UK Product Thread

yey....One of my fav things used to be cheese and crackets with gherkins and chutneys...with a huge glass of tomato juice. Im glad those days will return soon!

Rant time- I bought a bag of aunt Bessie's home style chips, didn't look at the ingredients (as its chips, I thought it was always just potatoes and oil) and then when I went to check how long they need to be cooked for I saw there's milk powder in the ingredients! Wtf?! Why on earth do you need to add milk to chips? I have a kilo bag here now and no idea what to do with them.

I was so mad when I discovered that! You can either eat them and never buy them again, or give them to a friend, or if they're unopened you should be able to return them.

Can't eat them as once I know something has milk in it I'm psychologically put off. I bought them a while ago and can't remember where from so I can't return them. I live away from home during the week and I don't know anyone here... I'll probably just leave them in the freezer and hope that eventually someone comes to visit that I can feed them to.

When I had non veggie stuff in to use (that M couldnt have eaten on his own) I just invited a few friends round and said 'dont worry Ill supply the food' and gave them all the stuff I couldnt eat...rotten..perhaps. But it solved the problem lol.

Reactions: AeryFairy
Hehe yeah it's a good idea. My friend just visited though and nobody else is likely to come except my boyfriend (who bodybuilds and eats to a certain calorie limit and probably wouldn't eat chips) for ages. I just wish it wasn't such a big bag taking up like a quarter of my freezer space, but oh well. Someone will visit again eventually, I hope.

Im sure theyll get eaten soon :)
(milk in chips is tiny compared to the mess up I made last week...I ate noodles that had beef stock in them!):sob:

Im sure theyll get eaten soon :)
(milk in chips is tiny compared to the mess up I made last week...I ate noodles that had beef stock in them!):sob:

Oh no :( I hate finding out after the fact. Nothing to do but put it out of your mind and you know never to eat them again. Was it a restaurant or is it a brand to avoid?

It was Asda brand 'pot noodle'
The description was 'textured soya protien beef and tomato flavoured snack'
So i figure like proper potnoodles theyre at least veggie. Checked the Allergy :no milk/eggs etc...Chomp chomp...rinsing the pot for the recycling and saw in the ingredients 'Natural Beef Flavourings'

Checked the pot and could find a V logo which I was sure Id seen when I bought them.Must have been Veggie-goggles!

Aw, I hate that. :( I keep making mistakes shopping online and my fiance has to eat the vegetarian but not vegan things I buy by mistake :oops: firstly I bought bean burgers, but didn't check no substitutions so they substituted them with non vegan veggie burgers. Then I could have swore these chestnut and mushroom cutlets were vegan but I got them and they had egg in. Then I asked my fiance to buy me glamorgon sausages, not realising tesco do their own ones with cheese (I wanted goodlife ones) which he got. He's had a good few weeks, but I haven't!

On the bright side I have a big kilo jar of boiled sweets which are vegan! Goodbye teeth! I also have stocked up on british flags, bunting and paper chains and am decorating my living room because I had to leave work early because the computers were down. A teeny bit late, but plenty of olympic fun yet to enjoy.

^ It's so easy to make mistakes like that. I was so annoyed when I bought some soya cheese and it had added lactose or something.

You can always send the substitutions back for a refund (although I guess it's easier to keep them if there's someone in the house that will eat them).

I got a voucher in Superdrug which entitled me to get a free Graze box. I signed up to it but then it seemed like a lot of hassle so I didn't get mine and they gave me the fifth box for free too but when by cancelling they offered me another deal which was two boxes for £2.99 each or something.

If you like instant cupcake and muffin mixes when you're feeling lazy (I know I do) there are vegan double choc chip muffin mixes and fairy cake mixes in home bargains for 79p (each makes 12 I think), obviously just need to use egg substitute (or flax or a banana or apple purée) instead of egg when making.

Ooo good find!

I bought some Asda brand Apple and Blackcurrent pies...I think they are vegan...but after my beefy mishap..Im questioning my label reading skills...
Ingredients

Apple and Blackcurrant Filling (47%) [Sugar, Bramley Apple, Blackcurrant Purée, Bramley Apple Purée, Blackcurrants , Dextrose, Glucose Syrup, Modified Maize Starch, Citric Acid, Adipic Acid, Preservatives (Potassium Sorbate, Sulphur Dioxide , Sodium Metabisulphate)] , Wheat flour , Vegetable Oil , Glucose Syrup , Sugar , Dextrose , Salt , Raising Agents (Diphosphates, Sodium Bicarbonate) , Preservative (Potassium Sorbate) .

Allergy Advice

Contains Gluten. Contains Wheat. May Contain Nuts. May Contain Sesame Seeds. Contains Sulphur Dioxide/Sulphites. May contain traces of nuts and/or sesame seeds.

Ooo good find!

I bought some Asda brand Apple and Blackcurrent pies...I think they are vegan...but after my beefy mishap..Im questioning my label reading skills...

I've had those a few times. Yummy warm with Alpro soya cream.

So they are vegan?? We had them with Provamel custard (currently 49p at B&M)

Ok so I know this isnt a recipe thread per say but...Brand name potnoodles, the chicken and Mushroom ones arent vegan because they have milk in. Well. I was craving one so bad...I made my own vegan version. I used Sainsburys veggie(you could use chicken flavour aswell) 29p noodles, added some chopped mushrooms,asda chicken bits and some frozen peas and sweetcorn. No kidding...vegan and sooooo good!

Reactions: lucky_charm
I just assumed they are vegan based on ingredients, if you are worried you could email to ask though.

I always look for 'Vegetarian' if it says that then I check the Allgery for 'dairy/eggs'...if its "clean" then A quick scanread of the ingredients. But I made a mistake last week and now I doubt my reading skills :oops:

just saw on Tescos site: Food Heaven Lemon Dairy Free Cheesecake

832%5C5021254901832%5CIDShot_225x225.jpg

Ingredients

Soya Based Non Dairy Soft Cheese Alternative 32.4% {Cultured Water from Premium Soya Beans, Non-Hydrogenated Vegetable Oils, Modified Potato Starch, Sugar, Salt, Emulsifying Salt (Calcium Citrate), Emulsifiers (Mono and Diglycerides of Fatty Acids), Flavouring, Preservative (Potassium Sorbate)},Soya Milk 24.9% {Water, Hulled Soya Beans (5.6%), Emulsifying Salt (Tri-Calcium Phosphate), Maltodextrin, Flavouring, Stabiliser, (Gellan Gum)} ,Sugar ,Margarine (Vegetable Oil, Water, Salt, Emulsifier (E471), Colours (E160b, E100), Flavouring ,Gram Flour ,Pounded Yam ,Rice Flour ,Lemon Juice from Concentrate ,Natural Lemon Flavouring ,Gelling Agent (Agar) ,Stabiliser (Carob Gum) ,Vanilla Flavouring (Colour E150) ,Turmeric

http://www.tesco.com/groceries/Product/Details/?id=273981825

----

It says it's vegetarian. but is is vegan...?

Looks good anyway.