July Health Challenge (2016)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought a blood pressure monitor so I have been taking it daily. It's been dropping almost every day.:)

I see. If you're feeling fine it's not dangerous to have low blood pressure compared to having high bp. That is always what the doctor has told me.

I actually have a theory about that. I think that maybe a "diet" that you go on, and then go off of perhaps isn't the way to go. Make your diet a permanent lifestyle change that there's no coming back from. Once hitting your goal weight, it's figuring out what sort of work will go into maintaining. I'm sure there is a formula for maintaining with a calorie budget, just like there is for losing.
This, exactly. With WW I had 26 points a day plus an extra 49 for the entire week. Depending on the person's metabolism and rate if activity, you could lose anywhere from .5 - 1 lb. a week. I averaged 5 lbs per month nut used very few of the extra 49 points. Once you go on maintenance, instead of 26 points I got 32. Obviously, I went off that and once I stopped tracking points I found myself eating a little more here and there so the lbs started creeping back. Portion control is a huge part of it.

The good part is it is a lifestyle change...but you have to keep it up, continue to make the smart, healthy choices and not overeat. My problem is I want yummy greasy food and snacks every day. That's my battle. I can't have both...all the food I crave and a healthy body weight.

For me, I was not happy when I was overweight. I became depressed and lost all desire to socialize...maybe because I was thin most my life. I'm sure it's a mental thing. I obsess over everything...weight, hair, aging. So weight is the only thing I can control. Im good where I'm at now but I do not want to gain any more. All that hard work will have been wasted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree it is very hard to lose weight when one is "middle aged." I will be happy to have less "muffin top" and will never be "skinny." I think if you are too thin you look bony and unhealthy! And older! A couple extra pounds is ok!
Oh man, I totally shriveled up when the 30 lbs came off! I was too thin and bony at first which is why when I gained the first 5-6 lbs back I didn't mind. It's the second 5-6 lbs that are pissing me off, lol.

I meant to say about my blood pressure again, sorry.:oops::D

I think I am sensitive to caffeine as my blood pressure has dropped so dramatically and that is the only thing that I have changed about my lifestyle. I was getting a racing heart which I thought was due to anxiety, but now I think it was a reaction to too much caffeine.

Blood Pressure: SYS DIAS HEART RATE

7th June 2016 - 139 / 98 / 120

10th July 2016 - 103 / 75 / 102
Caffeine can definitely affect your heart rate and blood pressure. Keep a check on it, though. I complained about a racing heart rate all through my late twenties to my forties. The doctors always dismissed it because they couldn't catch it whenever I was in the office and they knew I had anxiety. Really, really long story short, at 42 I had a procedure to correct an abnormal electrical pathway in my heart. So I wasn't imagining it. If you are feeling better with less caffeine that is good. Just don't dismiss it if it continues and starts to bother you. I forget how old you are...I think you are my oldest daughter's age. [emoji4]

This month is really tough for me. I am struggling with depression, anxiety, self doubt. I have a rib/muscle injury that will not completely heal, getting worse again, going on 10 weeks, and I am starting to wonder if it is related to my diet, or what. I am unable to dance the way I want to, can not go full out with my weight lifting/calisthenic routines. I have to be so careful with my cycling, always worried about making my injury worse to the point of not being able to breath or move again. I see my rheumatologist again but not until late August. :/

I try to be social but it is a struggle for me. I went to a vegan Meetup again last night but I just didn't feel like part of the group. Sometimes I just want to isolate into my own world. I feel worthless and stupid much of the time. And I see so much judgment from others all the time, so much intolerance.

Just feeling really discouraged. Not sure of my goals or what I want anymore. Except for this rib injury to just go away already!

I think it's pretty unlikely that it has anything to do with your diet. Perhaps part of the issue with the rib healing is that you're trying to keep active despite of the injury. Maybe taking it easy for a couple weeks would be a good idea.

People can be horrible, and even the more so on the Internet. You just have to keep on keeping on. Have you been to the doctor? If not, it might be a good idea for both the injury and the depression.

Reactions: Naturebound1
:hug:

Sometimes survival is enough of a goal. Remember that depression is a liar, and you are worth so much more than it tells you.

With regards to the rib - have you seen a doctor?
I saw my primary doctor about a month or so ago, and she didn't seem to think it was any big deal. She thought it was a muscle strain, though I almost jumped off the table when she felt a spot on my rib. However, I do have a long history of osteoporosis and this concerns me. I had my latest osteoporosis shot at the rheumatoligist office a few weeks ago and I mentioned my injury to the nurse, and she said if it keeps up to get it x-rayed. I guess I will have to go back to my primary and request an x-ray. I have spent a ridiculous amount of money out of pocket this year for medical expenses. All this WITH health insurance. :mad:

I used to be so disciplined about what I ate and could maintain a slender figure fairly easily. But since menopause 3 years ago - oh man, I just can't seem to make myself care anymore. I'm not overweight exactly, but definitely pudgy, especially around the middle. I'd like to lose 5 - 7 pounds, but it honestly seems impossible. I don't even eat sweets (but a container of hummus or a block of vegan smoked gouda is not safe around me. :rolleyes:)

And I don't exercise nearly as much anymore. I think that should be my goal - to get in 4 - 5 walks every week and 2 - 3 yoga sessions.

Reactions: PTree15 and KLS52
Today was weigh in day. I lost .4 pounds which is not much but at least something! I got on the treadmill this morning for 30 minutes. I have been wearing the fit bit but have only gotten between 3000 and 4000 steps the last few days. This is working as a cashier or in the office with not much walking around at all. I have not been scheduled on the floor the next couple weeks which is what I really want to know.

Today was weigh in day. I lost .4 pounds which is not much but at least something! I got on the treadmill this morning for 30 minutes. I have been wearing the fit bit but have only gotten between 3000 and 4000 steps the last few days. This is working as a cashier or in the office with not much walking around at all. I have not been scheduled on the floor the next couple weeks which is what I really want to know.

Well done.

I hit 12,000 steps today...I had to do a 35, 12 and then a 25 min walk, though.

It is hard. I have a desk job but I'm up and down all day long...not enough to get near 10,000 though. I absolutely have to get out and do an intentional walk or two in order to do it. Days when I haven't slept well the night before set me back, too. But I'm happy on the days I can do it. I figure, I'm moving...some days slower than others, but I'm moving.

I am going to try to do the 30 minutes treadmill on the days I work in the office as I am not on my feet the whole shift like I am when I am a cashier or floor associate. When I do a 5 and a half hour shift totally on my feet, I have sore legs and feet and cannot even think about getting on the treadmill!

I am going to try to do the 30 minutes treadmill on the days I work in the office as I am not on my feet the whole shift like I am when I am a cashier or floor associate. When I do a 5 and a half hour shift totally on my feet, I have sore legs and feet and cannot even think about getting on the treadmill!

I remember how much my feet used to hurt when I worked in a coffee shop after a 7 hour shift. It was hell. Then when I worked in an office environment I used to get a bad back from sitting down all day.:rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.