. I feel worthless and stupid much of the time. And I see so much judgment from others all the time, so much intolerance.

Just feeling really discouraged. Not sure of my goals or what I want anymore. Except for this rib injury to just go away already!

Oh yeah, what you're saying is true. And trust me, my appetite has been known to be quite demanding :D Making a permanent lifestyle change is not an easy ordeal, you're not wrong. I can also agree that it isn't as easy to lose for women, especially women of a certain age.

Yeeeessss. I just look at a cake and gain 100 g.

I'll have to invent a semi starvation diet to be slim. Having said that I know many woman that are slim but they
are under nourished and don't eat enough.
A friend of mine who is very slim, eats no breakfast, fish and steamed veg for lunch, dinner is veg soup and either a yogurt or apple purée for dessert. No treats, no chocolate etc. She says that you need willpower and doesn't understand how people get fat.

This month is really tough for me. I am struggling with depression, anxiety, self doubt. I have a rib/muscle injury that will not completely heal, getting worse again, going on 10 weeks, and I am starting to wonder if it is related to my diet, or what. I am unable to dance the way I want to, can not go full out with my weight lifting/calisthenic routines. I have to be so careful with my cycling, always worried about making my injury worse to the point of not being able to breath or move again. I see my rheumatologist again but not until late August. :/

I try to be social but it is a struggle for me. I went to a vegan Meetup again last night but I just didn't feel like part of the group. Sometimes I just want to isolate into my own world. I feel worthless and stupid much of the time. And I see so much judgment from others all the time, so much intolerance.

Just feeling really discouraged. Not sure of my goals or what I want anymore. Except for this rib injury to just go away already!

:hug:

A friend of mine who is very slim, eats no breakfast, fish and steamed veg for lunch, dinner is veg soup and either a yogurt or apple purée for dessert. No treats, no chocolate etc. She says that you need willpower and doesn't understand how people get fat.

I would rather be fat and happy.:D

I meant to say about my blood pressure again, sorry.:oops::D

I think I am sensitive to caffeine as my blood pressure has dropped so dramatically and that is the only thing that I have changed about my lifestyle. I was getting a racing heart which I thought was due to anxiety, but now I think it was a reaction to too much caffeine.

Blood Pressure: SYS DIAS HEART RATE

7th June 2016 - 139 / 98 / 120

10th July 2016 - 103 / 75 / 102

:hug:

Sometimes survival is enough of a goal. Remember that depression is a liar, and you are worth so much more than it tells you.

With regards to the rib - have you seen a doctor?

I meant to say about my blood pressure again, sorry.:oops::D

I think I am sensitive to caffeine as my blood pressure has dropped so dramatically and that is the only thing that I have changed about my lifestyle. I was getting a racing heart which I thought was due to anxiety, but now I think it was a reaction to too much caffeine.

Blood Pressure: SYS DIAS HEART RATE

7th June 2016 - 139 / 98 / 120

10th July 2016 - 103 / 75 / 102

Don't forget that you need to have a reading more than once.

Status
Not open for further replies.